The New Economy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.07
  • Days Won:  78

Good idea from a friend of mine: Payless and other stores have Buy One/Get One Half Off sales pretty much all the time. The key is to shop with a friend and have one person buy both pairs. This is legal and the stores don't care. I like this idea so much I'm going to try it out right away. :thumbsup:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

I buy a lot of stuff at dollar stores. But some things you can get cheaper at other stores.

Example: diet soda, Kroger brand, used to be 59 cents for a two liter bottle, but 99 cents or $1.00 at the dollar store. I don't drink diet soda any more so I haven't known how much it is at Kroger for a while now.

I buy a lot of stuff at dollar stores. But some things you can get cheaper at other stores.

Example: diet soda, Kroger brand, used to be 59 cents for a two liter bottle, but 99 cents or $1.00 at the dollar store. I don't drink diet soda any more so I haven't known how much it is at Kroger for a while now.

I buy lots of things at the Dollar stores too, kat. Especially laundry stuff and paper goods, including greeting cards (seems I'm buying those every week!). Pet food is also cheaper. We have several different types of the dollar stores here and sometimes I'm amazed at how much money you can save. Who cares if the detergent doesn't come from an upscale store? :thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  432
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/05/1979

i tkink the worst thing you can do is cut back!!!!!!! if you are cutting back how are you giving more?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

i tkink the worst thing you can do is cut back!!!!!!! if you are cutting back how are you giving more?

I know the economy is better the more that is put into it, but some of us don't have a choice.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/28/1966

I love dollar tree!!!

And you know, I've discovered a thing called Freecycle.

It's great.

You put out requests for things you need, and can offer free things from your home others need.

Keeps things out of the landfill and yet gets them out of my house too.

And you know, when it comes to cutting back, less is definitely more.

I love knowing all my used "stuff" goes to somebody else who really wants and needs it.

And as far as still helping the local economy, believe me, we still spend lots and lots enough to support it. Can't stop buying necessities. We just find ways to be more wise about our spending.

I don't think that's a crime.

With my daughter's wedding being 2 weeks away, spending is a little crazy right now.

I'm helping out the local economy by leaps and bounds to the ache of my pocketbook.

:huh:

Reducing spending is a good thing; do you know how many American's live on credit cards? I don't even really need to economize; I don't support anyone but myself but I love to save money and (see the post about white vinegar) cut down on pollutants. Besides, cutting out fast food is one of the best things I ever did for my waistline. I don't understand what you mean by "if you are cutting back how are you giving more?" :emot-questioned:

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,912
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Never have so many owed so much to so few :emot-questioned:

Never have so many owed so much to so few :emot-questioned:

This is true...and not in a good way. ;)

I love dollar tree!!!

And you know, I've discovered a thing called Freecycle.

It's great.

You put out requests for things you need, and can offer free things from your home others need.

Keeps things out of the landfill and yet gets them out of my house too.

And you know, when it comes to cutting back, less is definitely more.

I love knowing all my used "stuff" goes to somebody else who really wants and needs it.

And as far as still helping the local economy, believe me, we still spend lots and lots enough to support it. Can't stop buying necessities. We just find ways to be more wise about our spending.

I don't think that's a crime.

With my daughter's wedding being 2 weeks away, spending is a little crazy right now.

I'm helping out the local economy by leaps and bounds to the ache of my pocketbook.

:emot-questioned:

I do this too; I recycle just about everything. Furniture and clothing are given away instead of thrown away. My kids pass on baby clothes and buy used baby furniture. That gets passed on when they no longer need it too. And, you're right; reusing and recycling keep it out of the landfill. My family also trades off magazines. We buy a couple and then when we visit we drop them off and pick up the stack that's ready; this works out since we all have different tastes in magazines. We're Irish descent but I swear there's a Scot back there in the family tree somewhere!

I can sympathize with the wedding expenses, odditblue, but it's SO worth it! We did my oldest daughter's wedding for $4500.00; at a country club, no less! It was all about everyone pitching in; free florist, free photographer, free dj and music (her cousin) and she bought her designer gown ($1,900.00 original price) for 100.00 on E-bay. It had never been worn. The only really big expense was the chef and the caterers at the club. It was a beautiful wedding and very upscale .......for very little. I hope your daughter's is just as wonderful. ;)