David333

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  282
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Don't know where that idea for falling away came from.
The Greek word that is used there. It is Parapiptos. In this context it refers to falling to the side, and is not a reference to apostasizing from faith in Christ.

The Scripture states, "Except there come a falling away first" (2Thes 2:3) The Greek word translated "falling away" is apostasia and means, defection from Truth. Defection is the act of forsaking or leaving. The Apostle Paul stated, "For the mystery of iniquity does already work." (2Thes 2:7) The Greek word translated "iniquity" is anomia, which means, illegality, i.e. violation of law or contempt of Divine Law.
Yeah, but I am using a different Greek word.

Besides the context is spiritual immaturity. The complaint is not that they have fallen away, but that that they have stopped growing in the faith and remain spiritual babes. So, to translate "fall away" as apostasizing does not agree with the context. He is accusing them of falling to the side where their spiritual growth is concerned and why it is not possible to keep going back over the rudimentary principles of the faith, but rather the need to go move on to the deeper priniciples of the faith.

I'll tell you this one thing, if one supposes that they can just arbitrarily substitute one Greek word for another at their leisure in the Word of God, then it would seem that it is, to that one, not in fact the very Word of God.

Guest shiloh357

The Greek word that is used there. It is Parapiptos. In this context it refers to falling to the side, and is not a reference to apostasizing from faith in Christ.

The Scripture states, "Except there come a falling away first" (2Thes 2:3) The Greek word translated "falling away" is apostasia and means, defection from Truth. Defection is the act of forsaking or leaving. The Apostle Paul stated, "For the mystery of iniquity does already work." (2Thes 2:7) The Greek word translated "iniquity" is anomia, which means, illegality, i.e. violation of law or contempt of Divine Law.

Besides the context is spiritual immaturity. The complaint is not that they have fallen away, but that that they have stopped growing in the faith and remain spiritual babes. So, to translate "fall away" as apostasizing does not agree with the context. He is accusing them of falling to the side where their spiritual growth is concerned and why it is not possible to keep going back over the rudimentary principles of the faith, but rather the need to go move on to the deeper priniciples of the faith.

I'll tell you this one thing, if one supposes that they can just arbitrarily substitute one Greek word for another at their leisure in the Word of God, then it would seem that it is, to that one, not in fact the very Word of God.

I am not arbitrarily substituting one word for another. In Hebrews 6, the Greek word IS parapiptos, not apostasia. I am using the Greek word that is in the Greek text. You are simply mistaken.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  282
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

My apology ... thought you were speaking of the 2Thes reference. However, Parapiptos means, to fall aside, that is, (figuratively) to apostatize: - fall away. And, in the context of the Scripture, as to those of whom it would be impossible to renew them again unto repentance. It is those, "who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the age to come." These one's are not babe's in Christ.

A Seller's

But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. 2 Peter 2:1-3

Market

And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage. Jude 1:14-16

And The Body

And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:

Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. 1 Peter 1:17-23

Of The Christ

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one. John 10:27-30

For Beloved

Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:10-12

It Is War

Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. Ephesians 6:13-16

And

And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; Ephesians 6:17-18

Jesus

Thus saith God the LORD, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:

I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house. I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Isaiah 42:5-8

Saves

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. Jude 1:24-25

Look

And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived. Numbers 21:9

To The Man From Galilee

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. John 3:14-15

And Dear Family, You'll Never Never Be Ashamed

For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. Romans 10:11

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

What shall I render unto the LORD for all his benefits toward me? I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the LORD. Psalms 116:12-13

Love, Your Brother Joe

Guest shiloh357
My apology ... thought you were speaking of the 2Thes reference. However, Parapiptos means, to fall aside, that is, (figuratively) to apostatize: - fall away.
No, it does not. Besides the writer is not accusing them of apostasy, but being spiritually immature. The use of parapiptos in this passasge does not mean to fall away from faith in Christ or to reject the Lord. That is the context. The context speaks of those who have fallen aside in terms of their diligence in growing behond needing milk. They have become lazy and stagnate. That is NOT apostasy.

And, in the context of the Scripture, as to those of whom it would be impossible to renew them again unto repentance.
Sorry, but you have the context wrong. To say it is impossible to renew them to repentence means that is it impossible to go back to the beginning of their walk with God. We cannot remain as babes, but move beyond the elementary principles of the faith.

It is those, "who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, and have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the age to come." These one's are not babe's in Christ.
According to the writer of Hebrews they are. He is saying that those who know Christ cannot remain in their iniitial spiritual statep; they cannot go back and keep relearning what they should have already learned. They cannot continue in milk but must advace to meat

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

If a born again Christian decides to believe the New Age movement, would that be considered falling away?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

If a born again Christian decides to believe the New Age movement, would that be considered falling away?

If one renounces Christ and biblical Christianity for a false gospel (Gal. 1:6-10) and false Christ (2 Cor. 11:4), they have fallen away/apostasized from truth. There are no Christian Atheists (contradiction in terms....Charles Templeton was like Billy Graham and died an agnostic/atheist).