benjamin-benjamin

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

What do you believe these verses are referencing when refering to women and hair?? (1 cor 11)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you believe these verses are referencing when refering to women and hair?? (1 cor 11)

Tell us.

If i had a strong opinion on it i would. I am currently "undecided" or on the fence so to speak on it. After doing (very little) studying on it i am leaning towards the idea that it is refering to the pagan worship and men dressing like women and he is addressing woman respecting men, etc.. but then people will make the same argument about homosexuality... i also struggle when it says

4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head

i posted the question because i am trying to understand the bible better.....

Fair enough. :emot-handshake:

The issue of men having long hair and women having short hair is not a sin issue. This is made clear by the following verse.

1 Corinthians 11

16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

I personally believe Paul is making referrence to a physical desciption of Christ. Many people disagree with me and I'm fine with that, I'm not going to argue the point. I also don't believe that Paul's message was for the Corinthians alone.

I know this doesn't help but I felt I needed to respond to your post to me.

i posted the question because i am trying to understand the bible better.....

Fair enough. :emot-handshake:

The issue of men having long hair and women having short hair is not a sin issue. This is made clear by the following verse.

1 Corinthians 11

16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

I personally believe Paul is making referrence to a physical desciption of Christ. Many people disagree with me and I'm fine with that, I'm not going to argue the point. I also don't believe that Paul's message was for the Corinthians alone.

I know this doesn't help but I felt I needed to respond to your post to me.

thanks for the response, do you mind expounding on your feelings of vs. 16, because i have always heard it said that verse means, if anyone wants to "cut hair/woman not have long hair" that you tell them all the churches of God agree that they should have long hair....ps for the record i have no issue with you "agruing your point" because i posted on here to get multiple opinions.....

Edited by benjamin-benjamin

thanks for the response, do you mind expounding on your feelings of vs. 16, because i have always heard it said that verse means, if anyone wants to "cut hair/woman not have long hair" that you tell them all the churches of God agree that they should have long hair....

It's actually saying the opposite. Notice how after Paul tells us all these things concerning hair length, he ends his message with this:

Paul is basically saying, "if you have a problem with what I said, don't worry about, it's not a big deal". The issue of hair length, male or female, is not a sin issue within the church. It's more an issue of respect. God will not condemn you for what you do with your hair.

That's my take on the subject.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

But... if the woman's covering is her hair and not something extra such as a cloth, so that having long hair means she's praying with her head covered...

Then why do men take off their hats when they pray? Is that praying with their heads uncovered?

In other words, if a man takes off his hat to pray with his head uncovered (in obedience to the Scripture), does that mean a woman would put something on her head to pray with her head covered (in obedience to the Scripture)?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

It has been a very long time since I discussed this, but this is what I remember, hope it is helpful.

Men in the past and even today wore hats that showed their profession or their standing in society, like a soldiers hat or a fine silk hat. Because man should have nothing above him when he worships or speaks to God, that hat is removed.

Women. A womens hair is her mantle, one only need to know a women, any women, a short while to understand how they fuss about their hair, so because the hair is a womens mantle and it cannot be removed,( unless her head is shaved) then it is covered. In this way she too has removed any barriers to herself and others when in worship or in prayer.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

If it was for cultural reasons or a Gentile/Jew mixed congregation why does Paul appeal to nature? "for even nature shows it is shamefull for a man to have long hair"

Culturally it feels weird for me to see ladies with head coverings, but also women with short hair often look manly and lose a certain beauty that comes with long hair imo.

but if there is any contention, we have no such custom, nor the churches of God

I always read that as saying there was no other teaching among the churches other than women having long hair or wearing a covering, and the word "churches" also shows it was not just for Corinthian Christians. It doesnt make sense for Paul to denounce a thing and then say, but then say "you choose i dont have a ruling"?

Im not sure what to make of it all really.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

But... if the woman's covering is her hair and not something extra such as a cloth, so that having long hair means she's praying with her head covered...

Then why do men take off their hats when they pray? Is that praying with their heads uncovered?

In other words, if a man takes off his hat to pray with his head uncovered (in obedience to the Scripture), does that mean a woman would put something on her head to pray with her head covered (in obedience to the Scripture)?

I don't wear a hat :whistling: And I have never seen a woman in our church wear a hat either.

I have prayed (not in church), with a baseball cap on (because it was a hot day).

Funny that. I have never thought about it, but I would not walk into church with a cap on. Not because of any doctrine in my church, but just because it somehow seems disrespectful.