• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/24/1985

As I go through the Bible again I am faced with many questions. One of the biggest is what explanation is there for the numerous contradictions in the Bible? Not just between the Old and New Testament, but the contradictions within the New Testament itself?

Also, this verse confuses me:

Matthew 16

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples,

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

subscribing. I am interested to see the answers.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Remember, the chapter and verse breaks were placed there after the Bible was written. They don't always come at the best place. Read chapter 17 - which is a continuation of chapter 16.

Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, led them up on a high mountain by themselves; and He was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and His clothes became as white as the light. Matthew 17:1-2

The word "Now" indicates that it is a continuation of the thought from chapter 16. As you study your Bible you might want to look at the commentaries at http://www.blueletterbible.org

Another very good study help is http://www.gotquestions.org. I copied their answer here:

Question: "Was Jesus' statement to the disciples in Luke 9:27 (also Matthew 16:28; Mark 9:1) incorrect?"

Answer: Luke 9:27 says, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God." See also Matthew 16:28 and Mark 9:1 for the parallel quotes. In each of the synoptic Gospels, the next event immediately after this promise from Jesus is the transfiguration. Rather than interpreting Jesus' promise as referring to His coming the establish His kingdom on earth, the context indicates that Jesus was referring to the transfiguration. The Greek word translated

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

As I go through the Bible again I am faced with many questions. One of the biggest is what explanation is there for the numerous contradictions in the Bible? Not just between the Old and New Testament, but the contradictions within the New Testament itself?

Matthew 16

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,595
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

John (writer of Revelations) likely never died, instead was translated, like Enoch, some standing there did not see death.

Peter seeing him saith to Jesus, Lord, and what shall this man do? 22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. 23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?

John 21:21-23 (KJV)

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Actually, I learned from a rabbi that they have a special term for principles that some across as contradictions in the Bible. Unfortunately, I can't remember the word, nor the example he gave. But the way they understand it is that an apparent contradiction actually means there is a deeper truth to discover. It comes in finding reconciliation between them.

(I think we should treat the Calvinism/Armenian debate this way!)

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Matthew 16

Guest shiloh357

Matthew 16

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  519
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  04/28/1980

There is many instances where contridictions seem to be. I dont think that there is any, what can not be explained I believe with faith. I will say on the controversial note, that the bible was inspired by God, yet it was written by humans who are not perfect.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Actually, I learned from a rabbi that they have a special term for principles that some across as contradictions in the Bible. Unfortunately, I can't remember the word, nor the example he gave. But the way they understand it is that an apparent contradiction actually means there is a deeper truth to discover. It comes in finding reconciliation between them.

(I think we should treat the Calvinism/Armenian debate this way!)

You are right. A contradiction is a situation is where an object is A and not A at the same time and in the same respect. Contradictions cannot exist in reality. If I said 1 plus 1 equals 2 then said 1 plus 1 equals 3, I will have created a contradiction. 1 plus 1 will always equal 2. The Bible contains no contradictions. It does however contain paradoxes and mysteries.

A paradox is something that appears to be a contradiction until all the facts are fully known. The classic example of this is the doctrine of the Trinity. Some folks will say that this is an example of a contradiction in the Bible. They point out that the God cannot be one and three at the same time. However, this would only be a contradiction if the doctrine of the Trinity taught that God was one and three at the same time and in the same respect. The doctrine of the Trinity certainly does teach that God is one and three at the same time (otherwise we would have modalism). But it does not teach that God is one and three in the same respect. God is one in His essence (divinity), but three in person. We would have a contradiction if we said that God was one person and three persons. But that is not what the doctrine of the Trinity states. Many heresies arise out of people trying to deal with apparent contradictions and misunderstanding misapplication of the Law of Non-contradiction.

A mystery is something that was not known at one time, but is now known (or will be known). An example of this can be found in Colossians:

I have become its minister, according to God's administration that was given to me for you, to make God's message fully known, the mystery hidden for ages and generations but now revealed to His saints. God wanted to make known to those among the Gentiles the glorious wealth of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. Col 1:25- 27 HCSB)

The initial example given in this thread is really not a contradiction. If in fact Jesus had predicted that some of the folks living at that time had to survive until He came back and they did not, that would not be a contradiction. It would be a falsehood or a mistake (if that is what Jesus meant, but He did not as pointed out above). A contradition would be if Jesus had said some would live until He returned and then had said that none would so live.

You are right that the discussion regarding divine sovereignty and free will fits this perfectly. Scripture maintains 2 truths:

1. That God is completely sovereign over all things

2. That human beings make decision and take actions that are not coerced, have real consequences, and for which God holds them accountable.

Many believe that these 2 things contradict each other (i.e scripture teaches that God is sovereign and is not sovereign, or that humans are free, but they are not free). As a result they have built systems (based on logic) that go farther than scripture goes in an attempt to resolve the contradictons. This has resulted in 2 positions that are unbiblical (Open Theism and Hyper-Calvinism).

However, this duality is not a contradiction. It is a paradox. When one fully understands what the scriptures actually teach, there is no contradiction.