• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/03/1995

Most of you probably know I do guest sermons at my church. Well, I'll be doing one on prayer, and to get some outside opinion...

what are the things most commonly prayed about, and for?

what are the things that most commonly and heavily prevent us from having God hear our prayers truly, and answer them/

Thanks,

Bro. Zach

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

I think guidance, salvation of family and friends, health issues and money are prayed about quite often. We should be in prayer about everything.

I believe the God hears all prayers, but we need patience to receive answers in His time, not ours. We also need to be prepared to get "no" for an answer.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Hmmm ... maybe you can check out the prayer requests forum and ask one of Worthy's prayer partners? I am sure you will get more information this way then waiting for us to answer.

As for me, I hear requests for healing more then anything else. Then I would say guidance / clear direction. Then, material needs.

What hinders answers? As Trusting Jesus mentioned, if anyone attaches a time line to their prayers, the prayers may not be answered, even though they are heard. God works in Him timing, not ours. I would have to add that those who pray out of God's will, as praying for what God does not want us to have, will bring a different "no". Prayer can never be a "name it and claim it" type of prayer, but one seeking His will in the life of the one being prayed for.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

JESUS always hears and always answers. Sometimes the answer is NO, YES, or LATER.

HE also has a better perspective and a completely different direction or answer then the one wanted or expected.

Edited by kross

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Prayer is two-way conversation with the Father. silence before Him, rather than incessant eloquence will bring one into His presence in a highly intimate way.

I often use the ACTS guideline, based on the Lord's Prayer:

A...Adoration. Worship and praise the Lord for just who He is!

C...Confession. Confess and repent of sin to stand righteous and clean before Him.

T...Thanksgiving. Thank God for who He is, what He's done, what He promises, and what He is about to do...etc!

S...Supplication. Bring requests before the Lord..for others, for you.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Hello Zach.

You could probably break down the things most commonly prayed for in several ways for example:-

1. Adults might major on praying for their family, their church, and friends; help to overcome weaknesses and sins, giftings of the Holy Ghost, freedom to share the gospel, the lost, and the government etc. This could be sub-divided between men and women as well.

2. Children for help with their exams, and problems at school, aches and pains, no bad dreams, and to make friends...

It would probably be sobering to make the comparison with what we in the West spend time praying about, and what those in the third world and under severe persecution pray about, but one thing all of us have in common is the desire to know the reality of the love of G-d continually.

As for what hinders our prayers.... certainly sin and lack of faith and expectancy are right up there, and I would say that many believers at some point often have a lop-sided understanding of the nature and character of G-d and therefore are unable to see the true heart of love that the Father has for every individual. Also we have an adversary who wants to deflect us from learning to persevere with G-d and the world we are in now has numerous temporal distractions that seem to offer more fun or purpose than developing a prayer-life.

i think that most often, people tend to pray for their own will.... even if we don't realize it (which we usually don't!) that's also the answer to your second question, as to what kinds of things are prayed for that prevent God from answering. if we were praying for His will, 100% of the time, then 100% of our prayers would be answered.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

Remember the Pharasies had the Lord standing in front of them talking to them and they still didn't hear Him.

When we feel we are well above the Pharasies, we have adopted their rotten attitude. I wonder how many times the Lord has spoken to me, and I didn't get it.

Religious attitudes can hinder our relationship with God. God answers prayer because of His love and grace, not because we are so good!

Frankly, God doesn't move in our lives or churches because we don't expect Him to. I wonder how many even expect God to answer their prayer.

• Content Count:  274
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  07/03/1995

I find that what you have stated has echoes what I believe to be true.

Once again, trust the Worthy crew to be there for some backup on a message you'd been planning for three months!

Also...hey Botz, how's it been?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Most of you probably know I do guest sermons at my church. Well, I'll be doing one on prayer, and to get some outside opinion...

what are the things most commonly prayed about, and for?

what are the things that most commonly and heavily prevent us from having God hear our prayers truly, and answer them/

Thanks,

Bro. Zach

Peace Brother Zach,

I would think a viable topic would have to be that we commonly pray for a more Godly trend of guidance in our country and world. And what prevents us is the fact that so many only pray and feel the know and need God when times are bad and hard and only affect them as individuals. I give genuine thanks and praise throughout the day of each day. While I was attempting to re-stand about 20 feet of my woooden fence, which had fell flat at one point in my back yard, stemming from Hurricane Gustov, as I live near New Orleans, La, I was involved in a situation where I was actually pushing on several hundred pounds of wood to stand it back up. I saw immediately that being a elder of 56 years old and not having that great strenght that I once had, I was in trouble as I was slipping constantly while trying to raise the entire weight of the fence on my back. I simply lifted my eyes to Heaven for a brief moment and asked God to help me through this demise, and soon enough I was able to grab a piece of lumber to enable me to support the weight of the fence and pull myself out of harms way. I don't normally do these type of things without the aid of other resources/equipment, but we're all being overly tasked down here and everyone is pretty much on their own for a bit. And I did have to secure my back yard and Lab. dog, because it's no secret that we're the most vunerable around this time for crime and the like. Needless to say, I gave great thanks and praise and all I have is a few bumps and bruises and sore toes and such. But you'll never convince me that just like this situation as I've seen so many others in my life, that God has not been there for me time and time again.

I've shared my testimony several times in the past here, and I'm not ashamed to tell again that I know I'm one of those many miracles from God because had he not interceded in my early life, I know I would be cruising the slums of the New Orleans streets or somewhere in some lowly gutter off the streets of Burbon st. or dead. There is no doubt in my mind today with all the peace, success, happiness the love of a wonderful woman, and beautiful and successful children, that God has not intervened in my life to use me as a witness that you can change your life around 180 degrees if you know that you're headed for disaster and you allow God to work in your life.

In God's love

Cajunboy