JCMS

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

Psalm 22: 18They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

Passage Matthew 27:35:

35And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

Passage Luke 23:34:

34Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

hope this helped you to see a little of why the Lord would make reference to this Psalm

there is so much more to this Psalm it is really worth taking the time to study.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Hi all, hope I have this in the right area. If not, please forgive me in advance.

I'm extremely curious as to the meaning of Matthew 27:46.

Matthew 27:46:

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

I don't understand this verse, for many reasons. 1, being that Jesus is supposed to not only be the son of God, but God himself. If he is God himself, why is he calling out to God? Isn't that an indication that the two are separate?

And secondly, Jesus coming to earth was to fulfill prophecy written in the OT. Jesus knew what his mission was on this earth, and the future events that would take place. Why did he feel that he was being forsaken by God?

That whole verse throws me off, or am I reading it completely out of context?

High there! Here is an excellent short video that explains it. I love it so much that I have to share it with everyone. It will explain why Jesus said that

Gospel Presentation with 2 Crosses

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

<snip> The answer is that all these things were said and done of God for "man's benefit." He wasn't complaining as an eternal example of His own unusually weak (for God's people) fortitude or His delicate nature, or His frail humanity. He said these things as a reference key for us to unlock the words of the prophets and the psalms that spoke of these things. Christ is revealing to us by these comments that "He" was the God-Man prophesied to come as the Saviour of Israel. In other words, God is exhorting His people to search the scriptures and compare scripture with scripture. And therein we will "see" what these words He spoke signifies and pertains to.

Psalms 22:1

* ..My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?"

When Christ called out to God in this manner, clearly He was consciously quoting this Psalm as an illustration to all that would come after, that He was fulfilling this Old Testament prophecy. This is the key to understanding why the Lord would say this. Jesus Christ, as the living "Word of God" in the flesh, is the application of God's revealed will concerning the atonement for sin by the wrath of God poured out upon man. And His question in Psalms 22:1 of, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me," is answered in Psalms 22:3.

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/why_...rsaken_me.shtml

Along with that, someone pointed out that the Jews all knew the Scriptures, as they were taught to memorize them from childhood. It was common for a rabbi to refer to an entire passage by only quoting the first line, for the listeners already knew the rest.

Thus, Jesus, who was a rabbi (that's what "teacher" means), quoted the first line of the psalm, which the Jews would recognize, and then recall the rest.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

Hi all, hope I have this in the right area. If not, please forgive me in advance.

And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

I don't understand this verse, for many reasons. 1, being that Jesus is supposed to not only be the son of God, but God himself. If he is God himself, why is he calling out to God? Isn't that an indication that the two are separate?

And secondly, Jesus coming to earth was to fulfill prophecy written in the OT. Jesus knew what his mission was on this earth, and the future events that would take place. Why did he feel that he was being forsaken by God?

High there! Here is an excellent short video that explains it. I love it so much that I have to share it with everyone. It will explain why Jesus said that

Thanks for that video, Blien . It confirms what I said. Jesus "became sin for us." Isaiah 53

Blessings,

Nikki

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,773
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  12/27/1957

This is the time when all the sin of the world was placed on JESUS. It is difficult to understand the truth of JESUS being GOD and yet GOD and JESUS being separate at this point. But, it is one of the mysteries. The flesh and blood man, JESUS of Nazareth, and the GODhead of JESUS should be considered as two separate persons of the trinity. Even then, it is a muddled principal to comprehend.

It is at this time that GOD the FATHER stopped communicating with JESUS and turned HIS back to HIS son. The HOLY SPIRIT no longer is maintaining that constant link, and JESUS is left in HIS agony and pain and despair. HE is feeling the separation that represents the truth of what hell is. Complete separation and utter death. It is what must be suffered to fulfill the punishment for sin.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

<snip> The answer is that all these things were said and done of God for "man's benefit." He wasn't complaining as an eternal example of His own unusually weak (for God's people) fortitude or His delicate nature, or His frail humanity. He said these things as a reference key for us to unlock the words of the prophets and the psalms that spoke of these things. Christ is revealing to us by these comments that "He" was the God-Man prophesied to come as the Saviour of Israel. In other words, God is exhorting His people to search the scriptures and compare scripture with scripture. And therein we will "see" what these words He spoke signifies and pertains to.

