• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  234
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  06/16/1978

Dear all,

I am curious because I am hearing many different things from Christian brothers and sisters. Some are saying that unless you get married inside a church, your marriage is not blessed by God. Others say it is OK to get married elsewhere ( parent's backyard with an officiant, courthouse) as long as you bring in God in your vows.

Some basic googling research I did showed that weddings were never conducted in churches until the 12th century when the Catholic priests started officiating weddings inside the churches.

No where in the Bible either have I found verses that say a wedding needs to take place in a church building. But being no expert on the Bible, I would love to find out more.

:noidea:

Dear all,

I am curious because I am hearing many different things from Christian brothers and sisters. Some are saying that unless you get married inside a church, your marriage is not blessed by God. Others say it is OK to get married elsewhere ( parent's backyard with an officiant, courthouse) as long as you bring in God in your vows.

Some basic googling research I did showed that weddings were never conducted in churches until the 12th century when the Catholic priests started officiating weddings inside the churches.

No where in the Bible either have I found verses that say a wedding needs to take place in a church building. But being no expert on the Bible, I would love to find out more.

:noidea:

There's your answer.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

From what I can gather biblical marriages were done under a chuppah/huppah or wedding canopy, this represented the couples home, it was usually a silk or linen cloth strung on poles. Its symbolic of the home the groom builds for his bride. We get many glimpses into it all when we read about the Messiah and His bride. There is no reason in the world to be married in a church unless thats what one wants to do, beach wedding, backyard it doesn't matter what matters is ones relationship with God and your spouse the rest is pretty much man made tradtions.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I've never heard anyone outside the Catholic Church say a marriage must be done in the church to be blessed by God. That just sounds weird to me.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I don't find any scripture saying exactly how Christians are to be married. Christ does say however that it is God that brings two people together, that marriage is from God. Thus I think it would make sense to have a Christian marriage, that include vows to God and vows to each other, that would include the reading of the Gospel and prayer for the new couple.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

From Genesis

2 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

23 The man said,

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

I didn't get married at a church.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

What you found is correct. "Where" one gets married is never addressed in Scripture.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

I've never heard anyone outside the Catholic Church say a marriage must be done in the church to be blessed by God. That just sounds weird to me.

I've been to a number of Catholic weddings which were held at other venues besides a church. One of the most beautiful weddings was on a beautiful beach on the eastern shore - lovely - just as the sun was rising.... we had breakfast and lovely day.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/06/1981

If I were to get married I would want to involve God and believers in the whole process. I would absolutely ask my pastor to oversee the ceremony, but I would like to have it somewhere other than a church most likely. That's only because it would be nice to do an outdoor affair and the church is really made of people; Us in fact.

I picture a simple ceremony that is short on long-winded speeches and incorporates some simple symbolic act like the exchanging of rings, or the pouring of the sand. All the ceremonies and traditions are really for us though. Jesus said "Don't even swear, 'By my head!' for you cannot turn one hair on it black or white! Just say a simple 'Yes, I will' or 'No, I won't'. Your word is enough." Matthew 5:37,38

In other words, 'I do' or 'I don't'. Simple things were preferred by Christ probably because they are usually free of artifice and deceit.