• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I am wondering where worthy stands on how a Christian should give financially.

I have heard 3 major opinions:

1) The tithe was an old testament thing specific to it's time, you are not required to give anything.

2) You are commanded to give 10%.

3) The tithe was an old testament thing specific to it's time, you are required to give as much as you can afford.

Obviously there are other opinions, so if one of my 3 does not fit you, let me know what you think! I am also curious about the question of how one balances a budget with giving. Are we to make sure we have enough to avoid needing to go into debt (or making are debt worse) and then giving after that? Or should we give and trust that the money will somehow be there. Specifically, should I keep enough money to pay my tuition to the side, and then give after that? Or should I give more than I can afford and hope for the best?

Lastly, how does borrowing/lending play into all this? Should we borrow money, as Christians.

Looking forward to your thoughts,

-Keilan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC

i tend to lean toward one, but i rarely admit that because of the condemnation from people who believe 2. i also have a hard time with the way tithe envelopes are made out.... the tithe is separate from the benevolence fund, etc., and i do not believe that is biblical.

now, although i do believe 1 is more accurate biblically, i also believe that God blesses a person who willigly tithes according to their ability than a stingy person who gives far less than he is able.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

I go by malachi 3: 8+9, Prov 3: 9+10 because it speaks to me personally, and because of the many times i have not tithed and seen the loss of the same amount that same week.

But i do not insist others do so, if they want to miss out on testing the Lord on it, and seeing Him at work thats up to them.

Of course if its not done cheerfully and in faith, well i think they will reap what they sow ---NOTHING, its dead in the ground being diseased.

Guest HIS girl

With my finances, I take the tithe out FIRST. 10% up front. I am a single Mother and God has made sure my boys are fed each and every day. God has proven above and beyond that He will provide my (and boys) every need. :thumbsup:

I do not view the money I have as mine. I view it as God's and that I am a steward of it only.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/23/1965

Keilan thanks for this thread don't know where I stand on this issue myself, but I'm sure going to enjoy this sight. You have some good answer so far.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Someone pointed out an interesting thought . . . and I'm not sure what the counter to it would be.

When the Lord commanded the tithe, it was to be 10% of the fruit of your labor, not 10% of your income.

Responses?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Response? Sure ...

I give as He leads me to give, with whatever He asks. I give my time, money, and belongings. If I were to add it all up, it would be worth more then 10% of my income. Which is more important, to be in His will or to obey the 10% rule?

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

We have always made sure we gave God what was His. We also feel led to give more by giving our service to programs that help the 'least of His'. These are hard times for so many people and church donations across the country are down - I have depended on God most of my life to provide for me and He has always given me enough - the least I can do is give Him what He asks... God Bless.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

i tend to lean toward one, but i rarely admit that because of the condemnation from people who believe 2. i also have a hard time with the way tithe envelopes are made out.... the tithe is separate from the benevolence fund, etc., and i do not believe that is biblical.

now, although i do believe 1 is more accurate biblically, i also believe that God blesses a person who willigly tithes according to their ability than a stingy person who gives far less than he is able.

I believe in Tithing,

however, I also believe in stewardship...... I do not believe we are to just blindly throw our 10% towards the offering plate with out a care to what it is used for.....

for instance, I would rather see the money used to bury some one that is not insured from an accidental death (or untimely) or for one that just can not afford the insurance or burial fees..... I would rather see it go towards some one that can not afford to take care of some needed maintenance on their house and can not afford the material and labor rather then see SRS or DHS or some other governmental agency do it....... I would rather see it go towards a widows utilities during a very cold winter, then to start a building project that really is not needed, instead of having only one service once a week for an hour and half (or two hours) why not have two services a week about two hours each..... and have split sunday school...

Grace Presbyterian Church in Wichita Ks, has two service and two sunday school sessions...... there is a more traditional service that starts at 8 am.... there is also a sunday school session that starts at 8 am.... then after sunday school and 1st service, there is a fellowship time for dounuts and coffee... .then the second service is more contemporary and also a sunday school session then..... utilizing the same space for two sessions..... they are limited on parking and realestate because of being in a populated area.......

other churches are doing the same thing..... we have our youth meet on Friday instead of Wednesday because of space, rather then build on and cost more in utilities we are utilizing the current space more.....

if everyone would tithe, there would be no need for fund raisers and SRS and DHS and other social services would not be needed for the kids, widows or poor...... nor would the missionaries be in want of monies....

mike

Guest LadyC

very well said, mike! and one light, :24: to you as well! that sums up pretty much my philosophy!

i don't have my own income.... i'm a happy housewife. my husband isn't too keen on setting aside 10% of his income, and it's not my place to dictate to him how much goes in that little white envelope each week. but i can take more than 10% each week to feed the homeless, or to help pay someone's utility bill, or to help others in whatever way i felt led, and he is perfectly fine with that. he also has no problem with me using my time to help out in various ministries.

there are days though when mark asks me "how much have you put in the tithes lately? and if he doesn't think my answer was sufficient, he will drop a couple of hundred into the tithe basket, and i always know that it's because God led him to do that, not ME.