• Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Possible Ninth Planet Rocks the Web

by Claudine Zap

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/94291

It sounds to me like they propose it is out there because what they observe indicates a massive gravitational force in the outer reaches of the solar system, which could be a planet of gas giant size.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

I don't know....

they say... the planet is 4 times the size of Jupiter. Jupiter is the largest planet in this solar system, it's volume being large enough to hold 1, 321 planets the size of earth.

they say.....that it won't reveal itself for another 2 years....is it shy???

they also say....that NASA may have information on this planet....is NASA being stingy???

Hard to imagine something 4 times the size of Jupiter floating around out there and no one can see it.....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I thought the same Hunter. Ii wonder if the gravitational pull is from us starting to align with the center of the milky-way, but I am not astronomer. Though I enjoy the pictures, I know very little about outer space.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Just because it is large does not mean it can be seen easily. Bright spots in the sky become smaller and dimmer the farther they are away. Neptune took some doing to find.

Two years could be a guess - one has to actually be looking for it, get the calculations right, point a powerful enough telescope in the correct direction, etc.

Don't know what they know NASA does or does not know. If they are silent it could because they would rather have something more concrete before saying anything. For what they are observing could be caused by something else, and they don't want to "open mouth, insert foot."

Does that help?

Here are my questions. If we know enough about our solar system to know the makeup of all the planets, their moons and the asteroid belt, how could they miss such an object after all this time? To me, the logic of just not looking in the right place seems too weak to believe with all the technology we have at our fingertips. If we can be so certain about all this, how did they miss something so big? It's not like it just appeared, is it? Did God just make another planet?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Just because it is large does not mean it can be seen easily. Bright spots in the sky become smaller and dimmer the farther they are away. Neptune took some doing to find.

Two years could be a guess - one has to actually be looking for it, get the calculations right, point a powerful enough telescope in the correct direction, etc.

Don't know what they know NASA does or does not know. If they are silent it could because they would rather have something more concrete before saying anything. For what they are observing could be caused by something else, and they don't want to "open mouth, insert foot."

Does that help?

Even if this is the planet X that some people are looking to come into close orbit and mess with our planet, NASA is not going to tell us about it ahead of time.... No reason to panic people before it's absolutely necessary. We've had official think tanks discuss things of this nature and they have all said the same thing.... if it's a major catastrophe and there isn't anything we can do about it...... don't panic the public.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Here are my questions. If we know enough about our solar system to know the makeup of all the planets, their moons and the asteroid belt, how could they miss such an object after all this time? To me, the logic of just not looking in the right place seems too weak to believe with all the technology we have at our fingertips. If we can be so certain about all this, how did they miss something so big? It's not like it just appeared, is it? Did God just make another planet?

OneLight, if this is the Naburu thing, the theory is that it's a very large planet that is on an orbit that more resembles a comet. It spends almost all it's time very very far out. According to the theory it only comes around once ever 3,600 years and causes havoc with the rest of the solar system with it's strong gravity and magnetic fields. If there is truly such a thing it's due back around 2012 give or take a few years. Anyway for worry warts it gives us something to think about befides the Muslim Brotherhood taking over and chopping off our heads for not following them.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/06/1981

I always liked irony. They decided pluto was not our ninth planet, even though they know exactly where it is. Now they are hoping to find the actual ninth planet! lol :) It's kinda funny to me anyway......

Nebula- You are right in saying that distant planets can be very hard to see. If the sun is between us and the planet we cannot see it at all, if we are on the same side as the planet we still need to detect some amount of light from that planetary body.

Sometimes this drives me nuts: Scientists sometimes refer to the detection of 'gravitic forces' when they talk about finding objects in deep space. There is no instrument that literally measures gravity though. What they are referring to is that light telescopes show a distortion that may be due to the bending of light by intense gravity. It probably is due to that, but sometimes popular theories are incorporated into scientific language in a way that confuses those who don't understand the science.

It might be neat to find a new planet in any case..... hope it 'reveals itself'!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

Well, another thing about the gravity - the orbits of some of the comets coming in lately have been other than what was expected, so they think something of great gravity must be out there deflecting the comets out of their proper orbits.

Keep in mind how far out they are talking about this thing being - roughly a quarter of a light year away! That's a long way out to be tracking something that does not shine with its own light.

OneLight, if this is the Naburu thing, the theory is that it's a very large planet that is on an orbit that more resembles a comet. It spends almost all it's time very very far out. According to the theory it only comes around once ever 3,600 years and causes havoc with the rest of the solar system with it's strong gravity and magnetic fields. If there is truly such a thing it's due back around 2012 give or take a few years. Anyway for worry warts it gives us something to think about befides the Muslim Brotherhood taking over and chopping off our heads for not following them.

Thanks. I have not been exposed to the term, or word, Neburu before. As for worrying, not a chance! What is to be, will be, and nothing I can do will change it. No amount of worrying ever changed anything.