• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/03/1949

Did you know that Eve made only ONE mistake in taking the forbidden fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil..??

Compare these two verses from Genesis:

"And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is PLEASANT TO THE SIGHT, and GOOD FOR FOOD;...." (Gen. 2:9)

"And when the woman saw that the tree was GOOD FOR FOOD, and that it was PLEASANT TO THE EYES, and a tree to be desired to make one WISE, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. (Gen. 3:6)

There is a kind of "wisdom" that apparently is bad for man. Paul called it "the wisdom of this world" (I Cor. 3:19) Contrast this verse with James 3:17, which describes "the wisdom that is from above".

There are many things in the world today that would purport to make men wise. But the Word of God STILL says what it always has about true wisdom. See Job 28:28; Prov. 9:10; Dan. 2:21. The ONLY real wisdom is in God's Book. Ain't another book like it--never has been, never will be.

Be blessed. :emot-hug:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Did you know that Eve made only ONE mistake in taking the forbidden fruit from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil..??

"And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is PLEASANT TO THE SIGHT, and GOOD FOR FOOD;...." (Gen. 2:9)

"And when the woman saw that the tree was GOOD FOR FOOD, and that it was PLEASANT TO THE EYES, and a tree to be desired to make one WISE, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. (Gen. 3:6)

There is a kind of "wisdom" that apparently is bad for man. Paul called it "the wisdom of this world" (I Cor. 3:19) Contrast this verse with James 3:17, which describes "the wisdom that is from above".

There are many things in the world today that would purport to make men wise. But the Word of God STILL says what it always has about true wisdom. See Job 28:28; Prov. 9:10; Dan. 2:21. The ONLY real wisdom is in God's Book. Ain't another book like it--never has been, never will be.

Eve made two mistakes. One, she believed the devil and not God. And two, she told the first lie.

God created Adam and Eve free moral agents. As such God tested them to see if they would remain true to Him before allowing them access to the tree of life. God commanded Adam and Eve not to eat of one particular tree or they would die. This tree was in the midst or center of the garden, (Gen. 3:3).

"And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die" (Gen. 2:16-17).

Now the devil through the serpent accused God of lying by saying if they ate of the tree they would not surely die but become like God's, something God never said at all.

"And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. (Gen. 3:4-5).

Eve believed the devil and not God. Not only did Eve believe the devil rather than God, she told the first lie. She said;

"And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die" (Gen. 3:2-3).

God never said they would die if they touched the tree, God said they would die only if they ate of that particular tree. because they dissobeyed God he then shut off access to the tree of life lest they ate of it as well whilst they were in sin.

"So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life" (Gen. 3:24).

Haz.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

You've made an interesting observation of the same phrase 'good for food' being used in Gen 2:9 and 3:6 and then noting the difference in what was pleasent to sight in Gen 2:9 vs. pleasane to Eve's eyes (through her deceived eyes), Gen 3:6.

When I studied word for word everything that the serpent said and compared it to what God said it was amazing what I found that the serpent was doing to the command that God gave to the alone Adam before the woman was created. Eve believed through her eyes that the fruit could make one (whoever, anyone) wise and she believed this through a state of deception, or her deceived eyes.

I would not consider how she saw the fruit to make one wise as 'of this world' though because she believed the serpent's lies which was that both her and her husband's eyes would be opened and that they could become like God knowing good and evil (which implicated that God 'knows' in Hebrew meaning, by experience good and evil which he does NOT) which translated in her mind into 'make one wise'. The wisdom she was deceived into believing was not of the world that she lived in but of the devil because in her world that she lived in there was NOT sin and it was not fallen before she ate. The devil was lieing about God because he does NOT experience evil. Eve was deceived by the lies of the devil.

A question I have for you is, how could the TOKOGAE have been good for food?

Eve made two mistakes. One, she believed the devil and not God. And two, she told the first lie.

"And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. (Gen. 3:4-5).

The woman's testimony of God's command to both her and her husband without a doubt cannot be shown or proven to have been a false one according to all the accumulative evidence of the scriptures from the OT to the NT. It is not right without any evidence to accuse Eve of being a liar on par with the devil. There was only 1 liar at the fall, the serpent. There is no reason to not accept the 1 recorded testimony (Eve's) of God's command. That Eve 'told the first lie' is not a biblical conclusion.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

GOD told Adam not to eat of the tree. We do not know if it was GOD or Adam that told Eve. In reading GOD's judgements of the issue, HE doesn't curse the ground or consign death as a result of Eve eating the fruit. HE lays that at the feet of Adam, only.

Did Eve sin? She seemed to know that the fruit was not to be eaten and that commandment came from GOD, so, yes she did. On the other hand, the commandment was for Adam not to eat the fruit, so Eve may only have disobeyed her husband in eating the fruit. It is possible that Adam told Eve not to touch the tree in an effort to keep her away from it. She may have understood this to be from GOD when it was just part of a warning from Adam.

