ps127v1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

What education level should one called to preach have to be a pastor?

Guest LadyC

my first thought is, God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

my second thought is, we are ALL preachers, or should be, in our daily walk.

however, my third thought is that you're talking about becoming an actual ordained minister. that really depends on the denomination and who is ordaining you, because the criteria varies from church to church. some churches may require you to go through seminary and get your m-div. others may ordain you with no formal education at all, if you meet whatever other criteria they have.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  432
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/05/1979

none...unless the church that you want to preach for says diferrent...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  421
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Sufficient and not more than to be able to communicate the love of Jesus Christ effectively to those for whom one has been called by God to be their pastor.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

In 1 Timothy 3:6, we read ... not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil.

We also find in 2 Peter 1:5-11

Fruitful Growth in the Faith

But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Being a preacher is an honorable position and should be sought with much prayer.

As for the educational qualifications ... anyone can get a license to preach and be ordained over the internet ...

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Carpenter is good enough for me.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

This has been beat to death here...and I recall being trounced by folks who don't think a Pastor should have any special education. My own personal conviction (me, not the Lord) is that the Pastor should be at least as educated as his congregation. In my last church, I was on the Pastor Search committee and our (educational) requirement was a minimum M.Div or equivalent because that particular congregation was highly educated. My present church is roughly the same demographic and my husband, also the pastor, has a Th.D. Which is handy, because they sure ask tough questions.

When you consider the early church, while it is true the earliest of Pastors (Timothy Titus, Barnabas, Mark, Apollos) were not "seminary" educated, they weren't educational slouches, either. Some where trained by Paul, who was highly educated. Jesus Himself taught His Apostles, and He was a rabbi.

So, I care a lot about the spiritual food I am being fed, and I prefer being fed by someone who is a "chef" and is able to prepare a spiritual feast, not somebody who is able only to toss a Swanson frozen dinner in the microwave.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

Well, most folks I know aspire to go up, not down. No doubt a preacher must know the bible enough to be able to teach from it. Having some business sense doesn't hurt if folks expect him to actually run the church. And most definately leadership qualities, and that usually coincides with an education.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

To go with education level, do you like a preacher that goes chapter by chapter and line by line or one who preaches topically?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/21/1990

my first thought is, God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

Amen! I wanter a preacher who dwells in the presence of God, He isn't afraid to preach truth, daily in scripture seeking out God, and Has had the Word of God burned in His heart. As far as education goes, its good to have a knowledge of church history, men of old, but we often put what is subordinate over that which is primarily important.

Burn

Edited by BurnForChrist