• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  06/16/1978

When I was young, my mother took me to a muslim weekend retreat, and I prayed to Allah for a few months after that :b: .

:t2:

Too funny!!! I almost spit out my coffee reading this!!! :whistling:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

When I was young, my mother took me to a muslim weekend retreat, and I prayed to Allah for a few months after that :t2: .

:t2:

Too funny!!! I almost spit out my coffee reading this!!! :whistling:

:b:

It never quite felt right. Praise the Lord for protecting me from that false religion!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,173
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Back in the 1980s, I was a member of the Worldwide Church of God headed by Herbert W. Armstrong. Has anyone else here ever been a member of a cult?

We were never actual members, but we attended Church with them and studied all their teachings. It's interesting how Herbert would take an obscure scripture that most others don't focus on and make a big deal out of it to show how more studied he was than the mainstream churches...... then when you least expect it drag you back into the law and teach against just about everything Paul taught.

Of course if you happen to be circumcised, you are really an Israelite and are still commanded by all the old testament laws.

It took me a while to really understand what he was doing and we moved on searching for that true first century church.

When Herbert and his son disagreed and Herb pretty much put his son out of the church, is set them back. When Herb died, the leaders left in the church changed many of the things that were wrong with Herb's teaching. It is slowly changing back from what I see on thier web sites.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Back in the 1980s, I was a member of the Worldwide Church of God headed by Herbert W. Armstrong. Has anyone else here ever been a member of a cult?

After Herb died, they changed their theology, apologised to everyone and have apparently come in line with main-stream teaching?

A Brief History of the Worldwide Church of God,

now known as Grace Communion International

In the early 1930s, Herbert Armstrong began a ministry that eventually became the Worldwide Church of God. He had many unusual doctrines. These he taught so enthusiastically that eventually more than 100,000 people attended weekly services. After he died in 1986, church leaders began to realize that many of his doctrines were not biblical. These doctrines were rejected, and the church is now in full agreement with the statement of faith of the National Association of Evangelicals. To reflect these doctrinal changes, the church changed is name to Grace Communion International in April 2009.

http://www.wcg.org/lit/aboutus/history.htm

Yes Tkach changed it to the way he wanted it and the church splintered into so many different avenues some far worse than some can imagine! My husband grew up in the WWCoG, the family new Armstrong as well as most of the leaders of the main offshoots. The thing was that Armstrong trusted and relied on Tkach, they had discussed the direction of the church and Armstrong left it to him to run instead to Ted his son. Almost as soon as Armstrong was in the grave he started getting rid of the ones he didn't like and then took what Armstrong built and destroyed it. I am not saying they are a great place or not but Tkach didn't do what he did out of the goodness and leading of the Holy Spirit. Media doesn't always print the truth behind the scenes. We can call Armstrong a cult leader etc but he was welcomed by worlds leaders and his advice was sought by them for decades. I myself never attended a WWC but have family in a few of the offshoots.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

I was a Democrat when I was young.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

:blink: :blink: :blink::24: :24: :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Oh I'm so sorry, are you okay now? I bet it was a very traumatizing moment in your life, I'm sure you are cured of the mental effect it had on you. :noidea:

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

When I was young, my mother took me to a muslim weekend retreat, and I prayed to Allah for a few months after that :noidea: .

Oh! I'm SO glad that stuff didn't stick to you, andy.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Me too; but I evolved. :noidea: