• Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Chocolate eggs under growing threat from witches' broom

* 08 April 2009 by Debora MacKenzie

* Magazine issue 2703.

...chocolate trees are in increasing trouble.

Chocolate is made from the fermented, roasted seeds of the cacao tree. The cacao swollen shoot virus (CSSV) can kill the trees, and threatens to slash this year's spring crop by a third in the world's biggest producer, Ivory Coast. Meanwhile a fungus called witches' broom is doing the same in Brazil. Now researchers are racing to sequence the cacao genome and find genes that can resist CSSV.

Cacao trees are native to the Amazon rainforest, but west Africa produces 70 per cent of the world's cocoa, virtually all on tiny, impoverished farms. In recent years, demand for chocolate has mushroomed. The farmers cannot afford expensive fertiliser so they boost production by planting more cacao trees over a greater area. That means cutting down other trees that normally grow between cacao crops, which also replicate their rainforest origins and give them the protective shade they prefer.

Read more here

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

:(:):emot-hug::laugh: Ok... I've put up with Obama.... the recession... job loss..... hiring freezes.... no raises.... but I will not do without chocolate.... we must, I repeat must ... do everything we can to fix this - QUICK!!! It ain't pretty when I don't have chocolate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

NOOOO!!!!!!! Not my chocolate!!!!

• Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

:(:):emot-hug: They can't do this....not chocolate! It's not a choice -- it's a necessity!

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Ok.... everyone - just calm down.... easy..... just take deep breathes.... this is serious. I say we get in our cars and meet in Hershey, PA NOW.......... I'm leaving in a few.... just stay calm..... We will take the chocolate... I know most of you are armed and I'm dangerous...so we'll deal with a plan when we get there.... breathe...breathe.... :(:):emot-hug:

I'm with ya. I am. Uh...how do I get to Hershey, PA? I have no sense of direction, and it's worse without chocolate. Now, I heard that they moved the factory to Mexico. Did they? Is that true??? Oh, I think I'm breaking under this pressure.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Ok.... everyone - just calm down.... easy..... just take deep breathes.... this is serious. I say we get in our cars and meet in Hershey, PA NOW.......... I'm leaving in a few.... just stay calm..... We will take the chocolate... I know most of you are armed and I'm dangerous...so we'll deal with a plan when we get there.... breathe...breathe.... :):emot-hug::laugh:

Don't leave without ME.....I'm a chocoholic! I NEED it! :(

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  333
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Nathele, Mexico??? OK, revised plan . . . Believer, you and the others make your way to Hershey. Nath and I will head in the general direction of Mex . . . . . I think it's south. (A warmer climate is better for me.) But wait, do you still think it will melt in our mouths and not in our hands what with it being closer to the equator.

Nathele, Mexico??? OK, revised plan . . . Believer, you and the others make your way to Hershey. Nath and I will head in the general direction of Mex . . . . . I think it's south. (A warmer climate is better for me.) But wait, do you still think it will melt in our mouths and not in our hands what with it being closer to the equator.

You see, that's where they get you. They say the "Milk chocolate melts in your mouth, not in your hands", but as we all know M & M's have that candy coating that melts all over your hands if you hold them long enough. Fortunately, I never hold them long enough.

Now, like I said, I have no sense of direction. So, if we are heading South to Mexico I will neeed to wait until Fall so that I can follow the migrating birds.

I am sure we can work this all out, though.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  437
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/20/1979

Chocolate eggs under growing threat from witches' broom

* 08 April 2009 by Debora MacKenzie

* Magazine issue 2703.

...chocolate trees are in increasing trouble.

Chocolate is made from the fermented, roasted seeds of the cacao tree. The cacao swollen shoot virus (CSSV) can kill the trees, and threatens to slash this year's spring crop by a third in the world's biggest producer, Ivory Coast. Meanwhile a fungus called witches' broom is doing the same in Brazil. Now researchers are racing to sequence the cacao genome and find genes that can resist CSSV.

Cacao trees are native to the Amazon rainforest, but west Africa produces 70 per cent of the world's cocoa, virtually all on tiny, impoverished farms. In recent years, demand for chocolate has mushroomed. The farmers cannot afford expensive fertiliser so they boost production by planting more cacao trees over a greater area. That means cutting down other trees that normally grow between cacao crops, which also replicate their rainforest origins and give them the protective shade they prefer.

Read more here

:):thumbsup::):)

I can't live without chocolates. We need to fix this.

I have to have chocolates everyday. YOu don't know what happens if i don't have one a day.

I'll start fasting & pray (I am very serious), for someone to come up with a plan. DADDY will help, I know HE will

lv

lomi