IGNORED

is a movement in the church a good thing??

jesussaves

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

This really doesn't sound like a church, but a social gathering. No discipline. No accountability.

That is exactly what I thought when I visited. The amazing thing is their statement of faith and doctrine are totally in line with scripture. Their movement is called a revolution. I was bumfuzzeled because I did not feel the presence of the Lord, yet the songs were Jesus centered (rock). People were there to worship because I did see a few raised hands... I went home feeling like I had experienced culture shock both in that state and that church and I began fasting and praying for revival there. I could not find a way to tell my loved one how I felt about that church, so prayer was in order big time.

I here about the times changing all around me, but there is one thing I know...the Lord does not change.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

We are told in Romans 12:2 not to conform to the world. It seems that some churches are doing this to try and bring in those who would not go to a "normal" orthodox church. Too much postmodernism today ... especially in the church.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  53
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/08/1976

Humans come up with many ideas about church types but often forget the essential ingridient of God and Jesus

Blessings

I agree.

The biggest hurdle right now is we have a new generation.

Let's face it most of us (30 and under) ain't into the old hyms with the durge tonics. So we get new music. Just because the older way of church is sing "how great thou art" in a slow droning doesn't inspire worship for some people. Nothing wrong with the old hymns, but they were designed for a time and for a generation. The Lord does inspire people in other ways.

Not every church needs to be a sit down hands on your knees service. Different coultures worship differently. Why should the younger generation feel the need to continue in a way that's not inspirational to them?

Another thing,, Believers shouldn't leave it to the preacher man to feed them the word of God. Although I do appreciate a good well planned and Holy Spirit inspired sermon.

On the otherhand..

The building where we congregate should have some order to it. During service I believe there should be quiet reverence. (I'm a quiet reverence kinda guy anyway) But, it should be quiet while the preacher man is talking.

Worship time should be organaized to a point, but not just "let's stand and sing" and sing a song wrote in the 1400's. Jump if you want, sing if you want, don't jump if you don't want and don't sing if you don't want. Worship is subjective to the person giving worship.

I do believe the building is a place for all of us to come together have some fun, edify eachother, have bible studies, and fellowship, and good clean conversation. Everytime we get together it should be a fun time.

But, as Paul says, "Everything in moderation"

Having a concession stand is pretty silly to me. And people just runnin around like a school social isn't such a good thing while the word is being taught.

I think it's a great idea to have a place people can and want to come hang out.

How many churches do you see have their 1 hour service, then everyone rushes out the door and rarely says a word to another. Some might mingle for a while. And the preacherman stands at the door waiting on handshakes and he can't even look you in the eye and call you by name.

In my opinion as long as the word of God is being taught, and there is order and structure, I don't care how you do things, and the Lord doesn't eather.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.22
  • Content Count:  4,274
  • Content Per Day:  4.77
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

If the Church does not preach Jesus Christ and Him crucified, and nothing else, then the "church" is an apostate church. And the majority or "Christian" churches are apostate because the congregation does not want to hear the truth; they don't want to be convicted of their sins. And God does care how one comes to Him in worship.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

There is nothing inherently bad or good about a movement. It depends on what the movement is

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,446
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  09/30/1944

Jesussaves,

"Someone I love dearly goes to one of these movement churches and it troubles me that more harm than good can come if not well grounded on what the Lord's unchanging word says...stand on sound doctrine and do not be drawn away by every wind and doctrine of man."

You did not mention in your original post what "the dearly loved ones" opinion of the "movement" church was, and why she was attending.

Could it be because she was completeley turned off of the Evangelical Church she was previously attending and was seeking some real spiritual growth? Was it because she was sick and tired of dead powerless religion? Was she sick and tired of worshiping church doctrine instead of Jesus?Was she sick and tired of nothing but "baby Christian" sermons.

These are some of the grounds and causes why movement chruches were started in the first place. Evangelical churches are starting to take notice for only one reason.........their attendance is dropping.

Albert Finch

http://www.thekeys2kingdom.com

Edited by Albert Finch

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

It has always been my understanding that whenever a "movement" rises up it is for the purpose of breaking free from something. For example, the Hippi Movement in the 60's. people were breaking free from the moral and social standards of our country and "doing their own thing"

No denomination has ever been started without some kind of movement. The Methodists were started by a revival by John Wesley, Pentecostal by revivals in the early 20th century. There is nothing inherently wrong with a movement.

I have been keeping an eye on some of the postmodern churches. I think there is a right way to implement one to reach a younger generation. It doesn't sound like the "revolution" church yall attended is doing it the right way. I think they have adopted the postmodern "anything goes" attitude instead of trying to simply speak to a postmodern generation.

Wrong turn.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

I have mixed feeling about your statement. I don't think we should write-off reaching a younger generation and "being worldly."

I'm not sure what normal is, or is suppose to be. Most churches are geared toward the over 50 crowd. That may be the most common format but certainly not the only way to worship. I'm approaching 40 so it shouldn't be too long before I fit in better and stop complaining so much :emot-questioned: Maybe when I am 65 I too will love the old timey music and sniffling atmosphere I find most churches.

We are told in Romans 12:2 not to conform to the world. It seems that some churches are doing this to try and bring in those who would not go to a "normal" orthodox church. Too much postmodernism today ... especially in the church.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

I have mixed feeling about your statement. I don't think we should write-off reaching a younger generation and "being worldly."

I'm not sure what normal is, or is suppose to be. Most churches are geared toward the over 50 crowd. That may be the most common format but certainly not the only way to worship. I'm approaching 40 so it shouldn't be too long before I fit in better and stop complaining so much :) Maybe when I am 65 I too will love the old timey music and sniffling atmosphere I find most churches.

LOL .. when I reach 65 I hope to be able to hear the music! Too much loud music as a teenager ...

I may get a lot of heat for this, but I am willing to say it anyway. When I see how many are trying to reach the young as being like them, I have a bit of concern, on two fronts.

First front:

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (New King James Version)

Serving All Men

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

name='jesussaves' date='Jul 12 2009,

In the past few years I have witnessed the shift of some churches and Christians breaking from the norm and calling themselves a movement. It has always been my understanding that whenever a "movement" rises up it is for the purpose of breaking free from something. For example, the Hippi Movement in the 60's. people were breaking free from the moral and social standards of our country and "doing their own thing". The womens movement brought womens rights to the forefront by "bra" burning, women wanted to be treated, not just equally, but like men. Womens lib surfaced. Gay rights movement... rebellion is what seems to me is the catalist for every movement.

Well no burning for me cause I need mine :D

And yes "rebellion" in these type movements are worldly caterring to their fleshly desires instead of walking in the spirit, minding the things that are above in obeying the word. The carnal mind is at enmity (enemy) with God and results in death as the wages of sin is death but the spiritual mind is life and peace. Romans 8:1-17 & Galations 5:13-26 and there is a balance to all of this which I'll give a little later.

Granted there have been some good come from many so called movements, but what if a church says something like, "We are not just a church we are a movement". What if that movement is encouraging lack of Biblical standards, yet preaches Jesus. Kids are running around without discipline, youth are dressed in anything provocotive they choose, strobe lights replace what should be an atmosphere of reverance for the Lord and kids are encouraged to buy from the snack bar as they go out the door instead of receiving rewards as they go out the door, the fellowship snack bar for adults is a balcony overlooking the sanctuary and people are running about up there while the music ministry is in worship music "mode" and then the pastor comes on and preaches something that can be heard only over bird calls and ofcourse, the balcony is still active...is this kind of "movement" actually drawing people to Christ, or away from His unchanging Word and standard of true holiness?

Okay, many of the church splits do so using the scriptures in 2 Corinthians 6:14--7:1 to justify their movement of what they are calling a spirit filled church and some say they don't need a ch urch because their body is the temple of God thus they are doing this for their own lust of the flesh. The type of church you mentioned above IMO is far from righteousness and basically mocking the things of God by following their own lust and God is not mocked.

Now early on in my Christian walk I thought that church splits was pretty cool as they was standing up for God and the gospel. But as I grew older in the word I changed my mind when I saw in the book of Galatians 5 that strife was not of the Spirit but was of the fleshly desires that our body craves and fights against the things of God. These type of churches you mentioned are splits not of God but are based solely on "strife" among them and they are in chaos and it is Satan that is the auther of confusion.

Now on the flip side of the coin their are godly people who follow the word and follow the Spirit that may have to seperate because they no longer keep to the "traditions" :th_praying: of God but are true to the "traditions" of men 2 Thessalonians 2:15--Therefore, brethren, standfast, and hold the "traditions" :th_praying: which ye have been taught, whether by the word, or by our epistle

The gospel of our salvation did not come cheap but according to Hebrews 11 you can read of the saints of old in the OT who handed down to their children the faith in the one and only true and living God. The traditions of old and the traditions of the NT in the word is still being held high as the saints of today are still handing down the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ our inheritance in God. This is not speaking of traditions families have in their homes like at Christmas time or New Years Eve traditions they may practice bringing in the new year etc.,. One should know the difference between the traditions of men and the traditions of God passed down to us by being taught in the word and taught by the espistles. This kind of tradition is still alive.

There are those who seperate themselves splitting off for their own desires, then you have the balance being those who are serving God out of sincerity and truth. Joshua 24:14--serve him in sincerity and in truth. & 1 Corinthians 5:8 & 2 Corinthians 1:12 But there are two groups of churches in the world being the movements that is following their own mindset and desires "THEN" you have the true saints of God that do not march to the drum beats of this world anymore but follow the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. One seperates for wrong motives the other out of sincerity and truth when thy from the truth have to seperate for the right reasons in the word 2 Corinthians 6:14--7:1 Two groups in the world the godly and ungodly and that's it.

Someone I love dearly goes to one of these movement churches and it troubles me that more harm than good can come if not well grounded on what the Lord's unchanging word says...stand on sound doctrine and do not be drawn away by every wind and doctrine of man.

It is always hard when we see those in whom we love close to our hearts in a state of rebellion it really cuts to the quick of our hearts. Whenever a group of people splits off from another group to start up a movement they are meaning that revival has broken out when it is only a revival of rebellion against the word of God. We just have to keep in mind that there is a right and wrong.

I agree with the things you have shared with us and there has been many of great answers that have been given in a positive light. :th_praying:

blessings

oc