The New Economy

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Instead of high priced stain removers I use regular dish soap to remove grease spots from clothing. I put some directly on the spot, rub it in then wash (dish soap is formulated for the purpose of cutting grease!) It takes the grease out and won't lift the color. This works great and costs pretty much nothing. :emot-hug:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/08/1964

Thanks all for these useful tips. I'm a single mom with 2 teens and an 11-year old and definitely need to save! :21:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/10/1971

I think this is an awesome thread and I'd like to thank all who have listed their tips here. One thing about saving money in other areas of our lives is that we have more to give to our churches. One thing that I do to save money is to watch the papers for free clothing givaways at churches and sometimes schools. These have been great money savers for us, especially when there are no extra dollars to buy necessities like a winter coat and such. Hope this helps!

Thanks all for these useful tips. I'm a single mom with 2 teens and an 11-year old and definitely need to save! :laugh:

You're right where I was a few years ago and I remember how rough it was, even with child support. Learning to live on a budget was a good thing and it has stayed with me. The key is to live well but don't spend a lot of money. :24:

I think this is an awesome thread and I'd like to thank all who have listed their tips here. One thing about saving money in other areas of our lives is that we have more to give to our churches. One thing that I do to save money is to watch the papers for free clothing givaways at churches and sometimes schools. These have been great money savers for us, especially when there are no extra dollars to buy necessities like a winter coat and such. Hope this helps!

Another way to stretch those grocery dollars, you know when they have the "10 for $10.00" type of sales, is to shop with a friend. I personally don't want ten rolls of sausage or ten cans of soup or whatever but....take a friend with you; you each buy ten of this and ten of that, take it home and divide it up and you both save money. When you combine this type of shopping with coupons, some people say they save twenty to thirty dollars every time they shop. :laugh:

As for edible cacti, the prickly pear and a green version of it are quite edible, tasty and great for you

True! Someone was telling me about that not too long ago. Seems it's quite a delicacy in....Mexico? South America? I forget. But it's expensive if you buy it in a store. They sell it at my local WalMart, from what I've been told. I need to check it out when I go in there next. Do you eat it yourself, intifallout? :)

Guest LadyC

Another way to stretch those grocery dollars, you know when they have the "10 for $10.00" type of sales, is to shop with a friend. I personally don't want ten rolls of sausage or ten cans of soup or whatever but....take a friend with you; you each buy ten of this and ten of that, take it home and divide it up and you both save money. When you combine this type of shopping with coupons, some people say they save twenty to thirty dollars every time they shop. :)

another thing, check with the store that offers the 10/10 sales to see if you can mix or match. all the stores that do those kind of sales here locally allow mix/match. so you don't have to buy 10 of any particular item....

Another way to stretch those grocery dollars, you know when they have the "10 for $10.00" type of sales, is to shop with a friend. I personally don't want ten rolls of sausage or ten cans of soup or whatever but....take a friend with you; you each buy ten of this and ten of that, take it home and divide it up and you both save money. When you combine this type of shopping with coupons, some people say they save twenty to thirty dollars every time they shop. :blink:

another thing, check with the store that offers the 10/10 sales to see if you can mix or match. all the stores that do those kind of sales here locally allow mix/match. so you don't have to buy 10 of any particular item....

Good tip, Lady C! I didn't know you could do that; this opens up many more possibilities for combining my family's, friends', and my own grocery shopping because my local stores do these sales constantly. I just get giddy at the possibilities...... :)

Guest LadyC

just bear in mind that the 10/10 sales aren't always a bargain! like if tuna, spam or vienna sausages is on that list, you can usually pick up those things 2/$1 at the dollar stores... sometimes 3/$1. and other items, like the generic hamburger helper or 2 liter bottles of soda, those can sometimes be found at another store for less than a buck.

do you shop albertsons? i know albertsons lets you mix and match!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

Another thing I've cut back on is scenic driving trips. I used to gas up about once a week and just go for a long drive and enjoy the view.

Those trips are less often, and, I am turnng my back yard into a quiet place to relax instead.