• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

Taken from another thread:

In Scripture, sexual relations between two people is considered marriage, as I understand it.

Sadly, I confess that my husband was not the first person I had intercourse with. In fact, there wasn't just one, there were several. It disgusts me looking back. I have since sincerely asked the Lord for forgiveness and repented. My question is: If the above statement is true, is my current marriage (1st) not legitimate to God?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

No, sex does not mean you are married to someone. Adultery is the act of having sex with someone who is married, and if you are married to everyone you have sexual relations with, then there would be no adultery.

Guest HolyGrenadeFrenzy

Actually the opposite is true.

This relationship and relations are the only relations that are legitimate with God and not vice versa.

Meaning the other relations were sinful and these relations are proper.

The sacrament of marriage is far more than just sexual relations.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  895
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1

No, sex does not mean you are married to someone. Adultery is the act of having sex with someone who is married, and if you are married to everyone you have sexual relations with, then there would be no adultery.

Aman! is it true that the giving of rings is a catholic thing?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

No, sex does not constitute Marriage.

Marriage is a Covenant instituted by God in which sexual relations have the Higher Goal of rearing Godly offspring and the enjoyment of ones spouse. He who findeth a wife, findeth a good thing. :noidea:

Sex outside of Marriage is not Just in Gods sight.

Peace,

Dave

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I have no idea where the practice started.

• Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

Whew. So we're legitimate. :noidea:

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

I have no idea where the practice started.

One explanation....

The Wedding Ring

The marriage ring represents a promise for eternal and everlasting love. It is a representation of the promises joining both the bride and groom together. The wedding ring is placed on the fourth finger of the left hand because it was traditionally believed that this finger was a direct connection to the heart---the perfect place to place a symbol, representing eternal love and commitment.

The circular shape of the wedding ring has symbolized undying, unending love since the days of the early Egyptians. A primitive bride wore a ring of hemp or rushes, which had to be replaced often. Durable iron was used by the Romans to symbolize the permanence of marriage. Today's favorite is of course, gold, with it's lasting qualities of beauty and purity.

In ancient times, when life was much harder and oftentimes shorter, husbands practiced a superstitious ritual to ensure their wives spirits wouldn't leave too soon. The husband would wrap the bride's ankles and wrists with ropes of grass believing this would keep here spirit within her. Over the years, as religious beliefs evolved, the meaning (and material) of the bonds evolved as well. Today, brides thankfully don't bind their wrists and ankles, only their ring fingers, and grooms have adopted the practice as well. The grass gave way first to leather, then stone, then metal, and finally, to gold and silver. Today, the rings symbolize the love and bond between husband and wife.

http://www.gagirl.com/wedding/wedding5.html

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/08/1964

Sadly, I confess that my husband was not the first person I had intercourse with. In fact, there wasn't just one, there were several. It disgusts me looking back. I have since sincerely asked the Lord for forgiveness and repented. My question is: If the above statement is true, is my current marriage (1st) not legitimate to God?

Sex outside of being married is called Fornication by God. Sex with someone other than your spouse while married is called Adultery by God. Once you got married and asked for forgiveness and repented of the Fornication and devoted yourself to your husband, you were forgiven of the Fornication. God sees your 1st (and I hope your only) marriage as legitamate. I hope this helps you!! :noidea:

Jime

Guest shiloh357
Taken from another thread:

In Scripture, sexual relations between two people is considered marriage, as I understand it.

That is not true. Sex only consumates a marriage in Scripture.