unethical things at nursing homes

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

My elderly mom has serious diseases. She is in a nursing home and sadly, is caught in the middle of family feuds that developed following the death of her husband. The drama right on the heels of her trauma is not allowing her to deal with the shock of her recent loss. :( I feel so bad for her. Two days after his burial, she was being swamped with paper work. How insensitive!

I believe there are some shady things going on in that nursing home! Unfortunately, my own disease prevents me from traveling to look into it! I am very much concerned. They keep on bringing in complicated paperwork she does not even grasp, expecting her to sign it (without them even explaining what it is that she is signing!)

Her dr came in and he is suddenly doping her up on psych drugs. This sends up a red flag to me when you couple it with the mysterious paperwork. It seems like suspicious timing. I feel this is not appropriate, as she never requested any such meds (and admits that she is unhappy feeling all zombie-ish and groggy.) My mom is always in her right mind and their choosing to confuse her through potent drugs is not what she needs to mourn the loss of her husband. She simply wants time and prayer!

My question is this...Do any of you have advice on how I can help her in this mess? I really believe funny business is going on in this facility. I have already requested to be mom's power of attorney. But the social worker clearly did not like me. She was very snotty when I called her. She admitted mom had chosen me as her power of attorney. But she was quick to add that mom could change her mind at any time (as though she hoped she would...) She claimed the papers had been drawn up. But without the document in my possession, I have no proof of that and without valid signatures, I am not legally her power of attorney. The nursing home's social worker promised to mail me the papers weeks ago, but has not. I feel that this is a case where I might need a lawyer to fight for mom's rights, but have no money to hire one. Any advice, Worthy family?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Praying,

don't know if this will help but this is what I found when I googled

http://www.ncea.aoa.gov/NCEAroot/Main_Site/FAQ/Nursing_Home_Abuse/Report_Abuse.aspx

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,867
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  228
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Can you call the regulating aurthority ? All nursing homes have to be registered and regulated so it should be fairly straightforward to report a concern

Do you have a legal aid scheme ?

:emot-pray::emot-pray::emot-pray::emot-pray::emot-pray:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

every nursing home has an ombudsperson, they are appoint. by the state to look into the patienst interresses find out who he is and talk to him. Also you may contact the adult protective services or department of health.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

My mom worked in a home for over 20 years and saw all kinds of things, she stuck her neck out for patients but found if the patients family wasn't there standing up and documenting things nothing would come from it. Theres more regulations these days I believe than when my mom worked, I think I would start with trying to talk to the nurses to see if they can also shed light on why your mom was given meds she didn't want then go to the head nurse and continue to take it to the top if that doesn't take care of it then go to the state after that theres always the media.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

TT, I think you've got a lot of good advice here. Things vary from state to state but I know that all of them have a Dept. of Aging (maybe called by another name). I would definitely contact them in the state where your mom lives.

You mentioned you had relatives living close to your mom, can they not look into this? :emot-questioned:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

praying sis *hugs.

you need both power of attorney and health care proxy those are two different things. as a health care proxy you can be informed of any treatment change and medical condition for your mom as power of attorney you will have the right to read and review everything that they are now asking her to sign. be very specific with both that they should take effect now. it would be wise to seek out legal aid to help you to make sure the paper work for that is correcly filled out and witnessed by both you and your mom. if you do not have it take effect immediately they can wait until your mom is deemed"unfit or unable" to put it in place and that could end up as a court battle.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.92
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Good advice. I would contact the ombudsman or the State regulatory agency. The ombudsman is the first person to contact as they really get on things fast.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  286
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  2

praying sis *hugs.

you need both power of attorney and health care proxy those are two different things. as a health care proxy you can be informed of any treatment change and medical condition for your mom as power of attorney you will have the right to read and review everything that they are now asking her to sign. be very specific with both that they should take effect now. it would be wise to seek out legal aid to help you to make sure the paper work for that is correcly filled out and witnessed by both you and your mom. if you do not have it take effect immediately they can wait until your mom is deemed"unfit or unable" to put it in place and that could end up as a court battle.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

Very good advice !!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Have you looked into this yet TT ??

Praying. :wub: