IGNORED

can we speak life over someone who is terminal?

turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

This question is about Proverbs 18:21"Death and life are in the power of the tongue" ... Does anybody out there know what the actual meaning of this scripture is? ... Can we use this as a way to speak life over someone who the doctors have written off as terminal?

I have heard word of faith ministries say that we can. But I am not a big fan of those, so I usually don't put much stock in what they teach. Still, if they're correct about this and this IS what Proverbs 18:21 means, I most definitely want to do this for my dad! Though I'm not sure how... Can anyone help me with this? :help:

My dad is in the process of dying of cancer. He is already at the last stage where Hospice nurses are coming out to his house. He is in much pain and growing ever weaker. The last time I spoke to him on the phone he sounded just awful and like he was fading away... My heart is truly breaking over him! :broken_heart: I weep daily. I don't want him to die and he has expressed the same thing. Worst of all, he's unsaved! I DON'T WANT HIM TO GO OFF INTO AN ETERNITY WITHOUT CHRIST.

I want to do anything I can to help him. I do pray for him and post requests for you here at Worthy to agree with me in prayer for him. But I just wondered if us 'speaking life over him' would help?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I always read this scripture as meaning what we say has consequences - good and bad. This can also be seen in mulitiple scriptures, the tongue is a powerful weapon and can cause destruction and upliftment.

* James 3:5-10, "Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things, See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a word of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought no to be so."

* Proverbs 12:18, "There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword, but the tongue of the wise promotes health."

* Ephesians 4:29, "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

* Psalm 141:3, "Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips."

* Proverbs 15:1-4, "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, but the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness. The eyes of the LORD are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good. A wholesome tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit."

* Matthew 12:37, "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Of course we can! We can speak life over someone who is dead!

Mar 11:20 As they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots.

Mar 11:21 And Peter remembered and said to him, "Rabbi, look! The fig tree that you cursed has withered."

Mar 11:22 And Jesus answered them, "Have faith in God.

Mar 11:23 Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be taken up and thrown into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him.

Mar 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Blessings

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:thumbsup: Agreeing with Fez.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I'm sorry you are going through this. We've all heard of people turning around and getting better against all odds. I can't say with any real conviction that we would be able to change God's mind one way or the other at this point.

I understand how bad you feel. My father died 2 years ago and I watched him struggle for every breath looking panicked for weeks and months. I am fortunate in that I lived too far away to be there all the time. My UNSAVED brother was there nearly everyday and I feel for him. He's still lost and I honestly don't know if my father was lost or not. My father told me once that he prayed with my pastor on the day of my wedding. That was 25 years ago and I never saw any evidence that anything about my fathers life ever changed. They say we will know them by their fruits. But it's not really for us to judge. Only God knows for real what was in a persons heart when they prayed the prayer of salvation.

I really don't care much for the types of people that go around trying to force people into saying the prayer of salvation. I know they mean well. It's just that I wonder how often they give a lost person some false sense that they are just getting a toe hold in heaven and that they don't need anything else. I am not suggesting that salvation is based on anything that we do. But isn't there a certain amount of "doing" that comes with a true heart conversion?

Honey, just pray for your dad and beg for more time. We know by the parable about the people being hired to work in the fields and the complaint that the last hired was paid the same as the first, that God will accept a person in his kindgom at the last moment. Of course, there was the man on one of the crosses next to Jesus that was saved at the last moments too.

Guest brothermark

This question is about Proverbs 18:21"Death and life are in the power of the tongue" ... Does anybody out there know what the actual meaning of this scripture is? ... Can we use this as a way to speak life over someone who the doctors have written off as terminal?

I have heard word of faith ministries say that we can. But I am not a big fan of those, so I usually don't put much stock in what they teach. Still, if they're correct about this and this IS what Proverbs 18:21 means, I most definitely want to do this for my dad! Though I'm not sure how... Can anyone help me with this? :help:

My dad is in the process of dying of cancer. He is already at the last stage where Hospice nurses are coming out to his house. He is in much pain and growing ever weaker. The last time I spoke to him on the phone he sounded just awful and like he was fading away... My heart is truly breaking over him! :broken_heart: I weep daily. I don't want him to die and he has expressed the same thing. Worst of all, he's unsaved! I DON'T WANT HIM TO GO OFF INTO AN ETERNITY WITHOUT CHRIST.

I want to do anything I can to help him. I do pray for him and post requests for you here at Worthy to agree with me in prayer for him. But I just wondered if us 'speaking life over him' would help?

Yes. I don't think you are asking the right question however. I think you are really asking is there is some way you can keep your father alive or at least know that he is going to heaven.

Pray for him and believe that God hears your prayer. Pray that your father would repent of his sins and accept salvation through Jesus Christ. Then he wil pass from death unto life...Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (John 5:24 KJV)

Beyond that he may indeed recover for a time. But, that is far less important than that he lives forever.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Yes. I don't think you are asking the right question however. I think you are really asking is there is some way you can keep your father alive or at least know that he is going to heaven.

Pray for him and believe that God hears your prayer. Pray that your father would repent of his sins and accept salvation through Jesus Christ. Then he wil pass from death unto life...Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. (John 5:24 KJV)

Beyond that he may indeed recover for a time. But, that is far less important than that he lives forever.

Amen, wonderful answer....

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I want to answer your question but, honestly, I don't know the answer, TT. I wouldn't want to tell you something that wasn't Biblical so I will just say this....I continue to pray for him, your family and for you. May the Lord bring your dad to salvation as only He can. :emot-pray:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

God answers prayer. I prayed for my father to live, when everyone wanted to take him off life support and God gave him another year.

God sees your heart and he hears your prayers. I believe you can "speak life", but you must have the annointing of the spirit of God. If you believe, you will receive! So many "word of God" people are running around spouting off things and nothing happens. They probably would not know the spirit of God if it came up and knocked them on the head. Jesus was in tune with his father and he said that his father always heard him when he prayed. So must we be in tune with Jesus and pray as the spirit wills us to. Faith is a verb, it denotes action, and it is a substance, the evidence of things unseen. I sincerely believe God wants to answer your prayer. I see nothing wrong with you in taking your bible in hand in a prayerful manner and saying "I speak life unto my father", earthly and eternal life in the name of Jesus. God sees your desperation and he has not left you. God bless you.