IGNORED

Is a Christian responsible for understanding politics?

Guest Reggie C.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Luke 20:19 The scribes and the chief priests sought to lay hands on him at that very hour, for they perceived that he had told this parable against them, but they feared the people.20 So they watched him and sent spies, who pretended to be sincere, that they might catch him in something he said, so as to deliver him up to the authority and jurisdiction of the governor.21 So they asked him, "Teacher, we know that you speak and teach rightly, and show no partiality, but truly teach the way of God.22 Is it lawful for us to give tribute to Caesar, or not?"23 But he perceived their craftiness, and said to them,24 "Show me a denarius. Whose likeness and inscription does it have?" They said, "Caesar's."25 He said to them, "Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."26 And they were not able in the presence of the people to catch him in what he said, but marveling at his answer they became silent.marveled at him.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

One of my friends with exact spiritual and moral beliefs loves the whole world of politics. He has time to read, watch the news, and ect...about all the issues and canidates so in the past I have asked him to go down the whole list and tell me who to vote for based on both his and my belief systems...is this so wrong? He did not tell me, I asked him because he does roll up his sleeves and does all the hard work to look at voting records, beliefs, all parts to the bills being pushed through and ect... so what would be the worse part...not to cast a vote at all or vote exaclty like I would if I understood?

Well, you said you were guilty of having friends tell you exactly how to vote. A vote is a precious thing...you should know what you're voting for instead of relying on someone else's judgement. No one else is EXACTLY like you. I don't understand what is so hard about reading the news and having an opinion. Speaking only for myself....if I had no opinions about political matters, I just wouldn't vote.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I totally agree with MorningGlory on this one. :shout:

Guest Reggie C.

Thanks everyone...I am resolved to start making time and digging a whole lot deeper and make better decisions on my voting choices. We can consider this closed!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Moved from Worthy Welcome to General Discussion

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

We as Believers are Kings and Priests to Christ, the King of Kings, who has all authority in Heaven and Earth. We are responsible as salt and light to affect all things in our society. Nature abhors a vacuum, be that vacuum physical or spiritual. The present state of affairs in America is here because Christians have abdicated their God-ordained rule in society and the godless have taken over. If you want more godlessness, stay home. If you want societal righteousness, then you must be involved in the process to some degree.

This is NOT Satan's world. It is God's world. Satan is No King Here. Politics is a dirty business because Believers have allowed the godless to make it one. And yes, that means that God has called some Believers to actually lead in the political arena. ALL authority in Heaven and Earth was given to Jesus, not just some. ALL.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

an educated vote requires some education

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Most South Africans are praising Bumama like he's the savior of the world. Should I be worried? Should I watch what he does because Jesus said when the nations are in an uproar, we are to lift up our heads because our salvation draws near? As a South African do I have the right to concern myself with American politics? I don't think it's necessary for salvation, just wise to watch and not sleep.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

I do not understand, like or have time for politics. I am guilty of having friends tell me exactly how to vote. My question is this: As a believer in Jesus Christ do I need to make myself get involved with politics. I always have a view on who to vote for President but that is the only election I ever bother with.

NO, as a Christian you are responsible for the spread of the gospel and to do as GOD leads you. Let no-one lay a guilt trip on you if that is what you are doing.

I disagree kross. As a Christian not only are we responsible for the spread of the gospel we are also responsible both to our selves and to God to keep up with what is going on in the world. Of the 14 or so times Jesus tells us "watch therefore" one of those commands is commanding us to watch what is going on around us and in the world as a whole. We need to know who is in office and what are they telling us. We have a responsibility to know and to vote for those who are on the side of the laws of God. We have a responsibility to go out and vote against abortion laws, smut laws, sinful laws and more. We shouldn't be sticking our heads into the sand. We should be standing up for the things of God loud and clear. Jesus didn't hesitate to tell those who were wrong that the were wrong and we are no different because He was/is our example and we should be following after His actions.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Politics is a dirty business, Reggie C. You shouldn't feel compelled to be involved if you don't wish to be. And, please, don't vote for someone because friends tell you to do so. (I can't imagine telling someone else how to vote!) Your vote should go to the candidate that best reflects your ideals and beliefs or, if no one fills the bill, don't vote.

I agree MorningGLORY.