IGNORED

is a movement in the church a good thing??

jesussaves

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

In the past few years I have witnessed the shift of some churches and Christians breaking from the norm and calling themselves a movement. It has always been my understanding that whenever a "movement" rises up it is for the purpose of breaking free from something. For example, the Hippi Movement in the 60's. people were breaking free from the moral and social standards of our country and "doing their own thing". The womens movement brought womens rights to the forefront by bra burning, women wanted to be treated, not just equally, but like men. Womens lib surfaced. Gay rights movement... rebellion is what seems to me is the catalist for every movement.

Granted there have been some good come from many so called movements, but what if a church says something like, "We are not just a church we are a movement". What if that movement is encouraging lack of Biblical standards, yet preaches Jesus. Kids are running around without discipline, youth are dressed in anything provocotive they choose, strobe lights replace what should be an atmosphere of reverance for the Lord and kids are encouraged to buy from the snack bar as they go out the door instead of receiving rewards as they go out the door, the fellowship snack bar for adults is a balcony overlooking the sanctuary and people are running about up there while the music ministry is in worship music "mode" and then the pastor comes on and preaches something that can be heard only over bird calls and ofcourse, the balcony is still active...is this kind of "movement" actually drawing people to Christ, or away from His unchanging Word and standard of true holiness?

Someone I love dearly goes to one of these movement churches and it troubles me that more harm than good can come if not well grounded on what the Lord's unchanging word says...stand on sound doctrine and do not be drawn away by every wind and doctrine of man.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I do not think that what you describe is a church I would want to be a part of. When there is a departure from God's word and there is integration of man's interpretation of Scripture that is not really the true Word... I think it's dangerous and certainly not edifying to God. IMO.

Guest lovinghim4ever
I do not think that what you describe is a church I would want to be a part of. When there is a departure from God's word and there is integration of man's interpretation of Scripture that is not really the true Word... I think it's dangerous and certainly not edifying to God. IMO.

:):noidea:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

This really doesn't sound like a church, but a social gathering. No discipline. No accountability.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Someone I love dearly goes to one of these movement churches and it troubles me that more harm than good can come if not well grounded on what the Lord's unchanging word says...stand on sound doctrine and do not be drawn away by every wind and doctrine of man.

I'm a little confused. Is the movement church as you described above, or was that an example of a bad movement?

What is the doctrine and practice of the "movement church" your loved on belongs to?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Does this "movement" (what does that mean exactly), have a statement of faith one can read? :huh:

Does this "movement" (what does that mean exactly), have a statement of faith one can read? :huh:

In my opinion, statements of faith mean very little. Most of them are just carbon copies of one another. Some of the most corrupt churches in the world appear beautiful and righteous from the outside.

Matthew 23

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Does this "movement" (what does that mean exactly), have a statement of faith one can read? :th_praying:

In my opinion, statements of faith mean very little. Most of them are just carbon copies of one another. Some of the most corrupt churches in the world appear beautiful and righteous from the outside.

Matthew 23

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Each generation tries to create God in its own image rather than shape themselves in His image.

Just remember Jesus on simple commandment.

"My command is this: "to love one another as I have loved you." John 15:

Apply the second part regarding Jesus example to this movement and see how it shapes up.

By the way, you are blessed that your loved one attends a church, none of my nearest and dearest go anywhere near one.

Yours in Jesus

Christofine :huh:

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Humans come up with many ideas about church types but often forget the essential ingridient of God and Jesus

Blessings