The New Economy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

It seems that everyone, regardless of income, is feeling the pain of rising prices. My own big cost saver makes me smile every time I think about it. This year I switched my phone service to my cable/internet company and I'm paying $67.00 less per month for the same number, same features, and 911 works even if the service is interrupted. And, it's all one bill; cable/phone/internet. If you can get this 'bundle' deal in your area, I strongly urge you to look into it.

I'd like to hear how the rest of you are dealing with the increased costs of everything from diapers to donuts..... :24:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I've already bundled my tv, cable and phones. Good idea. Right now I'm cooking at home, staying out of restaurants and driving as little as possible. Also I'm just aware that going to Costco doesn't have to be a fun excursion to see what I don't already have. I'm appreciating things more, actually.

I'm actually thinking of going back to the string and tin cans for phone service. I just need to find a way to get it to work with my cpu.

Ruck, if you can make that work, you'll be a millionaire overnight and won't care about expenses! :24:

I've already bundled my tv, cable and phones. Good idea. Right now I'm cooking at home, staying out of restaurants and driving as little as possible. Also I'm just aware that going to Costco doesn't have to be a fun excursion to see what I don't already have. I'm appreciating things more, actually.

Yeah, staying out of restaurants is something I've always done...unless the company is paying, which they do often. Mostly because restaurant food is really fattening. :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

Everytime I think about buying something new for the house I have made the decision to first decide whether I really need it....or...if I can make due with what I have and perhaps refinish that old piece of furnature or apply a fresh coat of paint.

Stop and think before spending instead of buying everything I see that catches my eye.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Everytime I think about buying something new for the house I have made the decision to first decide whether I really need it....or...if I can make due with what I have and perhaps refinish that old piece of furnature or apply a fresh coat of paint.

Stop and think before spending instead of buying everything I see that catches my eye.

When I feel an urge to re-decorate, I just re-use what we already have, and move it around. You'd be surprised what kind of nice stuff the salvation Army has. :huh: I have gotten some very pretty things for extremely cheap off E-bay. Candlesticks, teacups and such.

I just finished painting our living dining area blue. :) Paint isn't free, but it is alot of bang for the buck. It sure was hard to find the time to get it done. :rolleyes: I just tackled it little by little till it was finally done. :emot-heartbeat:

Also, I found a sofa in someone's garbage. The frame is in good shape. The fabric is worn with holes. We will get a slipcover for it, and presto! A new sofa! :) We will put it in the playroom.

When I feel an urge to re-decorate, I just re-use what we already have, and move it around. You'd be surprised what kind of nice stuff the salvation Army has. :huh: I have gotten some very pretty things for extremely cheap off E-bay. Candlesticks, teacups and such.

I just finished painting our living dining area blue. :) Paint isn't free, but it is alot of bang for the buck. It sure was hard to find the time to get it done. :rolleyes: I just tackled it little by little till it was finally done. :emot-heartbeat:

Also, I found a sofa in someone's garbage. The frame is in good shape. The fabric is worn with holes. We will get a slipcover for it, and presto! A new sofa! :) We will put it in the playroom.

I did the slipcover makeover on my last sofa too. It was about $90.00 for a whole new look. Another big saver; go to the best furniture stores and buy 'mix and match' instead of a set. They often have sofas and chairs that have arrived solo; i.e. the matching pieces are missing or damaged. They mark them way down because people want sets. I saved 40% by buying my pieces this way but....I got the high dollar stuff I wanted. And you're right, Emily Anne, paint is one of the best (and cheapest) ways to redecorate. You can buy that at a discount (but still get premium paint, the cheap stuff isn't worth buying); just ask them to see their 'orphans'. That is paint that has been custom mixed and then rejected for one reason or the other. They usually discount it 50%. :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  700
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  12/11/1977

We are stocking up on food now while we can, I get my kids clothes at Ross or TJ maxx, save a bunch there, we buy all our household goods and toilettries online and have them delivered, saves about 45% (they are in bulk btw) We just basicaly are stocking up on everything and preparing for the worst.

It helps to make a double payment or even triple payment on any debts we have, mortgage, vehicle, credit, now while we can afford it.

We are stocking up on food now while we can, I get my kids clothes at Ross or TJ maxx, save a bunch there, we buy all our household goods and toilettries online and have them delivered, saves about 45% (they are in bulk btw) We just basicaly are stocking up on everything and preparing for the worst.

It helps to make a double payment or even triple payment on any debts we have, mortgage, vehicle, credit, now while we can afford it.

I am stocking up too; I hit the sales (4 for a dollar or better). Paying bills off is an EXCELLENT money saver because the interest is yours to save or invest once they are gone. Good tip, PB! :laugh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  220
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/28/1966

Shopping the grocery stores for quick sale reduced items.

Gotta be there early, or you'll miss the bargains.

Mending socks, shirts, sheets, pants, and any item I can fix.

Driving slower. It decreases fuel usage to not start out quick.

Eating at home and learning to love it.

Using a crock pot!

Watching a lot of dvds I've already got instead of going to the movies.

Driving less, walking more.

NO more sodas!

Hanging up the occasional laundry item to dry.

Growing things in my little gardens, so far my tomato plants look great.

Fixing whatever I can fix... hey, I can change out faucet washers myself now!

Grinning and bearing it. :laugh:

It could be worse.