Matthitjah

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  3

I believe it to be the interactions between God and man as man submits humbly to the teachings and chastisements of the Lord. It is that action the Lord takes with a believer, not because one is more loved or cherished, but because of Gods economy that was put in place even before our birth, as one comes into agreement with His ways. That close interaction is - imo - the favor.

David received great favor of the Lord because he repented, and learned from his mistakes. He did this with a heart for God, and not out of duty. That "favor" that David received, in my opinion, was a direct response from the Lord, and resulted in the close relationship that he had with the Father - the resulting weaving of his life that placed him in positions to have influence for the kingdom.

Again - just my thoughts. :24:

Ah' Beauty and Favor. :)

So you might say that it was the very presence of the Lord?

Peace,

Dave

Well - yes and no Dave. Again, my opinion. You like real life scenarios, so how bout this?

Let's say you have a company, and have several employees. One particular employee stands out because he always arrives on time, he's a very happy worker, and he completes all his assignments on time. You also have another worker, who shows up late a lot, and is normally surly and often shirks works. They both have the attention of management, but for different reasons.

Based on that scenario, who is more likely to get the next promotion, that comes with added responsibilities? It will be the one that bears the responsibilities of what he already does.

Most likely he wont get those merit raises or promotions because he's liked more - but because he does the job he was hired to do in the first place.

Believers are like those workers. Some apply their lives of servitude to the Lord out of duty. Punching that clock because you have to do it to slide by. Others, however, do it happily, accepting responsibility with pleasure simply because of a heart that overflows with joy of the Lord. We're already supposed to be walking upright, and in righteous. We're already supposed to be trying to live sinless lives. We're already supposed to be holy. But, how many really do that? and of those, how many do it out of love?

When i was a kid I got into trouble a lot. I know that shocks you. :) Most of the time the arguing and confrontations between me and my folks ended ugly and unproductive, with me stomping off to my room and my world. There were times, however, when my parents made me see not only that what I did was wrong, but why it was so. On those rare occasions, I came into agreement with them that what I had done was wrong, but more importantly, that I deserved my punishment. When I walked away from those meetings, it was with a mutual understanding that I was wrong, but had learned a valuable lesson. My folks reacted quite differently to the situation during those moments, because they understood that I was in agreement with them. In those instances, I gained a bit of trust from them on that particular offense, because they knew I matured on that subject. It also allowed them the privilege, as a parent, to burdon me with a bit more responsibility.

So - would it be reasonable to say that favor means 'pleased or "satisfied?" I dont think so. I think it simply means the Lord sees our heart is turned towards Him for that moment, and we walk in agreement at that time.

Again - my opinion.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Days Won:  19

I believe it to be the interactions between God and man as man submits humbly to the teachings and chastisements of the Lord. It is that action the Lord takes with a believer, not because one is more loved or cherished, but because of Gods economy that was put in place even before our birth, as one comes into agreement with His ways. That close interaction is - imo - the favor.

David received great favor of the Lord because he repented, and learned from his mistakes. He did this with a heart for God, and not out of duty. That "favor" that David received, in my opinion, was a direct response from the Lord, and resulted in the close relationship that he had with the Father - the resulting weaving of his life that placed him in positions to have influence for the kingdom.

Again - just my thoughts. :)

Ah' Beauty and Favor. :)

So you might say that it was the very presence of the Lord?

Peace,

Dave

Well - yes and no Dave. Again, my opinion. You like real life scenarios, so how bout this?

Let's say you have a company, and have several employees. One particular employee stands out because he always arrives on time, he's a very happy worker, and he completes all his assignments on time. You also have another worker, who shows up late a lot, and is normally surly and often shirks works. They both have the attention of management, but for different reasons.

Based on that scenario, who is more likely to get the next promotion, that comes with added responsibilities? It will be the one that bears the responsibilities of what he already does.

Most likely he wont get those merit raises or promotions because he's liked more - but because he does the job he was hired to do in the first place.

Believers are like those workers. Some apply their lives of servitude to the Lord out of duty. Punching that clock because you have to do it to slide by. Others, however, do it happily, accepting responsibility with pleasure simply because of a heart that overflows with joy of the Lord. We're already supposed to be walking upright, and in righteous. We're already supposed to be trying to live sinless lives. We're already supposed to be holy. But, how many really do that? and of those, how many do it out of love?

When i was a kid I got into trouble a lot. I know that shocks you. :) Most of the time the arguing and confrontations between me and my folks ended ugly and unproductive, with me stomping off to my room and my world. There were times, however, when my parents made me see not only that what I did was wrong, but why it was so. On those rare occasions, I came into agreement with them that what I had done was wrong, but more importantly, that I deserved my punishment. When I walked away from those meetings, it was with a mutual understanding that I was wrong, but had learned a valuable lesson. My folks reacted quite differently to the situation during those moments, because they understood that I was in agreement with them. In those instances, I gained a bit of trust from them on that particular offense, because they knew I matured on that subject. It also allowed them the privilege, as a parent, to burdon me with a bit more responsibility.

So - would it be reasonable to say that favor means 'pleased or "satisfied?" I dont think so. I think it simply means the Lord sees our heart is turned towards Him for that moment, and we walk in agreement at that time.

Again - my opinion.

Exactly my point though and we are thinking along the same lines. I see things black and white, there are no gray areas for me, this often causes communication problems with my wife and one of my children who see the tree's individually instead of the forest. :31::52_52: One of my other children understands me completely because she see's the forest too.

Those who have the favor or the beauty of the Lord upon them are those who dwell with the Lord;

Ps

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  3

Exactly my point though and we are thinking along the same lines. I see things black and white, there are no gray areas for me, this often causes communication problems with my wife and one of my children who see the tree's individually instead of the forest. :blink::( One of my other children understands me completely because she see's the forest too.

