• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

i am more charasmatic then penticostal even though i went to an aog church i got saved in a charasmtic church thats were i found my self when i got released from manus prison farm in 1988 i was invited to attend a church service sunday night service in a packed unitting church the members were x catholics some brought up as luthrens baptists jehova witnesses sevral x mormans and open brethren and exclussive brethren and a few anglcans who joined the church and some old methodists

charasmatics believe in ussing the gifts god has given us like laying of hands speaking in tongues ussing catchers when alter calls are called threw the worship services members dance wave flags clap hands sing in tongues and so on

the penticostal church i found my self in when i left canbera was an aog church but it was not legalistic very relaxed group i met some good people

i did though strugle were do i fit in who do i hang out with as a lot of my friends are charasmatic christians and penticostal christians

though i am also seeing that some anglicans are know alowing its members to be more like us charasmatics were the sunday night services are more less traditional then the morning services the minister even relaxes and does not wear his religous clothes or dress as i call it thats what i have always caled what the pope wears a dress

their is a book called holy spirit i hunger for you it talks about the revival in a small church in spain

you wil be blessed you can get this book at your local christian book store

damo1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  223
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/08/1969

The way Charasmatic "truly" got started in the beginning were by catholic jesuit priest who wanted to lead people into the catholic teaching of Mary, etc. It would take a while to really get in to all this.

Well, if this is true then they failed miserably in their task because I don't know any Charismatics who follow Catholicism or their regards for Mary (except a couple "Charismatic Catholics").

You obviously don't move in the right circles then!

There's plenty of Charismatic Catholics about, who still practise Marian devotions, and are very definitely Catholic. There are annual conferences in Birmingham.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

IMO godrulz and samP have spoken right in that Pentecostals come from the Protestant branch and Charismatics from Catholic but i dont know about the Mary thing SamP, need to elaborate perhaps?. The common denominator in both of these is the acceptance of speaking in tongues,healing and miracles etc.

Now folks i believe this is a very important topic and consideration, and there is a warning to be heeded.

I myself came to faith in a Pentecostal church at age 28, i had been a athiest up to that point but when i believed Jesus i never questioned anything that was in the bible for our example. Lately however the wheels have come off my Pentecostal wagon, as now i see that there is very little promotion or focus on holiness "without which no one will see the LORD".

Im not speaking of all such churches but heres what i believe is happening.

In order for error to get into the church there must be compromise and to compromise there needs to be common ground. This common ground is the once good and acceptable gifts and miracles. But now holiness has been relegated to the back seat and while acknowledged it is not defined or held in high esteem, and often seems held in suspicion as something legalistic and causing bondange.

It is true that many false teachers do promote a false holiness and thereby making it appear an unpalitable thing to be avoided, but true holiness brings wholeness, joy and true freedom.

Getting back to the warning, i believe we are seeing a dumbing down and a removal of holiness so that error can be mixed with truth and a one world religion can rise to prominence. This will appear Christian and embrace all eventually. Its already happened in many ways and the Pentecostals and the Catholics have agreed to a ceasefire so to speak. Leaders from both have met and agreed that there was sufficient agreement in doctrine to lay down differences and agree not to promote evangelism of each other. The next step is to get the orthodox churches to blend with the Pentecostal/Charismatics, and this too is happening more and more here in NZ.

But now see here. Popery and true Christians cannot mix as the Popes teach that ONLY those that join the Catholic Church are truly saved. Listen there may be true Christians within the Catholic church, but Popery is all wrong and the Church is being over run with error not only from Pentecostalism/Charismaticism but because she is failing to remain true the word in all things, and mostly in the teaching of true holiness.

I am not promoting any particular branch, we all need to seek God for the truth in His word raise up holiness as the standard. Jesus said "many will Lord Lord...

but i will say depart from me you workers of iniquity". They did miracles (maybe even very humanitarian) but their lives were sinful, they were not holy.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Pentecostals have roots in the Wesleyan Holiness tradition. We have had issues with legalism and license. We need both gifts and fruit/character, not either/or.

I Peter 1:13-16 and I Cor. 12-14.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

there are UPC which are fairly religious in manner, such as the long dresses, long hair, long sleeves...

there are other pentecostal folk that are what would be considered "FULL GOSPEL" and believe in the entire Gospel, the operations of Gifts of the Spirit, but do not worry so much about who wears a dress or jeans or pants, or how long some ones hair is (long is a relative term, my hair was long compared to some, but compared to my wife, is way way way short, compared to some her hair is short.... compared to some my hair is long.... )

there are some that would believe that dancing with venomous snakes is a good thing, and do so during their church time... however, I believe "THOU SHALT NOT TEMPT THE LORD THY GOD"

if you go to one Assembly of God church, and then go to another, and another and another.... you will find there are many differences between the church fellowships.... ( they are all independent , but fall under the group THE ASSEMBLIES OF GOD )

1903 is the birthday for the first Assembly of God (galena Kansas)

1913 (if I remember correctly) the Assemblies of God was formed....

The Assemblies have a set of standards (rules and bylaws) that are common between all the Assembly of God church fellowships, there are other rules and by laws/standards that each fellowship has with in their church........

there are some Pentecostals that believe that if a person DOES NOT speak in tongues they are not saved.... hmmm that aint what the Word says.....

a person has to be careful about what or who they focus on..... some focus on what man is being used to do, and others focus on what God is doing.... some focus on HOW it is done and how they think it needs to be done....

How does God want it done? when does He want it done, where does He want it done and by whom.....

stereo typing church names can be hazardous..... just cause some one tags a church building as Baptist, dont make it safe to go in.... just cause some one tags a buidling as Christian, dont mean they teach the Word.... just cause some one says we cast out demons in His Name, dont make itso..... just going to church does not make a person a Christian, no more then walking into a garage makes a person a Lamborghini or a Maserati.....

mike

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

same with the churches planted in australia hill song in sydney is very relaxed but it has its guide lines and its rules pastor brian hustan is very down to earth has his way of doing things yet they get given a bad name

i have been to aog churhes in australia and they are not the same as hill song

what i notice some cant be like hill song yet are trying to get the numbers behind them

i have been in sevral legalistic churhes were dress code is forced on you men have to have short hair cant grow beards or goaties while other ones are not that bothered with how its members dress or weather men have beards and goaties women dont have to cover there heads or cover ther arms like wearing a long sleve shirt so as not to intice the men wear you have the men lusting

christian out reach center is the same i just left a christian out reach center church to find out what christian out reach center believes in do a google i dont want to clog this topic or spend two hours going over coc doctrines

some are very charasmatic some very traditional while most coc churches are penticostal and they inforce the law how members should behave what should be sung in the sunday morning service to who does the communion and what scripture verses to share when its time to have communion

the one i was with had communion every sunday the pastor got the young people doing the sunday morning worship to even leading communion a lot of older members frowned on my pastor yet he did not care what they had to say sevral left sevral confronted him before they left

my pastor when he took over the coc church in armidale he did not want it to be legalistic

some coc churches pick who its leaders are very fussy who they want working behind the pastor

if you dont suport the pastor he wil ignore you you wil not get a chance to grow or use the gifts god has given you to use

some even dont let the holy spirit flow freely with in its sunday morning services

i preffer to be in a church were his spirit is flowing freely and not were i am being dictated to to were i dont get a chance to use the gifts that god has given me to were i am just hearing the pastor and his hand picked team do the sharing and preaching

i have learnt the hard way and i wil not let no man control me teling me what to believe in who to date what to wear to even who my friends are

one thing i have noticed certain members are picked to say only what the pastor tells them to say its like drawing the lost to them showing how caring they are

i like to worship god freely were i dont go buy a name tag

their was no charasmatic or penticostal christian when the holy spirit fell on the disciples in the upper room

when i read the book of acts i did not hear peter saying i am charasmatic and i belong to the charasmatic movement and i did not hear the apostle paul saying i am a penticostal and i belong to the penticostal movement

nor did i hear gods son say i am apostolic catholic traditional religous luthren orthadox

this is what puzzles me how we have chrasmatic and penticostal

we all believe that gods son died for us we all believe that he rose on the third day and is seated by his fathers side in heaven

damo1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

Snake handling, tongues as essential for salvation, UPC legalism and modalism heresy, etc. are not classical Pentecostalism. Most Pents would not condone these things, including Word of Faith, etc.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Pentecostals tends to be more "holiness" oriented, meaning long sleeves, long (uncut) hair, no alcohol, dresses only for women . .

I go to a Pentecostal Assemblies of God church in Canada and its not at all like this.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

And like Lady C, I've never seen slain in the spirit. I've seen tongues done in accordance with the Biblical description. They teach healing of the body ONLY if it's what Gods will is and God sometimes makes a decision not to heal the physical body.

Its all about the condition of one's heart.