• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I was wondering if anyone has an image of God that they carry with them?

To some it might be of an awsome God sitting on a throne surrounded by the elders and angels...

To others (like me), i have no concrete image of what God looks like. I know He is spirit, but my image of Him is cloudy at best.

I know what He is, but not who He is, if you get my drift.

He is just simply God, and I can put no shape or form to Him.

Because, i think if most of us were to admit, at one time or another when we have prayed to Jesus, we have had the traditional picture of the handsome, bearded man in the white robe in our heads.

Wrong, and man made I know, but we are all products of the childrens bibles we read, the pictures we show at Sunday schools,etc.

Edited by Fez

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/05/1959

Oh I am going to enjoy following this post Fez. :emot-highfive:

My image of God is one of a Father. When I go into my little prayer closet and draw close to Him, I see Him looking at me with a Fathers love. I don't put a face on it. More like a feeling. I am always sitting at His feet. I feel like I can crawl on to His lap anytime I want. It is so big and huge. Has to be for I come carrying baggage sometimes. Then He calmly takes the baggage and tosses it aside to make room for only me there on His lap. Then we talk and talk. He dries my tears and helps me laugh. Yep He is my Daddy. The biggest and fiercest Daddy of all. And His love is an all consuming warmth. What daughter wouldn't want to sit forever at the feet of a Father like that. :wub:

Blessings Fez. :emot-wanttohug::emot-wanttohug:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

If I could imagine what God looked like, it would not be Him! He is far more then my imagination could ever create. :thumbsup:

Guest Carol.T

I think of Him in just terms of spirit too.I don't think of Him as a person,I dont like to humanise Him.

I dont think our human brains could ever truly comprehend how He looks.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

If I could imagine what God looked like, it would not be Him! He is far more then my imagination could ever create. :thumbsup:

I guess thats what I was trying to say :thumbsup: It is futile to even begin to think of Him in our terms...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

Even through I don't bow down or worship any image of God....

I do have in my living room two small plates that shows the birth and the last supper, a small stature of a man carrying a cross.

When I look in the different of any of them.... They work in the same manner of when I read His word, instantly they become a tool to bring about the spirit of thankfulness and nothing more.

:emot-heartbeat:

I think of Him in just terms of spirit too.I don't think of Him as a person,I dont like to humanise Him.

No one can even picture what He truly looks like. But when I think of Him I see a Father. That is one of the names He is given in the Bible over and over again. The best known prayer is Our Father who art in Heaven. Is it humanizing God by thinking of Him as someone like a Dad one that I can go to whenever I feel like I can take no more. Or one that I want to rejoice with. He is human to me not in the physical form but in my heart. He is also the Holy Spirit. I will not say what He looks like for I don't know but I know what He feels like to me. That is the image I have of Him.

But I would like to know if anyone thinks it is humanizing God by thinking of Him in such a way?

Blessings.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,268
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

No one can even picture what He truly looks like. But when I think of Him I see a Father. That is one of the names He is given in the Bible over and over again. The best known prayer is Our Father who art in Heaven. Is it humanizing God by thinking of Him as someone like a Dad one that I can go to whenever I feel like I can take no more. Or one that I want to rejoice with. He is human to me not in the physical form but in my heart. He is also the Holy Spirit. I will not say what He looks like for I don't know but I know what He feels like to me. That is the image I have of Him.

But I would like to know if anyone thinks it is humanizing God by thinking of Him in such a way?

Blessings.

I believe we are made in his image are we not?

Blessings.

I believe we are made in his image are we not?

True we are other one and that is a comforting thought. I just don't want people to think I am trying to put the Lord on a lower level. He is above us above all comprehension (sp) but still like a Father to me.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well, it's hard not to think of Jesus without the "traditional" picture image, even though I've seen reason to believe He didn't have long hair. Maybe He had locks? (I've heard about how that was traditional for Jewish men back then, like the Orthodox today.)

But when you say, "God", do you mean The Father?

Because when I am thinking specifically of Jesus or the Holy Spirit, a different "image" forms.

For the Holy Spirit, I see a figure, but not any details of the figure per se.

I had a dream where I believe I saw Jesus (long story). What I remember was not so much His features but His countenance. I'm not sure I can put the words to it that had the impact of what I saw, but it's as if I never understood what the word "joy" meant until I saw His face. I mean, we all know He was full of joy. But what I saw blew away every concept I had of what joy was or is (!).

But for the Father? I'm still re-working my image of Him. I mean, I've always understood the righteous and justice side of God, but not the grace and mercy side (OK, "side" is the wrong word, but hopefully you understand what I mean). So I am learning that love is what He is more than anything, and it's taking some reworking.

And how do you visualize love by a big heart? :noidea: