MorningGlory

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Maybe this would make a good addition to the company newsletter....at my company anyway. I sometimes have the urge to run...fast...and find a refuge where speaking isn't permitted! :whistling:

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/artic...orklife_balance

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HIS girl

Oh boy - where do I start!! I have heard more than necessary about hubbies and "friends" of coworkers - things that should never leave the house is heralded rather happily for all the world to hear....! Let's not go there..

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

My last workplace was torture for this. And it wasn't even during off office times.. it was during. These two ladies would exclaim something really nasty about their husbands being that the office was the majority female where I was working (only three guys, me, my boss, and the gay guy working next to me). Other times it was obscenities... I hated that job so much. It was so unhealthy working there..

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I have puzzled over this 'phenomenon' for years!!!!! I wonder sometimes with the popularity of smutty talk shows (Springer, Montel, Maury, etc.) and "Reality" shows that people just have that 'scratch if it itches' mentality and just blurt out whatever pops into their mind. In my office, I have an unusual mix of young college age interns and more mature people.... and they ALL give wayyyy TMI at times. We've actually had staff meetings where I have told them that when the people from the public are in our office, they are not to be talking about anything beyond work. I had to do this!! I was in my office and hearing graphic details about subjects I'm not even going to post here.

I learned many years ago from a very wise boss, how unwise and improper it is to discuss the very personal details of your life in public or at work. I also have never gotten into socializing outside of work with those with whom I work. I've found it can be difficult to work with them much less supervise them. I have my 'work' world and my 'personal real life' world and I try to keep them from colliding.

The workplace dynamic has really gotten twisted - we now have in-service training for new employees to explain how they are expected to dress and behave while at work. Our local school system recently took steps to enforce a dress code ... for teachers!!! So - I think it would be an excellent item to place in a company newsletter!! Because obviously there are people in almost every walk of life who have no problem with sharing the most intimate details of their lives. Too Much Info!!!!

• Topic Count:  346
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/26/1982

I wonder.. do you think it would hurt your career if you told your co-workers to keep their private life private while they are at work? I wouldn't dare say that at my previous workplace because everyone was practically against me, especially when they found out I was a Christian.. but really, who wants to go to work to hear some dirty secrets from someone with loose lips?

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I wonder.. do you think it would hurt your career if you told your co-workers to keep their private life private while they are at work? I wouldn't dare say that at my previous workplace because everyone was practically against me, especially when they found out I was a Christian.. but really, who wants to go to work to hear some dirty secrets from someone with loose lips?

In that case, I would become totally absorbed in my "work" and ignore completely whatever they were discussing. People notice when you are not interested in conversation that is not conducive to a business environment. Unless you are in a supervisory position and able to implement office policy - I would not tell them to keep their private life private while they are at work - that's a bit presumptive.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

In that case, I would become totally absorbed in my "work" and ignore completely whatever they were discussing. People notice when you are not interested in conversation that is not conducive to a business environment. Unless you are in a supervisory position and able to implement office policy - I would not tell them to keep their private life private while they are at work - that's a bit presumptive.

I agree; totally ignoring or walking away from those who just can't resist telling everyone everything is the one sure fire way to stop them in their tracks. No audience.....no reason to keep blathering. :whistling:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

a nurse who told her that she uses sex to bribe her husband to go to church.
:P This is just so WRONG! I'm half laughing and half shamed by it! :blink:

you can always try Mike Dowd's "even more information" technique. As soon as someone starts to reveal a little too much to the 51-year-old architect from Portland, Ore., he interrupts with a story of his own:

"Wow! Then what happened? But before you tell me, I've got to warn you that sometimes when I hear stuff like this, I get this awful rash -- in fact, I can feel it coming on now. The only thing that calms me is to hold Mr. Snuggies, the stuffed-animal monkey I got when I was little and broke my ankle and the bone penetrated the skin and was completely exposed, and there was this putrid yellowish pus everywhere!

"The doctor's eyes got so wide when he was treating me, he looked like a space alien -- not the fictional ones in movies, but the ones I saw in the park last night.

"So what were you saying? Don't mind my scratching."

:thumbsup::blink::cool: Now this is more like it! I'm not sure I'd personally have the guts to do this, but I know good and well my husband would. He is a flat out master of bull! It's an ongoing inside joke with us. He'll say something outrageous with a perfectly straight face and I'll just shake my head. Then he'll start laughing and say, "You aren't buying this at all, are you?" Lord, that man makes me laugh! :whistling:

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Many people have totally lost their sense of propriety ...

and just a note.. is re-posting this is just as improper as the one who said it....

what is the point of saying "that should not have been shared" and then sharing it???

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe this would make a good addition to the company newsletter....at my company anyway. I sometimes have the urge to run...fast...and find a refuge where speaking isn't permitted! :whistling:

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/artic...orklife_balance

I'm don't even know where to start about this. So I won't.