• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Anyone know the nursery rhyme - Ring a ring a Rosie's ... a pocket full of posies....achoo, achoo, we all fall down?

The bubonic plague caused rings on the skin (rosy red rings), people thought flowers (posies) could protect them. The sneezing was a sign that one had the plague.

Hence, God Bless you when someone sneezed. It was a blessing, and not taken lightly. But times have changed and the saying remains, as does the nursery rhyme.

I think it is Ok to say it to someone who has sneezed if you want to. Hey, if someone truly wanted to Bless me every time I sneezed, I would go around inhaling pepper all the time :whistling:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Anyone know the nursery rhyme - Ring a ring a Rosie's ... a pocket full of posies....achoo, achoo, we all fall down?

The bubonic plague caused rings on the skin (rosy red rings), people thought flowers (posies) could protect them. The sneezing was a sign that one had the plague.

Hence, God Bless you when someone sneezed. It was a blessing, and not taken lightly. But times have changed and the saying remains, as does the nursery rhyme.

I think it is Ok to say it to someone who has sneezed if you want to. Hey, if someone truly wanted to Bless me every time I sneezed, I would go around inhaling pepper all the time :laugh:

That's interesting Fez I guess there is all kinds of ideas surrounding the God bless you after sneezing. It comes so natural for us to say it, we just automatically do it without any thought. I don't think it's wrong to bless someone after they sneeze.

Hey bring on the pepper :whistling:

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I believe saying Oh my God is minimalizing the majesty of our Lord, however, I don't believe that "God" is actually His name.

What do you believe is His name exactly?

Daddy?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

JamiLea,

That is a excellent question to ask. I noticed the same thing myself but I just wrote it off as I was misreading it. :emot-fail:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

Exodus 3:15

Moreover God said to Moses,

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  566
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/08/1985

Not sure how I feel on that

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  97
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  06/09/1964

I've been studying this lately, and someone told me basically that the meaning of "to take in vain" means to mock, to belittle, to disreguard the importance of, or to make unworthy or make untrue.....they were referring to taking the Lord's name in vain by not saying it correctly....as in saying "God" instead of "Yahweh", or "Jesus" instead of Yeshua or the other pronunciations.

Personally, I think that it does take His name in vain when people say "OMG" or other exclamations that use His name. I don't say any of it-I say "Oh my goodness!" lol

As far as sneezing, to be on the safe side, I'd rather say "May God bless you!" rather than just "God bless you" because it just sounds less...demanding I guess the word is I'm trying to think of.

Kind of like how I think Paul ended some of his letters by saying something like "May the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ keep you safe" instead of just saying something flippant like "God'll keep ya safe!" It sounds disrespectful I think. Just my opinion though-it may be Ok.

i say oh my goodness a lot too. or oh my gosh. i say both.

after a sneeze, i just say "bless you". i don't know why, but i have a hard time saying "God bless you" under any circumstances. i don't know why, it just feels awkward to say it... and that bothers me, because i suspect society has brainwashed me into dropping the word God from the phrase. i may just have to start making an effort to put God back in my blessings!

hey saved, your last part... "God'll keep ya safe"... i've never heard anyone say that! i suppose it's along the line of "Godspeed" or something. maybe not. what the heck does Godspeed mean, anyway? i never understood that word.

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952