Those who have the favor or the beauty of the Lord upon them are those who dwell with the Lord;

Dont all believers dwell with the Lord? Doesnt' the Holy Spirit reside within each believer? And if so, why don't they all experience the favor of the Lord?

Also - if it is unmerited, then how come we can lose it?

I'm not talking about works based faith, Brother. I'm talking about a chastised heart, that responds to God with repentance. Favor is not seen among the prideful, or haughty. Nor is it seen among those who knowingly sin. (and many believers are those things) It is seen among the meek, the pure of heart, the righteous. Therefore, is it truly unmerited?

Just tryin to get a handle on it. I know all the big boys call it unmerited favor. But, that doesn't make sense to me anymore.

Trav, You, a trouble maker? Peeeshaw! :b:

:o I was for a fact. Never, ever, talk to my brother. :thumbsup:

Exactly my point though and we are thinking along the same lines. I see things black and white, there are no gray areas for me, this often causes communication problems with my wife and one of my children who see the tree's individually instead of the forest. :blink::( One of my other children understands me completely because she see's the forest too.

Dont all believers dwell with the Lord? Doesnt' the Holy Spirit reside within each believer? And if so, why don't they all experience the favor of the Lord?

Also - if it is unmerited, then how come we can lose it?

I'm not talking about works based faith, Brother. I'm talking about a chastised heart, that responds to God with repentance. Favor is not seen among the prideful, or haughty. Nor is it seen among those who knowingly sin. (and many believers are those things) It is seen among the meek, the pure of heart, the righteous. Therefore, is it truly unmerited?

Just tryin to get a handle on it. I know all the big boys call it unmerited favor. But, that doesn't make sense to me anymore.

Yes, and I believe that Moses knew this all too well as he watched thousands die off in the desert. Not that you were a bad kid but the other part. :5:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,092
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

Yes, and I believe that Moses knew this all too well . . .

Traveller and Moses knew each other?

:blink:

OGO

:(

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

I am so glad this topic came up. I have been studying the beauty of holiness for several weeks now. I found there are two different references to the beauty of holiness. One is reference to the Lords presence and one reference to our becoming holy. There has been a tugging in my spirit to study it out more. Then, when this post appeared I asked the Lord to help me understand the verse in question concerning favor. There was no way to grasp that without reading the entire Psalm 90 and then seeking the Lord on the subject. I actually said to Him, Lord, I don't want to just post my "opinion". Help me know what to say. I was tickled at what His reply was at first. It was in essence, "You have been given My Spirit, so your opinion now lines up with Me."

I then wrote this below:

"Because of the scriptures that led up to this one I would say in this passage favor could be viewed as loving mercy to a people that desire to be in the centered in the beauty of holiness. Those of us who have been corrected by the Lord know the joy of His great mercy and the fruit that follows in our lives as we desire to know Him in the beauty of holiness."

However, I wanted to run it by the Bible first, before I posted it, so I looked up Psalm 90:17 in several different versions of the Bible. Then, I went to Matthew Henry's Commentary and much to my joy it bore witness to what I wrote. I especially like what his commentary had to say in closing on the subject.

" Instead of wasting our precious, fleeting days in pursuing fancies, which leave the possessors for ever poor, let us seek the forgiveness of sins, and an inheritance in heaven. Let us pray that the work of the Holy Spirit may appear in converting our hearts, and that the beauty of holiness may be seen in our conduct."

I am so glad this topic came up. I have been studying the beauty of holiness for several weeks now. I found there are two different references to the beauty of holiness. One is reference to the Lords presence and one reference to our becoming holy. There has been a tugging in my spirit to study it out more. Then, when this post appeared I asked the Lord to help me understand the verse in question concerning favor. There was no way to grasp that without reading the entire Psalm 90 and then seeking the Lord on the subject. I actually said to Him, Lord, I don't want to just post my "opinion". Help me know what to say. I was tickled at what His reply was at first. It was in essence, "You have been given My Spirit, so your opinion now lines up with Me."

I then wrote this below:

"Because of the scriptures that led up to this one I would say in this passage favor could be viewed as loving mercy to a people that desire to be in the centered in the beauty of holiness. Those of us who have been corrected by the Lord know the joy of His great mercy and the fruit that follows in our lives as we desire to know Him in the beauty of holiness."

However, I wanted to run it by the Bible first, before I posted it, so I looked up Psalm 90:17 in several different versions of the Bible. Then, I went to Matthew Henry's Commentary and much to my joy it bore witness to what I wrote. I especially like what his commentary had to say in closing on the subject.

" Instead of wasting our precious, fleeting days in pursuing fancies, which leave the possessors for ever poor, let us seek the forgiveness of sins, and an inheritance in heaven. Let us pray that the work of the Holy Spirit may appear in converting our hearts, and that the beauty of holiness may be seen in our conduct."

Brother God is Faithful and you have written more than a mouthful. :emot-LOL: Thanks, this is what I was looking for. :)

• Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Grace to you,

Ps 90:17

And let the favor of the LORD our God be upon us: and establish you the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish it.

What is this favor of the Lord?

Peace,

Dave

Proverbs 12:2--A "good man" obtaineth "favor" of the Lord: but a man of wicked devices will be condemn.

Hebrews 11:6--But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that "he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

The favor of the Lord is his blessings in our life as the Lord will reward those who diligently seek him. If we seek the kingdom of God and his righteousness then all these things will be added to us as he is our provider. Matthew 6:33 God will reward us if we seek him

A reward is something you get for good behaviour. This being the blessings of God.

oc