Psalms 22:1

* ..My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?"

When Christ called out to God in this manner, clearly He was consciously quoting this Psalm as an illustration to all that would come after, that He was fulfilling this Old Testament prophecy. This is the key to understanding why the Lord would say this. Jesus Christ, as the living "Word of God" in the flesh, is the application of God's revealed will concerning the atonement for sin by the wrath of God poured out upon man. And His question in Psalms 22:1 of, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me," is answered in Psalms 22:3.

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/why_...rsaken_me.shtml

Along with that, someone pointed out that the Jews all knew the Scriptures, as they were taught to memorize them from childhood. It was common for a rabbi to refer to an entire passage by only quoting the first line, for the listeners already knew the rest.

Thus, Jesus, who was a rabbi (that's what "teacher" means), quoted the first line of the psalm, which the Jews would recognize, and then recall the rest.

Yes Neb - that is correct. He would have had to say no more than the first line.... Isn't that amazing? The sinless Jesus was a perfect sacrifice.

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

Thanks for that video, Blien . It confirms what I said. Jesus "became sin for us." Isaiah 53

Blessings,

Nikki

:rolleyes:

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

Forgive the length, but I addressed this several years ago here . . .

Actually, it is only in their context that those words have importance -

2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

The words “My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me” are David’s words at the intro of a prophetic Psalm. Now, a simple question, there were times when David felt forsaken of God . . . but was he?

Also, the phrase “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me” is a question in its structure, but that alone does not mean when Jesus was asking a question when He said it them. It is interesting also to note that this is the only time when Jesus prayed that he did not say “Father.”

At the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, the pinnacle event of all eternity, there were a host of different people there people there.

1. Mt 27:38 Then
two thieves
were crucified with Him, one off the right, one off the left

2. Mt 27:39 And
those who passed
by blasphemed Him, shaking their heads.

3. Mt 27:41 And in the same way also
the chief priests
mocked,
with the scribes and elders

4. Mt 27:54 But
the centurion and those guarding
Jesus

5. Mt 27:55 And
many of the women
were there . . .
who had followed Jesus

Now, I mention this because Jesus said several things while on the cross, each with a specific purpose. One of the first things Jesus said was “ Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.”

Now some think this was blanket statement for the masses there, but it wasn’t. It was clearly for those who did “not know what they do.”

Lu 23:34 And Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do. And parting His clothing, they cast lots.

See, those words were spoken concerning those who actually crucified Jesus and then cast losts for His garments.

Matt 27:35 And they crucified Him, dividing His garments, casting a lot; so that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, "They parted My garments among them, and they cast a lot for My clothing."

36 And sitting down they guarded Him there.

37 And they put up over His head His accusation, written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

John19:23 Then when they had crucified Jesus, the soldiers took His garments and made four parts, one part to each soldier; and also His tunic. And the tunic was without seam, woven from the top throughout.

See the soldiers did not know who Jesus was . . . or exactly why they were crucifying Him. They were simply following orders. But not so with the Jews or their leaders -

John 3:1 And there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews.

2 He came to Jesus by night and said to Him, Rabbi,
we know that You are a teacher come from God
; for no man can do these miracles which You do unless God is with Him.

John 7:40 Then when they heard the Word, many of the people said,
Truly this is the Prophet

Others said, This is the Christ
. But others said, Does the Christ come out of Galilee?

42 Has the Scripture not said that Christ comes from the seed of David and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?

43 So a division occurred in the crowd because of Him.

John 9:16 Therefore some of the Pharisees said, This man is not from God, because he does not keep the sabbath.
Others said, How can a man, a sinner do such miracles?
And there was a division among them.

John 12:42 Nevertheless
among the chief rulers also many believed on Him
; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue

It is clear from the scriptures that many of the religious leaders knew Jesus had to be of God, yet they loved the praise of men more than God and therefore sought to destroy Jesus -

Mt 26:4 And they consulted so that they might take Jesus by guile and kill Him.

Lu 20:14 But when the vinedressers saw him, they reasoned among themselves, saying, This is the heir! Come, let us kill him so that the inheritance may be ours.

15 So they threw him out of the vineyard and killed him. . .

They knew what they did and why they were did it . . . “that the inheritance may be ours.”

Therefore, Jesus wasn’t asking the Father to forgive His false accusers or those who had instigated His crucifixion, rather those who were obliged by orders to carry it out . . . the Romans.

1Co 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Concerning the Jews present there, the Pharisees, the scribes and all the elders, they knew the scriptures intimately . . . just not what they really meant.

John 5:39
Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and
they are they which testify of Me.

40 And ye will not come to Be, that ye might have life.

41 I receive not honour from men.

42 But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.

43 I am come in My Father's name, and ye receive Me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?

45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.

46 For
had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed Me: for he wrote of Me

47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe My words?

Therefore, because the Jews so knew the written word so well, it was them that Jesus addressed when He said, “My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?” The text book of the Jew was the Holy Word of God. It was their history book, their judicial book for moral and civil laws of the land, their spiritual guidelines for worship and service unto God, and even their hymnal. They knew the O.T. scriptures very well . . . right down to every “jot and tittle.”

It wasn't a question that Jesus was crying out to the Father, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” Rather a purposeful quote from the opening words to Psalm 22, a prophetic Messianic psalm of David.

Every Pharisee, scribe and elder there would have straightway thought of that psalm in its entirety . . . and would have been pierced “even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

They therewith were made naked in heart and mind before God for the very thing happening now before their eyes. Had Jesus “not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloke for their sin, “ (John 15:22).

Prayerfully consider these select parts of the psalm with other scriptures . . .

Ps 22: 6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

7 All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,

8 He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him.

Mt 27:39 And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads,

40 And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.

41 Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said,

42 He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.

43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.

Lu 23:35 And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God.

Mr 15:29 And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,

30 Save thyself, and come down from the cross.

31 Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.

32 Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.

Psalm 22:12 Many bulls have compassed me: strong bulls of Bashan have beset me round.

13 They gaped upon me with their mouths, as a ravening and a roaring lion.

14 I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint: my heart is like wax; it is melted in the midst of my bowels.

15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd; and my tongue cleaveth to my jaws; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.

16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

Mt 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

36 And sitting down they watched him there

Mr 15:24 And when they had crucified him, they parted his garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take.

29 And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,

30 Save thyself, and come down from the cross.

31 Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.

32 Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.

Lu 23:35 And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God.

Psalm 22:22 I will declare Thy name unto My brethren: in the midst of the congregation will I praise Thee.

Mt 26:30 And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.

John 17:6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.

26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Ps 22:26 The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the LORD that seek him: your heart shall live for ever.

All the ends of the world shall remember
[what took place at Calvary] and turn unto the LORD: and all the kindreds of the nations [the Gentiles] shall worship before Thee.

28 For the kingdom is the LORD'S: and He is the governor among the nations.

29 All they that be fat upon earth shall eat and worship: all they that go down to the dust
shall bow before him: and none can keep alive His own soul.

Joh 10:18 No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father

Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

30 A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

31 They shall come, and shall declare his righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that he hath done this.

Psalm 22:30 A seed shall serve Him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

31 They shall come, and shall declare His righteousness unto a people that shall be born, that He hath done this.

1Pe 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

Ro 3:21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Summary- Jesus wasn’t crying out “Why!?” because God had forsaken Him, He was directing the hearts and minds of those Jews who knew the scriptures to that Psalm which was a verbal picture of what was going on at the moment . . . that they may hear and believe and repent and be saved.

Jesus was ministering . . . not praying.

• Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

blessings JamiLea,

no debates here sis BlindSeeker was just adding his own perspection to what was already posted by a few of us :rolleyes:

i think you probly would be helped by studying what the trinity is to try and understand a bit about God being One yet Three. its a hard concept to grasp and i do not think it will be entirely understood this side of heaven but researching that term should help you.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

One GodHead

three disctinct parts

the Father

the Son

the Holy Spirit

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  5

Yah I don't get that either just like why is Jesus sitting at the right hand of God in Heaven if they are one?

My husband just said that in Heaven, they are 1. On earth, they are 2 because Jesus is flesh. He came down here as Jesus because God couldn't come down Himself because He can not be present where sin is? Also to leave us an example of Him and His ways and all the things that Jesus was, is and is to come could not be unless He is God. :rolleyes:

The phrase right hand implies direction, to the right side, but that is not necessarily the intent of the phrase by those who used in Holy Writ. To them it is more positional as seen in Stephen