• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  633
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/05/1953

Jesus basically said, "Do as they say, not as they do".

Unless this individual was flat out lying to her where the Word was concerned, I see no reason to distrust other pastors.

OK, much better! I understand where you are coming from and yes, she does need to be able to "trust" Spiritual Leaders again as far as guidance goes. I just needed some clarification because I know many denominations laud that scripture to justify their express rights as much as they (pastors/leaders) sit in Moses' seat. But that was done away with at the Cross and the Veil was rent. Jesus took all the Priest Leadership of the Law of Moses upon Himself and not just their positions in the Temple but the Holy Priesthood after the order of Melchisedec which is more fully explained in Hebrews 7:1-13

The other problem is who can be trusted especially when we have the likes of Joel Osteen and others of the "feel good" but "no Jesus" preaching crowd? A close personal relationship intimately built daily in Jesus Christ is the Only Way and Guide. Then we can see the "Fruits" or lack thereof. :thumbsup:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Edited by Songstress

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I'm so sorry to hear about this. As a former youth worker, I am deeply saddened to hear that a youth pastor has hurt kids in this way.

I would like to encourage you to truly seek out the truth of God's word and compare it to anything that any pastor says. My own pastor encourages the congregation to open their Bibles and compare his sermon with the word of God. A couple of times, I have gone to him after the service is over and asked him to clarify something that he said because I did not understand what he said compared to the scriptures. Clarification was made, and he was not offended. A true Christ-centered pastor will not think badly of you for asking questions.

Again, I heartily encourage you to please not be jaded because of one person- that's exactly what the devil wants to happen. Instead, resolve to seek first the kingdom of God. (Matthew 6:33)

Use this time of conflict and hurt to run to the Father. Tell Him everything you're feeling (He already knows, anyway). He wants to hear from you, He wants to be first and foremost in your life. He is a jealous God, and wants nothing and no one in the place where He is supposed to be in your life- that is, number one.

I've been where you are at when I was younger (though not because of the same circumstances) and was quite appalled that someone could disappoint so many people and claim to be a Christian. Instead of running to the Father, I became jaded and cynical, and I greatly regret it. Please, take it from someone who has been there- run to the Father, and seek WISE counsel from a Christ-centered person. (Worthy forums is a great place to start, lol! :thumbsup: ) Proverbs 2 tells us to seek out wisdom and understanding, that they both come from God, and they will protect our hearts, minds, and bodies. Seek out this wisdom.

Again, seek wise counsel- counsel based upon the holy scriptures of God. Study His word. If you can, get a copy of Spurgeon's Morning and Evening- this devotional has greatly deepened mine and my wife's relationship with the Lord.

Finally, pray that God will raise up a mighty man of God to take the place of this person that will truly lead.

I will be praying for you, and I hope that some of what I have said has helped you. May God bless, keep, and lead you.

Edited by Drawn

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

There was one person I used to always go to for spiritual guidance. He was my encouragement anytime I felt like I was falling away from God. A few months ago he moved to a different town. Then last Friday I found out a little more info as to why he left. All I am allowed to know is that it was very illegal, immoral, and could have landed him in jail for a long time. Let's just say the news crushed me. I feel like the biggest part of my church life was all a scam now. I feel like I can't trust Pastors anymore, because who knows what they're doing in the free time now.

How do I allow myself to move past this?

Hey Songstress :emot-hug:

I know what it feels like to suffer a fallen leader. :( There was a youth pastor everyone looked up to who it turned out . . .well . . . had a very bad problem. It crushed a lot of us. I was in tears and shooken up for a long time myself.

It's natural to feel the way you do now. Betrayal does that. For now you need to let yourself mourn. It's OK to scream your feelings of rage and hurt. It's part of the mourning process, and it releases tension.

But through it all, try to remember that your faith is in the Lord, not the person. Remember how the Lord prophesied through Saul even during a time when Saul was in rebellion? If the truth is from God, then it doesn't matter if the vessel delivering the message was broken. The Word is the Word is the Word.

