ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

SALT LAKE CITY - Tourists who want to put a hand or foot in each of four states at the Four Corners area are apparently off the mark - by about 2.5 miles.

According to readings by the National Geodetic Survey, the Four Corners marker showing the intersection of Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah is about 2.5 miles west of where it should be.

Link to the full article

Ooopsy. Living in Arizona we of course did the tourist thing once and got pics of us at the monument. Guess we will need to do it at the real site now lol.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Technicalities..... people get so picky, don't they?? What's a couple of miles? :emot-questioned::blink:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Say it isn't so! :blink:

I had my picture taken there as well . . . lying down. I titled it: "Lying in four states."

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

The Navajos set up booths around it, selling jewelry etc. I just love hitting those booths. One of them had a big homemade sign "get you photo with a real Indian." We took a photo of that sign with my husband in front of it and told folks as a joke that it was his new job lol. Good times there lol.

I doubt anyone will move it, but if they do, come on back out Neb and get some photos taken. I can probably get a relative to take you into canyon de chelly too, a private tour.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

No wonder I never went there ... maybe, if they get it right, I'll go ... :24:

No pun intended toward nebs picture ... :laugh:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I doubt anyone will move it, but if they do, come on back out Neb and get some photos taken. I can probably get a relative to take you into canyon de chelly too, a private tour.

Sounds like fun!

We actually toured through there on the trip, too. It was crazy windy that day - *warning, touron comment ahead* - we actually got to experience a real sandstorm!!!!

(**Cough! Cough! OK, nostalgia is over. Once is enough!**)

Anyway, the wind was still blowing like crazy at the visitor's center area. When we walked outside, we got hit with a huge gust of wind - blowing our hair and clothes out all over and stuff. One of the guys in the group (keep in mind this was the early '90's, so you might have to dig in your memory for this), but one of the guys in the group blurted out, with appropriate gestures to match, "You know, when I bite into a York Peppermint Patty....!" :laugh:

Anyway, I remember how once we got inside the canyon for real, all the wind ceased. That made the tour doubly nice.

But I remember Duck Rock and the White House and symbols that looked like swatztikas. :24: I never knew before that the Nazi's had taken the symbol from ancient religion.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

Man...global warming is messing everything up.... :24:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  692
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/02/1946

That is funny. It reminds me of something my dad did once. He got a map at NASA of the area where he lives, because they had just recently done the maps from newer satellite imagery. He got home, looked at the map and called NASA to speak to the person in charge of that department and told them the map was wrong. He told them one road was a mile off from where it should be. They assured him it was not, to which he replied, "I have been the Parish engineer for years, lived here for over 30 years and I KNOW where the road is. You don't. It's wrong on the map." I got a kick out of, cause my dad was the only person I know that would call NASA and tell them their maps are wrong. Turns out my dad was right and they were wrong!

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Glorywatch ypur dad sounds like mine but could not use Nasa pictures because the pictures were not 'certified' copies.