• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

whats the baptism in the holy spirit?
This is the infilling of His Spirit when you receive your gift. This is different then when we are saved.

is it our spirits are baptized?
yes

and why?
see above

and what happens to our soul?
If anything happens, it becomes purer.

when we are baptized in this way? is it after you get saved?
Yes. The Holy Spirit can not dwell in an unsaved person.

memorykeeper

Hope this answers your questions. If you do a search on the Holy Spirit, I am sure you will find many threads that will answer more questions and explain the thoughts of many. :taped:

God Bless,

Alan

References, please.

We can look at many scriptures, but this one is the most direct.

Acts 8:14-17

Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

This scripture tells us that they accepted the word of salvation and were baptized, yet they had not received the Holy Spirit yet. So they laid hands on them and they received the Holy Spirit. These are two different instances.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,309
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

well i asked because i am not sure if i have it or not plus there seems to be two opinions here. i guess i would know if i had it since it seems to be an experience which stands out.

memory

If you are not an emotional person it might not stand out. Being filled with the Holy Spirit is not some kind of a head rush. If you don't have trouble "NOT" sinning, you most have the Holy Spirit within you guiding you in your dailylife. If you struggle with sin, there may be a problem. Personally I have not had the urge to break one of the ten commandments for so long I don't remember.

I do have a bit of trouble with the loving my neighbor when that neighbor wants to cut my head off...... and the Spirit and I are working on that..... and that's what it's all about; you and God working through things together. If you are not recgonizing things and working through them with Him, then you might have something to think about....... and if you are not, I'd be on my knees asking for Him to come in and help.

I agree with OneLight, except that I believe that the Holy Spirit enters you at the moment of Salvation.

"Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let everyone of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."' (Acts 2:38)

At the time of salvation, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within. For example, the risen Christ breathed on the disciples and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:22). At Pentecost, there came about a later experience of the disciples being baptized in the Holy Spirit, primarily for ministry in the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5-8 and 2:4). Two separate experiences: one for enlivening by the Holy Spirit for salvation; the other for empowering by the Holy Spirit. We need both!

One receives the

I agree with OneLight, except that I believe that the Holy Spirit enters you at the moment of Salvation.

"Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let everyone of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."' (Acts 2:38)

At the time of salvation, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within. For example, the risen Christ breathed on the disciples and said, "Receive the Holy Spirit" (John 20:22). At Pentecost, there came about a later experience of the disciples being baptized in the Holy Spirit, primarily for ministry in the power of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:5-8 and 2:4). Two separate experiences: one for enlivening by the Holy Spirit for salvation; the other for empowering by the Holy Spirit. We need both!

One receives the

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1971

In Acts 8 Luke is referring to the singular gifts of the Spirit given to only a few at the beginning of the gospel age to confirm the gospel message, e.g., speaking with different tongues, prophesying, etc. This "gift" was given to others when the apostles "laid they their hands on them". This is not a reference to the "gift of the Holy Spirit" that ALL believers receive at the point of conversion.

Sir, can you supply any references to these claims? This position would seem to be impossible to defend.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

When one accepts Jesus as their own personal Saviour, the Holy Spirit comes in and dwells in that person. Fantastic!

But there is another time in one's walk with Christ where one comes to the point of submitting everything to His dominion and power, and that is when the Holy Spirit comes in and empowers us and gifts us in a new and powerful way--that is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Often there is a manifestation that it is occurring. Often we will speak with tongues, which is the most easily detected sign that the baptism is occurring, or some will feel faint, or feel exhilarated, and some will feel nothing. It isn't about what we feel, but that is a barometer of the fact that we have experienced the baptism. The important indicator is what happens after--we begin to see changes in the outcome of our works--we see power in our ability to do them, we see a tendency to certain kinds of activity, and successful results, which all point to a new power within us to do the will of God and to perform in certain gifts.

I disagree. Simon was seeing the laying on of hand and the receiving of the Holy Spirit by the Apostles as something he could buy.

What is it you are disagreeing with? I have stated we receive the “gift of the Holy Spirit” and our sins are “remitted by the blood of Christ” when we “obey from the heart” the gospel of Jesus Christ. This obedience includes believing and confessing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. It includes repentance of our past sins and we are to be baptized (immersed in water) in accordance with the command of our Lord (Mark 16:16). Are we on the same page or is this part of our disagreement? I have stated that ALL believers receive the “gift of the Holy Spirit” at the point of conversion. Do you agree? And I have also stated the singular gifts of the Spirit e.g., speaking with different tongues, prophesying, etc. were not given to ALL of the disciples but only to some. These particular gifts were given when the apostles “laid they their hands on them”. Is this where we disagree?

Your post stated the following:

In Acts 8 Luke is referring to the singular gifts of the Spirit given to only a few at the beginning of the gospel age to confirm the gospel message, e.g., speaking with different tongues, prophesying, etc. This “gift” was given to others when the apostles “laid they their hands on them”. This is not a reference to the “gift of the Holy Spirit” that ALL believers receive at the point of conversion.

It sounded like you were saying that receiving the Holy Spirit upon salvation was the same as being baptized in the Holy Spirit. It appears that I misread what you were saying. I apologize. :emot-hug:

I don't agree that only some received the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I cannot find anywhere in scripture where it says that. Can you enlighten me?

It sounded like you were saying that receiving the Holy Spirit upon salvation was the same as being baptized in the Holy Spirit. It appears that I misread what you were saying. I apologize.

My apologies if my point was not clear. :noidea:

I don't agree that only some received the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I cannot find anywhere in scripture where it says that. Can you enlighten me?

And conversely - i see nothing in Holy Writ that says ALL will speak in tongues.

Yes the Spirit gave gifts as He willed which is nothing I have ever disagreed with. Where does it say miraculous gifts will continue until the Lord

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

"That which is perfect" is referring to Jesus Christ, and when His Kingdom comes. It does not refer to the bible. when the Kingdom comes, we won't need any of the gifts that are given us to build the Church, for the Church will already be complete and will already be functioning in such a way as the gifts would be REDUNDANT.