• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Unholy Trinity

by John MacArthur

I don't watch much television, and when I do I generally avoid the Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN). For many years TBN has been dominated by faith-healers, full-time fund-raisers, and self-proclaimed prophets spewing heresy. I wrote about the false gospel they proclaim and the phony miracles they pretend to do almost two decades ago in Charismatic Chaos (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1992. See especially chapter 12). I had my fill of charismatic televangelism while researching that book, and I can hardly bear to watch it any more.

Recently, however, while recovering from knee-replacement surgery, I decided to sample some of the current fare on TBN. From a therapeutic point of view it seemed a good choice: something more excruciating than the pain in my leg might distract me from the physical suffering of post-surgical trauma. And I suppose on that basis the strategy was effective.

But it left me outraged and frustrated

I'm outraged at the brazen way so many false teachers twist the message of Scripture in Jesus' name.

2 Corinthians 11

13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ.

14 And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light.

15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.

And I'm frustrated because I'm certain that if these charlatans were not receiving a large proportion of their financial support from sincere believers (and silent acquiescence from Christian leaders who surely know better), they would have no platform for their shenanigans.

2 Thessalonians 2

11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie,

12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Unfortunately, all I get is TBN and WORD for "Christian" broadcasting. I only watch a couple of preachers and refuse to watch the majority after sampling their teachings. It is sad to see how many people support such false teaching. I have to accept the fact that a small hidden lie placed in a whole bunch of truth is still a lie. When I do watch these channels, I do so prayerfully.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

Unfortunately, all I get is TBN and WORD for "Christian" broadcasting. I only watch a couple of preachers and refuse to watch the majority after sampling their teachings. It is sad to see how many people support such false teaching. I have to accept the fact that a small hidden lie placed in a whole bunch of truth is still a lie. When I do watch these channels, I do so prayerfully.

True. I also only watch a few people on there (Grant Jeffery, Hal Lindsey, Ray Comfort) and the movies they broadcast (the older Christian movies from the 50's and 60's, and those from the BGEA).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  169
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  3

if their desire is strong enough, people would believe everything else but the truth. the heart is deceitful above all things.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Even more of a reason to be as the Bereans were ... study scripture to see if what you hear is true or not, allowing the Holy Spirit to guide and teach you!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

I only, when I do, watch local broadcasts from local churches in a local area, and I prefer to watch pastors I have known personally.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hank Hanegraaff has a great book basically ripping these people apart (biblically speaking) i have read it and it is great... it specifically addresses these people and what they do....

http://www.amazon.com/Christianity-Crisis-Century-Hank-Hanegraaff/dp/0849900069/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1291089692&sr=1-3

• Topic Count:  512
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

My television is tuned to World Harvest Television daily. Why? I love The Rifleman!!!! I record it faithfully every day when I'm at work!!! On my off days, I'll generally watch it and Daniel Boone both. On the weekends, they have Patty Duke and Bat Masterson on also.

I came in tonight and the TV was still on WHT where it had been on The Rifleman earlier. I saw Richard Roberts on there peddling his message, apparently trying to get people to put their hands on the TV screen so they could pray with him. The only time I want to see that dude is on the episode of Hee Haw he was on. Yeah, he was on Hee Haw... :24:

Season 4, Episode 20

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

As much as I hate it, I do have to agree with all of you. Even my former pastor, Rodney Howard-Browne, has his own satellite network now....but he mostly shows old movies, infomercials and broadcasts the Sunday morning service...and anything special that comes up...TBN has gotten really really bad over the years. Pastor Rodney has made the statement that whenever he sees what he terms "Christian television", he wants to throw a shoe into the TV. I used to really like TBN; now I can do without the nonsense that goes with it.

a.