But her real failure was that she became the temptress after being decieved. Still, had Adam stood his ground, than we wouldn't be in this mess.

GOD told Adam not to eat of the tree. We do not know if it was GOD or Adam that told Eve. In reading GOD's judgements of the issue, HE doesn't curse the ground or consign death as a result of Eve eating the fruit. HE lays that at the feet of Adam, only.

I agree that God told Adam not to eat of the tree as we can read that in Gen 2. What we do know about Eve is that she said, 'God said', not 'Adam said, God said', and also that what she said God said about them is different from what we have recorded of what God said to Adam when he was alone. So we have a singular command (Gen 2) and a plural one (Gen 3) which do not contradict eachother. I also agree that nothing was cursed becasue of what the woman did, after all she did what she did out of being deceived and not a willful eyes open, like Adam. And because Adam while not deceived ate, the ground is cursed for what he did.

Did Eve sin? She seemed to know that the fruit was not to be eaten and that commandment came from GOD, so, yes she did. On the other hand, the commandment was for Adam not to eat the fruit, so Eve may only have disobeyed her husband in eating the fruit.

Since the command was God's and NOT Adam's there is no way that Eve could have been disobidient to her husband since he was not the law giver, but God was. In order for her to have been disobidient to Adam she would of had to break Adam's law.

But her real failure was that she became the temptress after being decieved. Still, had Adam stood his ground, than we wouldn't be in this mess.

A deceived person who merely gave fruit is hardly a temptress. She did not know when she ate and when she gave to her husband that she was deceived. Though she knew after those two facts that she had been deceived, which is more testimony from her. She testified about God's command and then later about the serpent's nature.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

(snip)

Eve believed the devil and not God. Not only did Eve believe the devil rather than God, she told the first lie. She said;

"And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die" (Gen. 3:2-3).

God never said they would die if they touched the tree, God said they would die only if they ate of that particular tree. because they dissobeyed God he then shut off access to the tree of life lest they ate of it as well whilst they were in sin.

Was it the first lie? Or did she truly misunderstand? Ive heard some say that Adam was at fault for not giving her accurate instruction about Gods command. That Adam had heard from God what they were not supposed to do and Adam may have miscommunicated that to Eve.

Regardless, it cant be proven that she lied or just didnt understand. We know she was deceived. God held them both accountable.

1 Timothy 2

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Guest R.Barlow

Be blessed. :rolleyes:

If you study the text carefully, you'll notice that God never told Eve not to eat only Adam. Adam must have told her. But seeing that Eve had eaten of the Tree, Adam had to make a decision, and I am certain that I would have made the same decision. He had to chose to either die with Eve, or live without her. How much do you loe your wife?

The ONLY real wisdom is in God's Book. Ain't another book like it--never has been, never will be.

:rolleyes:

Amen! It's All About Jesus!

But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 1 Corinthians 1:30

:)

Thy words were found, and I did eat them;

and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

:emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  122
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/03/1949

Very interesting observations from all of you--THANK YOU ALL. :rolleyes:

Perhaps, not being used to "splitting hairs" in some things, I was negligent to mention the "mistake" I referred to in her choice of partaking of the fruit of the forbidden tree was in her OVER-evaluation of it before partaking. That is, it was good for food and pleasing to the sight, which God had made to grow out of the ground in such a manner. That was the "okay" part of her evaluation. The place where she overdid it was considering it as a tree which bore fruit "to make one wise".

I consider Eve to be part of Adam, as she was bone-of-his-bone and flesh-of-his-flesh; the most honorable extension of Adam's being, in a sense. At least, this is the ideal I believe any married couple would like to have in their lives and strives for. The serpent told the first lie. Eve lied only after she had partaken of the forbidden fruit. :)

I'm also blessed by what "firehill" points out here about how her eyes must have been deceived, and I think it speaks volumes as to how a man is in many ways incomplete without the woman, as the woman is without the man, unless God walks every single step of their single life with them. I've experienced this in my own life, at least, and I doubt I'm the only one. I think, however, there is a wisdom of this world that corresponds well to the false "wisdom" Eve must have seen at the tree. The father of lies is still at work in the world, and the best lies are "mostly" true. It's the origin of many religious cults to put their own peculiar "twist" to the Word of God. And many still go in at the gates of hell (Matt. 16:18) instead of through the Door (John 10:9). You have me at a disadvantage, though, with the use of the word "TOKOGAE"--my Strong's Concordance is not available to me right now (I have an overpopulated house at present which has necessitated stacking much of my library in inconvenient places).

To "eat" of the tree, or to "touch" it, I believe, must have been equally as bad for Adam and Eve. I don't think there's a significant difference in receiving the same commandment in two different ways of saying it or in two parts. JMO. :emot-heartbeat: