stacey c

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Pentecostals tends to be more "holiness" oriented, meaning long sleeves, long (uncut) hair, no alcohol, dresses only for women . .

I go to a Pentecostal Assemblies of God church in Canada and its not at all like this.

I also go to an AoG church and I wear t-shits, bluejeans, sneakers and have long hair. Some people there enjoy a beer during a good ball game, or an outing, but they don't get drunk. I do not drink, but I will not condemn or judge another if they do.

There is, however, a sect of the Pentecostal church that is holiness centered, but it is not the AoG that I know of.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah, I grew up in one of two or three 'Pentecostal holiness" churches in Canada and it wasn't a good experience in many ways. While the dogma was legalistic, the preacher was definitey inspired by God and he himself didn't preach this way. The second preacher was a screamer who preached on hell and how awful everyone was. I remember a speaker talking to the youth who started yelling at a girl who was wearing nail polish. The church people that were there are now nondenominational.

Hopefully that sect has died out.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Pentecostals tends to be more "holiness" oriented, meaning long sleeves, long (uncut) hair, no alcohol, dresses only for women . .

I go to a Pentecostal Assemblies of God church in Canada and its not at all like this.

So do I (Evangel Assembly in Edmonton; where are you?).

Assemblies of God, PAOC, etc. are classical Pentecostals, the largest groups out of many. One should not stereotype based on the fringe groups or TV personalities that do not represent the majority nor are condoned by them.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

God is pro-holiness and anti-legalism/license. Loving obedience flows from a heart of faith.

I Peter 1:13-16; Rom. 6:13-16; Rom. 12:1-2; 2 Cor. 7:1, etc.

We need to discern between a fleshly sect and biblical sanctification (vs throw baby out with bathwater).

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

intresting australia and america have the same problem by reading the last post in this topic we also have main line churches that dont belong to the assemblys of god or christian out reach center as these are the two well know movements in australia pastor brian hustan is well respected in australia

what i noticed by the groups i have seen establish them selves in our country towns and in our citys in australia is this

there are pastors who have been raised who do not have a degree or have gone to bible collage

women are told to cover their heads women are told they are to were long sleeve shirts or jumpers covering there necks and if they are to wear a dress it has to be a long dress that goes down to the feet women and young girls cant have make up on them or have their nails polished they are not even allowed to have perfume on them as this can cause a man to lust this is what the pastors to the potters house preach

one church i was looking at was very cotroling the pastors though had problems with in their own marraige

i have been to a church also that had a pastor who would yell at you and when he was real close to you when he was yelling he was spitting at you his spit would hit you in the eye

i am in a good church life city church it mission statement is the same as aog misson statement they work hand in hand life city church and aog

my pastors are very young so is the church its self it has young familys and uni students ther are sevral older folk attending like my self i am 41 the music is fast up beat and diffrent to what you would be use to they have bible study groups and they go out a lot like ice scating going to the movies or going to the local night clubs very social church its set in the city of canbera

no strict rules the women are not told what to wear on sunday morning i know sevral guys who drink and i dont judge them when its the state of origon we get together and hang out we bring a shared meal chips and drinks alcahol and soft drinks for those who dont drink alcahol

no one judges you or condems you

they realy put what they preach into action and the members and pastors make you feel welcome we even have lunch together we al bring a cooked meal to church for the sunday lunch or we go to mac donalds or pizza hut or hungry jacks this is just the way this church is and i love it i love the freedom in this church and you can feel gods spirit flowing threw the worship service and threw the preaching

what puzzles me is how these main line churches that dont belong to either two groups i mentioned draw the numbers to were their members obey their pastor and dont question the doctrine they have accepted

potters house runs from homes not churches the leaders rent out a 4 bedroom home or 3 bed room home and use the homes they rent for ther sunday morning services

it took me a long time to heal to were i can trust i was in a legalistic church i was groomed to the point were i had became like the pastor and the men i forgot were i had come from to the point were i would snob the very ones i use to hang out with when i was living on the streets

i realy took to the pastor and the men in the church i found my self in i never realy questioned what was taught to me i regret alowing my self to were i had given full control to my pastor over me he told me what to say what to wear what jobs to go for and who i was to have as my friends

i am more alert know

there are very good assemblys off god churches i have nothing bad to say about the ones i know

damo1

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

something I have seen, is that even in the "main line" churches such as Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist and such that are very open to the Operations of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.....

the first part of the 1900's, the non-Pentecostal churches were more pentecostal then the pentecostal churches are now.....

People are looking for something that they need, they feel the emptiness and the void and are yearning for something the world can not offer..... a good number of churches are nothing more then a glorified country club, and very exclusive.... that is just like the world, very exclusive....

if a church fellowship has hope in it, people will come.... it is not the music.... if a person is coming for the music, or the type of music, they are looking to be entertained, they do not even hear the sermon, or message....

some come just to be fed.... what ever they can get..... and if they are no longer feeling like they are being fed, they no longer come.... what is it they are seeking?

some come to be the center of attention, these people will no longer come if attention is not paid to them on a regular basis..

what is the definition of pentecostal?

what is the definition of charasmatic?

what is the definition of main line?

what is the definition of conservative?

what is the definition of liberal?

these might be questions that need to be answered to see what kind of church we are really looking for, kind of like the terms of

rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, well done.... one person would think one thing, another will think another....

mike

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/25/1976

Snake handling, tongues as essential for salvation, UPC legalism and modalism heresy, etc. are not classical Pentecostalism. Most Pents would not condone these things, including Word of Faith, etc.

Exactly. I think the AoG is probably the biggest Pentecostal denomination, and we have fought hard to prevent these kind of abuses. Anyone who is interested can visit the AoG website for more information. There is a lot of data that deals specifically with things that have been and continue to be abused by some.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I don't know - what's worse . . .

A Pentecostal snake-handling church?

Or an Episcopalian homosexuality-is-of-God church?

:emot-questioned:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Nebula, maybe a Pentapailian homosexual snake handling church preaching a prosperity gospel message? :emot-questioned:

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

I don't know - what's worse . . .

A Pentecostal snake-handling church?

Or an Episcopalian homosexuality-is-of-God church?

:thumbsup:

actually, I would rather be around the snakes that are reptiles, rather then the snake in the grasses that tend to show up in the church fellowships, the ones you can not trust....

as far as the reptile type snakes, I understand them, and can deal with them and even handle them if need be... I have handled many snakes, not because of religious dealings, but due to location and work, I have handled venomous snakes, the first time at age 5, a diamond back rattle snake, since then have dealt with copper heads and water moccasins. The only snake I have been bit by was a large (4 foot) striped garder snake, which did get hold of my hand while working with it around kids.

the largest was a 15 foot long python, which I would walk down the hall at school with....

I understand them, and for the most part, I leave them to themselves, moving them to other locations for the safety of the snake or people.....

snake in the grass, the human type of snake, I do not like dealing with them what so ever.......

mike