Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

Rom 12:21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

I think this is a key verse here, its doing just the opposite of what the world expects that grabs their attention and a chance to see Jesus for what he offers. :10:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  78

I think this is a key verse here, its doing just the opposite of what the world expects that grabs their attention and a chance to see Jesus for what he offers. :emot-questioned:

That's an interesting observation, 7thseal. And one I hadn't thought of myself. I believe you're probably right. :rolleyes:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  550
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2

This woman had seriously wronged my wife and I. After she had been kicked out of her house and had no where to go, we were the only ones who offered her a place to stay. While she was in our living room, she asked why we were helping her; because as she said, the way she treated us, she did not deserve our help. We just said it was our duty. I watched her as she stared out the window and knew we had heaped coals of fire on her head. I know that this was the moment that caused her to change her lifestyle. I did this for the wrong reasons though. Partly out of duty but mostly I wanted to heap coals on her head.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.85
  • Days Won:  33

Pro 25:21 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:

Pro 25:22 For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

I have a lot of trouble reading this, it unsettles me.

Are we supposed to desire that our enemy has 'coals of fire upon his head'? I don't have these feelings for my enemies. I know there is one man in my past that has wronged me in a terrible way, and I simply cannot feel those feelings for him. I remember the same reaction when a girl at school gave me a black eye. I just felt a total absence of desire for her to be harmed in return.

:emot-highfive:

It's seems to be a metaphorical (or is that allegorical? :emot-highfive: ) way of saying that this person will:

1. either feel guilty about the way they've treated you and repent in anguish

2. or bring judgment upon themselves for this mistreatment; and you shall be rewarded for trying to show God's righteous love.

Either way works the will of God; which is how to interpret hard passages.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.11
  • Days Won:  115

I agree with Eric. We read in 1 Timothy 4:3 something very similar.

having their own conscience seared with a hot iron

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Rom 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

Rom 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

Rom 12:19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Rom 12:20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.

Pro 25:21 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:

Pro 25:22 For thou shalt heap coals of fire upon his head, and the LORD shall reward thee.

coals of fire strongs.

H1513

גּחלת גּחל

gechel gacheleth

ghe'-khel, gah-kheh'-leth

From an unused root meaning to glow or kindle; an ember: - (burning) coal.

I have heard a few different explanations of "...thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head".Some believe the "coals of fire" is God's fiery vengeance.

Since this passage is about avoiding revenge and showing our enemies love,i believe the "heaping coals " must in some way be of help to them.Maybe by doing good to our enemies these "coals of fire" become a metaphor for pricking their conscience to help them see what is right.This is what i see in practice.

It's not a literal heaping of coals. It's about conviction of wrongdoing.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.47
  • Days Won:  3

I agree with eric too. Just like we've all heard the fire that refines, and is used to purify the metal.

Edited to add - ok I agee with Ovedya as well, who was posting as I was. :thumbsup::emot-highfive: