• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

Did Jesus ever call someone a legalist ? The Pharisee`s were called hypocrites, vipers, hard hearted, blind and other discriptions? but where does the term "Legalism" originate from?

One opinion i have read is that the use of the word "Legalism" is just a christian trying to excuse something.

Are there really legalists out there or is this just the Pharisee`s of today still trying to wriggle out obeying God in spirit and in truth?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

'JCISGD' date='Nov 7 2009,

Did Jesus ever call someone a legalist ? The Pharisee`s were called hypocrites, vipers, hard hearted, blind and other discriptions? but where does the term "Legalism" originate from?

Nowhere can I find in my bible not one time did Jesus use the term "legalist" to address anyone.

The term "legalism" originated from E.P. Sanders and James D.G. Dunn who picked it up if I'm correct but I may not be right as I guessed from my memory

One opinion i have read is that the use of the word "Legalism" is just a christian trying to excuse something

It is my opinion when reading some of E.P. Sanders material it was evident to me he was mixing the gospel with other material of apostle Paul but even though the books were about Paul the books were not truth and he blended this all with the book of Galatians. And it is defiantly my observation which is not much that the term "legalism" was created for the purpose of "EXCUSE" trying to do away with the book of Galations so that he and others would not follow the truth in Galatians within the confines of the false doctrine of "legalism"

Are there really legalists out there or is this just the Pharisee`s of today still trying to wriggle out obeying God in spirit and in truth?

Yes, I believe there are legalist out there who boldly hold onto their belief in legalism. I do believe they are the Pharisee's of our day exalting the "legalism" doctrine high above others to show themselves more holy than others. And I believe those who hold onto the false doctrine are wiggling, twisting to keep from obeying God. Apearing that they are worshipping God in spirit and truth but inside they are dead man's bones.

oc

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

Legalism concerns the Mosaic Law. The Pharisees were the epitome of legalists. They accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath by healing or eating ... and so on. Their accusations were never ending.

Modern-day Judaizers insist we must observe some point in the law like circumcision or obeying the Holy Days or whatever.

Yes, we do have them today.

One opinion i have read is that the use of the word "Legalism" is just a christian trying to excuse something.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Probably a lawyer :)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

I think leagalism is good or bad your own Christian mind needs to make decisions. Like do woman wear pants, is it ok or not to drink a glass or two of wine, cutting of hair, I could go on and on about the grey areas of our own conscience. Some groups or sects of Christianity call it "holliness" and Christians like me call it legalistic. Its a good word to decribe what some churches proclaim. I have nothing against them let them do what they wish as long as they believe in Jesus and Love God and there neighbor as themselves.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/25/1962

I have a few questions I

• Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/08/1964

This is the Merriam-Webster.com definition of "LEGALISM"

Main Entry: le

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I would like to try and reiterate a point that comes up from time to time and I think needs addressing:-

JCISGD....Did Jesus ever call someone a legalist ? The Pharisee`s were called hypocrites, vipers, hard hearted, blind and other discriptions? but where does the term "Legalism" originate from?

Openly Curious Yes, I believe there are legalist out there who boldly hold onto their belief in legalism. I do believe they are the Pharisee's of our day exalting the "legalism" doctrine high above others to show themselves more holy than others. And I believe those who hold onto the false doctrine are wiggling, twisting to keep from obeying God. Apearing that they are worshipping God in spirit and truth but inside they are dead man's bones.

KCO2 Legalism concerns the Mosaic Law. The Pharisees were the epitome of legalists. They accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath by healing or eating ... and so on. Their accusations were never ending.

I think it gives the wrong impression when we use the Pharisees purely in a negative light, and is also 'short of the mark' from a biblical historical perspective.

( Generally we use the term innocently, and without malice, but that is not the point and not an excuse)

Yes it is true the L-rd came down strongly many times against SOME of the Pharisees, and against SOME of their practices and traditions...but I believe it was in the context of caring for them, and needing to strongly correct some of them and expose their weaknesses, as they were meant to be teachers and an example to others. It is a bit like a Father teaching a bunch of kids, amongst whom his own son is also being taught...there is often no partiality shown, and in fact a Father might deal a bit harsher with his own son if he is out of order.

