• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Dr. Tony Evans said in a sermon series a few years ago, "There are 2 types of Christians...soul winners and backsliders". He goes on to expound they we were saved unto good works. we not saved merely for ourselves, but also for who we might impact for him. Does this statement create an argument in your mind to disqualify it a dogmatic preaching or does it convict you of what you are called to be doing on a constant basis?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

The way I see it there are two types of Christians the sheep and the goats

The goats are always saying buttt butt, butt buttt but, that equals="No"

Then you have the sheep and they are alway saying yeesss Lord, yesss Lord, yes Lord yeess, and that equals="Yes"

That pretty much sums it up for me.

:emot-pray:

OC

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

my answer is Yes it does...besides sheeps, goats , we have eagles and turkeys....gobble, gobble.

Well wait a minute now...not every person goes out winning souls and the parables say different...we all backslide and I hate that word. We can turn away for years...we can turn away for seconds....patricia1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  28
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  05/24/1986

There are more than 2 types of Christians. There are also double minded christians who are neighter hot nor cold! :noidea:

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

There are more than 2 types of Christians. There are also double minded christians who are neither hot nor cold! :24:

Good point LadyGirl.

• Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Dr. Tony Evans said in a sermon series a few years ago, "There are 2 types of Christians...soul winners and backsliders". He goes on to expound they we were saved unto good works. we not saved merely for ourselves, but also for who we might impact for him. Does this statement create an argument in your mind to disqualify it a dogmatic preaching or does it convict you of what you are called to be doing on a constant basis?

Two years ago that would have convicted me. Now I would say I would disqualify it as dogmatic.

It is not for us as people to say who is on either of these sides as a Christian. I am these days percieved by many including family members to be a backslider because I have come away from the "institutional church", for lack of a better term. I no longer attend church, way too long of a story to explain in one sitting and that is another topic. Those people who judge me as having turned my back on God though have no idea of the seeking I have been through since leaving, they have no idea of the study I have partaken in, they know nothing of MY relationship with God and the constant cry within me to do right in His sight and His alone..... Likewise I know nothing of theirs.

I have sat in meetings with similar preaching and felt absolutley guilt ridden, not convicted, guilt ridden over never leading anyone to the Lord and judged by man, not God over this issue.

There is only one type of Christian..... And that is..... A Christian..... And as Christians it is not our place to put each other in boxes due to our perceptions of anothers outward appearence or actions. When I talk of actions or appearence I don't mean sinful, I'm talking in action versus inaction to witness, preach, etc. Do not judge lest you be judged. No man knows anothers heart or motives only God. Likewise only God knows who IS and IS NOT a Christian.

I've never led anyone to the Lord persay but I've given an old lady time out of my day whilst shopping, I've given the mum struggling with her tantrumous toddler a knowing smile and comment to let her know it is normal and OK not to be embarressed, I've texted friends at times they despratley needed to know God was in their corner. On a daily basis I'm sure God does use me in little ways for him. I never say I'm a Christian, I never say can I pray but to that little old lady in the shop maybe she just needed to know someone cared enough to listen. My point being I may not preach, I may not shout hey I'm a Christian but that is because God created me to be me and the Preachers to be Preachers and the Artists to be Artists.

God uses us all and ONLY HE has the right to judge each one of us. Doesn't he tell us that we will be suprised who is in heaven and who isn't?

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

I've never led anyone to the Lord persay but I've given an old lady time out of my day whilst shopping, I've given the mum struggling with her tantrumous toddler a knowing smile and comment to let her know it is normal and OK not to be embarressed, I've texted friends at times they despratley needed to know God was in their corner. On a daily basis I'm sure God does use me in little ways for him. I never say I'm a Christian, I never say can I pray but to that little old lady in the shop maybe she just needed to know someone cared enough to listen. My point being I may not preach, I may not shout hey I'm a Christian but that is because God created me to be me and the Preachers to be Preachers and the Artists to be Artists.

God uses us all and ONLY HE has the right to judge each one of us. Doesn't he tell us that we will be suprised who is in heaven and who isn't?

Well said GymRose.

1 Corinthians 12:5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.

1 Corinthians 12:18 But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19 If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, but one body. 21 The eye cannot say to the hand,

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

God can use whoever He wants for whatever purpose He wants. :24:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

This statement would exclude that mighty prayer worriers who are in total silence to the world but have pure access to God through prayer. They are interceding for the millions who are in trouble. They are not the ones who are out seeking the lost in public, but the quiet person who never speaks.

The one thing I don't like about his argument, which has been mentioned, is that Dr Evans places everyone in one of two categories, totally eliminating the new brother or sister that has just come to the Lord. What about the sick who are in the hospitals or those in jail. We also have homeless who are saved that nobody would even give a second of their time to.

No, his statement does not convict me, but upsets me. To think that a person with his stature would condemn many who are not able to be "soul winners" to "backsliders" is not from His Spirit, but from Dr. Evans own convictions and mind set.

This is my first impression of the OP, admitting that, like scripture, it may be just a few world taken out of context to gain an argument. I have never heard of Dr. Evans before this post.

Edited for spelling as always ...