IGNORED

When if ever should you bail someone out of jail?

Ddavid from NC

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Probably just about the craziest question you have ever seen here. Well, maybe not the craziest question. What I am trying to say, this is a serious question and one I face periodically ministering to the group of people God has given me to minister to. When if ever should you bail someon out of jail as an act of ministry? What is the criteria you would use to make that decision?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I think a couple of issues would come to mind.

The first would be Church finances. The money that you would use to bail someone out of jail could be used to help someone with their rent or food, so that must be balanced.

But the second would for me be the crime itself and the potential danger the person posed to other people in the congregation and society at large.

A minor drug charge, drunk driving, small time shoplifting, stupid things like that I think it would be fine to bail them out. Rape charges, domestic violence charges, things where they could go after other people in your congregation if they were let out would be more problematic.

Also what are the chances they are going to flee? Would it be a good use of tight church resources? My bet is you usually get called in on random things that happen to sorry people, drunk driving, low level drug stuff, bar fights, etc. In most of these cases I would not have a problem with you as a pastor bailing them out of jail.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/15/1959

well david that is a good question.First if it is truly your ministry and a person is in jail because of a mistake you have to take in consideration was this just one mistake or is this ongoing mistakes and that person lands themselves in jail all the time and there is no change in that person from the first jail time, then I would say let them sit in there for a while until they make up their minds they will not do anything to get themselves back in there and you can see a change in their behaviour. Without God there will never be a change in that person. This is just my opinion tho

Cecee

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

one general rule of thumb: if it's ME in jail, 100% of the time... :laugh:

lol, ok, i know it's a serious question, sorry. there isn't any hard fast rule you can apply to this question. i have a sister who has been in trouble with the law several times and my father has bailed her out, but he says that he will not do it again. i have an uncle who has been locked up any number of times in his life for child support, drunkeness, etc. someone in the family always bails him out. he's close to 60 yrs old now, i don't know if sitting in jail would have made him grow up or not. no easy answer to the question.

if someone is in jail swearing up and down that they are going to "Straighten somebody out" when they get out, i wouldn't bail them out.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

Yep...never heard THIS question before....

It all depends upon what they are in jail for.... if they've been driving drunk - a night in jail won't kill them ...

If they have a score to settle when they get out...Uh... Leave them there to cool down.

You'll have to ask this question of yourself ... Am I prepared to make this person my "bundle", my burden to share their problems, get them help, etc? If you aren't... Pray for them and save your money for people who really need and deserve it.

I have never bailed anyone out of jail before.... I've been called to do so... but... they needed to stay there and think a little. God Bless!!

:laugh:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

All good answers. You must listen to the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the same way you do when you perform other parts of your ministry.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

have you not watched JUDGE JUDY or Joe Brown? or any of the other TV judges?

seems like there are a bunch of people that want out of jail and they get a friend to bail them out and then they bail on them.......

first off......

'

in most places if you bail out, bond out of jail, you are not eligible for court appointed attorney. they figure if you can afford to bond out, you can afford the attorney..........

some times it might be best if the person stays in until arrainged by the judge.....

my youngest son was picked up for underaged drinking, leaving the scene of an accident, and failure to render aid..... he was at his mothers house with a friend...... his friend was charged with under aged drinking, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, dwi, leaving the scene, failure to render aid and a few others charges......

I was called up by a friend of mine who is also the dispatch...... if they had not got hold of me he would have spent the time in county until his mother bailed him out, his bac was 2.0 at age 16.....

there was no bail, but he had to be under constant supervision for the next 24 hours.... I signed him out, and took him home, the supervision was incase there was a problem with alcohol poisoning, safety for him..... had there been a bail set, I would not have paid it until the arraingment......

as it is, he stood up for what he did, took accountability for his actions and is now next in line for a management position at his place of work when he turns 21 (this coming july)

if you bail some one out, ensure you get at least a paper signed that you are doing this as a LOAN with terms to get paid back....... if they are not working, it might be best to let them live off the tax payers for a while.......

mike

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

For the record, I would never use church funds. I have informed specific church members about a situation and raised the money but never out of the general fund or benevolence fund. I have on a few occassions taken in from perosnal funds. But, I have been faced with this situation 3 or 4 times a year throughout my ministry.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  54
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

For the record, I would never use church funds. I have informed specific church members about a situation and raised the money but never out of the general fund or benevolence fund. I have on a few occassions taken in from perosnal funds. But, I have been faced with this situation 3 or 4 times a year throughout my ministry.

exactly.

i have some friends who just cant seem to walk a straigh path and occasionally need to be bumped back on the road.

that said, i am a big believer in liberty. if a friend is arrested for breaking one of mans laws for exercising a right that was granted to him by his creator, i take issue and will come to his aid.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

Probably just about the craziest question you have ever seen here. Well, maybe not the craziest question. What I am trying to say, this is a serious question and one I face periodically ministering to the group of people God has given me to minister to. When if ever should you bail someon out of jail as an act of ministry? What is the criteria you would use to make that decision?

Their age. Teens who have done their first stupid thing do not need to be left where they can be abused by more hardened criminals.

Others, who are old enough, need to suffer the consequences of their actions.