Yeah, I know it's hard to see it that way right now . . . especially since you are wondering now if he ever was speaking the word of God or had the Spirit in him or whatever. It's going to be confusing for quite some time.

Just keep holding on to Jesus until this storm passes by. And it will pass by. (I've been through it, I made it through it, I trust you can and will, too. :) ) You don't have to understand to hold on. Just determine that the Lord does not change. He is with you. He will turn this around for your good (it says so in the Bible). Determine to hold on a trust Him ... even if you don't know what that means. And ask Him for wisdom and insight into the situation - and wait for an answer. You may not yet be ready for the answer, but keep seeking Him.

The Father loves you and won't let you go. :emot-heartbeat:

That's the thing. I don't know what advice was spirit led, if any of it was at all. I don't know if he was living a double life all along or if temptation just got the best of him. I know that no one is perfect and that we all fall short. I didn't expect him to be perfect, but I did trust that he was someone I could go to for sound advice.

How did what he tell you line up with the Word? Do you feel he lied to you?

People stumble, and some fall harder than others. Don't write someone off because of what someone else did. Whatever it is he did, he knew the consequences.

Learn from this experience.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

That's the thing. I don't know what advice was spirit led, if any of it was at all. . . .

:emot-heartbeat: Start with searching the Scriptures. I don't know how much you do or don't know. But knowing the Bible for yourself goes a long way.

Another thing you can do is ask others about certain things and see what they have to say on the specific subjects. You may get a muddle of responses, but by comparing others' words to his may help you develop a better picture.

Does that make sense?

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

There was one person I used to always go to for spiritual guidance. He was my encouragement anytime I felt like I was falling away from God. A few months ago he moved to a different town. Then last Friday I found out a little more info as to why he left. All I am allowed to know is that it was very illegal, immoral, and could have landed him in jail for a long time. Let's just say the news crushed me. I feel like the biggest part of my church life was all a scam now. I feel like I can't trust Pastors anymore, because who knows what they're doing in the free time now.

How do I allow myself to move past this?

When you're hurt turn to Jesus for comfort, my dear sister. Rest assured, the rod of God's chastisement will be upon this disobedient vessel, the minister you spoke of who hurt himself and others. We are to forgive and let God handle the situation. I don't believe your church life was a scam because God knew your heart. God is merciful to all of us. I truly hope that this youth minister is so miserable, that he cries out in repentance. God will receive him back into the fold if he will do this. God will keep his hand on you in the meantime. You belong to him and he has a vested interest in you. Some years ago, two people did me wrong. I kept crying out to God about it. God used his rod of correction on both of them. One in particular had the awfullest year that he ever had in his life, he said. I fear God, and that rod of correction in my own life. God loves us too much to let us get by with unrepented disobedience.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

The Word is the Word is the Word.

Just keep holding on to Jesus until this storm passes by. And it will pass by.

You don't have to understand to hold on. Just determine that the Lord does not change. You may not yet be ready for the answer, but keep seeking Him.

The Father loves you and won't let you go. :emot-heartbeat:

AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN!!! :emot-hug:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

I'm sorry for your heartfelt pain, Songstress. It is a lesson many have learned. Don't depend on people in the church to mentor you and teach you - get into your own rhythm of spiritual mentorship and council with Jesus - He will never ever disappoint. People are all human.... they can and often will disappoint and hurt you - God Never will. God Bless you.

Right

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

John ch. 6

a many of people including myself walked with a blind faith once and we couldn't see or discern what was true from what was false. Although you've gotten hurt and feel like you've been betrayed. But having your eyes opened will turn out to be a blessing as you learn to put your faith and trust in God.

Christ is the Shepherd of our soul and will be to us whatever we have need of. What people can't do for us Christ can do.

John 6:33-- Seek ye first, the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you. (that is being taught us in John ch.6)

oc