• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

IMO the following is a formula to recognise a cult or if a church (group of people) are leaning towards becoming one. If N.Z we have a large splinter group off the mainstream pentecostal church called Destiny Church, headed by a Bishop (apostle?) Brian Tamaki. IMO this group is in grave danger of becoming a fully fledged cult, doing much harm to the cause of Christ and ruining the faith of gulliable people. Although they do not fulfill the list below they have these leanings.

All quotes below are mine, or used as common expressions.

1. They claim to be the only church, and often claim unbroken succession from the apostles.

Although the Church has never been eliminated entirely in any generation, many times persecution has forced her underground to survive and resurface later. Even in the time of the Apostles great persecution spread the church into all regions as they fled to safety. Whenever a true Christian fled/moved to another country, there the church soon existed.

2. They call themselves by another name other than just a Christian. i.e "im a Mormon, J.W, Catholic etc"

Destiny church here promote their name heavily in all their services as a seperate people "not like those other luke warm christians"

3. They insist on uniformity and usually this shows up in a dress code or strong preference by peer pressure.

4. They are denominally selfish and exclusive of other Christian groups, and usually end up with shelter groups and communes to avoid being in the world.

Alarm bells have gone off here as Destiny church begin implementing plans to build a self sufficient community for "Destiny people" in the heart of the city.

5. Their self appointed leader (not subject to the 5 fold ministry) has total authority and power, usually enjoying the lions share of the fianances.

Brian Tamaki in N.Z enjoys wealth unparralled among pastors here and clearly shows a preference for the bling of the world and bears no ressembalence to the Apostle Paul.

6. The preaching will mostly be against the base (overt) sins of adultery, theft, homosexuality etc and not the covert sins of pride, coveting, selfishness etc.

This appeals to mans self righteous nature, and pleases the flesh to feel "im glad im not like those sinners". To be clear all sin should be preached against untill the pastor can see he has rooted it out from among his flock, but pointing the finger at the world instead of the plank in their own eye is a common trait of cults.

In hindsight i probably shouldve posted this in controvertial topics, i leave it for the moderators to decide.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I know some very fine Catholic brothers and sisters. They differ in doctrine, but they still follow Jesus Christ.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

I also have many friends who are Catholic and love Christ. I do not agree with the comment in the OP that included Catholics as cultists.

Consider the following:

(1) Cult members are

• Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

2. They call themselves by another name other than just a Christian. i.e "im a Mormon, J.W, Catholic etc"

So you're basically saying that any church which isn't non-denominational could be a cult?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.95
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Did I miss something? I don't see where the OP singled out the Catholic Church.

So you're basically saying that any church which isn't non-denominational could be a cult?

Sorry i shouldve been clearer. No i meant that cults always have a name other than Christian. I go to a denomination that is called Apostolic, but i am not an Apostolic, i am just a Christian and i also go to any church around the world that preaches Christ crucified and the bible as inerrent.

I hesitated to include Catholics as i knew it would upset some, but a Catholic will always even when "non practicing" (in blatant sin) call themselves " a Catholic".

They do not say i am a Christian who goes to a catholic church, they have given themselves another name and this is what they are.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

Did I miss something? I don't see where the OP singled out the Catholic Church.

example: 2 at the end. I would also like to add, that cults usually will take some of the scripture, but not include those other verses that are necessary to get the full meaning of the subject.

I know some very fine Catholic brothers and sisters. They differ in doctrine, but they still follow Jesus Christ.

hi OL, do you accept then that you are not a Christian in Catholic church teaching unless you join the Catholic church, which they also teach is the only true church?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry i shouldve been clearer. No i meant that cults always have a name other than Christian. I go to a denomination that is called Apostolic, but i am not an Apostolic, i am just a Christian and i also go to any church around the world that preaches Christ crucified and the bible as inerrent.

I hesitated to include Catholics as i knew it would upset some, but a Catholic will always even when "non practicing" (in blatant sin) call themselves " a Catholic".

They do not say i am a Christian who goes to a catholic church, they have given themselves another name and this is what they are.

Catholics in societies where catholics are a minority that is. This is, at least in part, because in such societies they are labeled as different by others.

I also have many friends who are Catholic and love Christ. I do not agree with the comment in the OP that included Catholics as cultists.

Consider the following:

(1) Cult members are