Many writers believe Jesus emerged from within the ranks of the Pharisees, and was brought up in their ways. Being a Pharisee was not synonomous with being a hypocrite, a liar, proud, hearers of the Word but not doers....by and large they were devoted people who loved the Law and sought to live godly lives...but just like lots of religious institutions today, some at the top had gone bad, and were also very politically motivated, and eaten up with jealousy when the upstart Jesus drew the people to Himself.

Paul was a Pharisee of the Pharisee's and describes his life as a Pharisee being in perfect conformity to the Law...other leading Pharisees spoke out against some of the harsh judgmental views of their brethren, including Nicodemus and Gamaliel, and many from within the ranks of the Pharisees were thought to have believed in their Messiah.

The derogatory term 'pharisaical' to describe 'hypocrites and legalists' is an unnecessary way of preserving a wall of partition between Gentile and Jew, and IMO is something we as Believers in the Jewish Messiah should endeavour to kick into touch...especially as I think it has the lingering essence of subtle anti-Semitism clinging to it.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

I would like to try and reiterate a point that comes up from time to time and I think needs addressing:-

JCISGD....Did Jesus ever call someone a legalist ? The Pharisee`s were called hypocrites, vipers, hard hearted, blind and other discriptions? but where does the term "Legalism" originate from?

Openly Curious Yes, I believe there are legalist out there who boldly hold onto their belief in legalism. I do believe they are the Pharisee's of our day exalting the "legalism" doctrine high above others to show themselves more holy than others. And I believe those who hold onto the false doctrine are wiggling, twisting to keep from obeying God. Apearing that they are worshipping God in spirit and truth but inside they are dead man's bones.

KCO2 Legalism concerns the Mosaic Law. The Pharisees were the epitome of legalists. They accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath by healing or eating ... and so on. Their accusations were never ending.

I think it gives the wrong impression when we use the Pharisees purely in a negative light, and is also 'short of the mark' from a biblical historical perspective.

( Generally we use the term innocently, and without malice, but that is not the point and not an excuse)

Yes it is true the L-rd came down strongly many times against SOME of the Pharisees, and against SOME of their practices and traditions...but I believe it was in the context of caring for them, and needing to strongly correct some of them and expose their weaknesses, as they were meant to be teachers and an example to others. It is a bit like a Father teaching a bunch of kids, amongst whom his own son is also being taught...there is often no partiality shown, and in fact a Father might deal a bit harsher with his own son if he is out of order.

Many writers believe Jesus emerged from within the ranks of the Pharisees, and was brought up in their ways. Being a Pharisee was not synonomous with being a hypocrite, a liar, proud, hearers of the Word but not doers....by and large they were devoted people who loved the Law and sought to live godly lives...but just like lots of religious institutions today, some at the top had gone bad, and were also very politically motivated, and eaten up with jealousy when the upstart Jesus drew the people to Himself.

Paul was a Pharisee of the Pharisee's and describes his life as a Pharisee being in perfect conformity to the Law...other leading Pharisees spoke out against some of the harsh judgmental views of their brethren, including Nicodemus and Gamaliel, and many from within the ranks of the Pharisees were thought to have believed in their Messiah.

The derogatory term 'pharisaical' to describe 'hypocrites and legalists' is an unnecessary way of preserving a wall of partition between Gentile and Jew, and IMO is something we as Believers in the Jewish Messiah should endeavour to kick into touch...especially as I think it has the lingering essence of subtle anti-Semitism clinging to it.

Point taken i will be more careful to speak of the "some Pharisee`s" rather than lumping them all in together which is wrong.

Jesus did warn about the "yeast of the Pharisee`s" though.

I dont think its got any anti- Semitism, as we are only speaking of a group of Jews and not all Jews. Likewise it would be wrong to call me anti-American because i spoke against the KKK.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

I generally agree with you that Pharisees get a bad rap today. If I remember correctly, a Jew had to be able to recite the books of Moses before they would even be considered. Some of them would not give aid to an infant or "relieve themselves" on the Sabbath. Were they overdoing it? Oh yes. Were they looked up to? Yes.

(Matt 5:20 [KJV])

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed [the righteousness] of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

The first century hearers must have said, "If the Pharisees aren't going to heaven, nobody is going to heaven." Jesus wasn't saying the Pharisees were bad people, Jesus was saying that from now on out, you have to be born again and you have to believe in Me.

I still say the Pharisees were the epitome of legalism. They had their belly full of religious doctrines, could recite the Torah and lived a good life, but how many of them recognized the God that stood before them, they were supposed to be serving?