• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Neb, I highlighted in general because certainly I don't apply my comments to all women. There are many women who are well established and mature in the word (you for example) who would be wonderful at what ever role in the church.

And I guess I wasnt' very clear - I think women can be good teachers, but I don't like sitting under a woman pastor. When I talked about influence, I mean that women seem to use their influence to persuade. At least, I perceive it that way. And yes, I want both genders to be speaking from the direction and guidance of the Holy Spirit - absolutely. I simply mean that I want -in myself - to be fully persuaded for that reason and not because of the influence of emotions only. That's all I meant.

I appreciate the clarification!

That makes sense. :)

And thank you for the compliments on my bible stories. :wub: It blesses me if you've been blessed.

You are quite welcome!

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Agreeing with Yod.

So just wondering, not to open up a can of worms, but what is everyones opinion for the roles of woman in the church? Please back up your opinion with scripture if you can.

But since, as Yod pointed out, this topic has been sliced and diced so much - which is what happens to all the Scriptures referring to such (!) - I shall present a different take on the issue. Now since the Bible teaches through events that have happened, I shall do the same.

My father married a woman who is an ordained pastor. She and her original husband (also an ordained pastor, he passed away a few years ago) were co-ministers as a part of the pastoral staff of a mega-church. Their original role was as youth pastors. (I am one that personally believes it is best to have both male and female pastors running a youth ministry; after all, who will minister most effectively to the teenage girls????) Since his illness and passing, her pastoral position was shifted elsewhere. But since my father married her, he's joined her in her pastoral role, and even though he is not ordained, he is regarded as such. (It is quite amazing that the Senior pastor hasn't made a fuss about it - but that's another story!) The point is that because of his wife's pastoral role, he has stepped into his role as a pastor (in spirit, if not in documentation).

Hopefully, Josh, you can glean from this.

Good story, thanks for sharing. I personally believe that some woman can make great Pastors, as well as evangalists. I've heard some sermons from woman that Holy Spirit used to impact my whole lifestyle. As far as their role in Church, wether they should be head pastor or not, I'm not sure about. I'm still on the undecided.

Scripturally I'm seeing that head pastor is nothing more than an elder, and the origional set up had multiple elders in a church with equal authority, but I am also aware that polity changes context to fit the community it's in. The roles of woman in the early church's also fit the roles of woman in the community at that time, in fact, the roles of woman in the church was much more elivated and liberating for woman than the society at that time. Woman where concidered sub-human in stature in early roman culture, the church opened doors for them to have equality. Paul refers to this liberation of all heirarchy in Galatians 3:26

Galatians 3: 26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

My thinking is that woman are not the 'head' of the church but that they can teach also, just wouldn't be comfortable with a woman as the head of the congregation. Where I go we have woman talk each week, a 20 minute take on the Torah portion or pertaining to it then the pastor does his thing. I have learned much from both and if we are learning His word and whatever a man or woman teaches comes from scripture I just don't see a problem with woman having a role in teaching.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

what is everyones opinion for the roles of woman in the church?

Getting the coffee and keeping their yappers closed while they do it. :whistling:

"Let women keep quiet in the churches: for it is not right for them to be talking; but let them be under control, as it says in the law." (1 Corinthians 14:34)

Now, I'll sit back and wait for MorningGlory to bring the hammer down. :laugh:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Getting the coffee and keeping their yappers closed while they do it. :whistling:

"Let women keep quiet in the churches: for it is not right for them to be talking; but let them be under control, as it says in the law." (1 Corinthians 14:34)

They serve the man whiskey and take care of his animals.

19 After she had given him a drink, she said, Ill draw water for your camels too, until they have had enough to drink.

I think Yod and wyguy are on to something here!

Add to it this..

Pro 21:9 It is better to live in a corner of the housetop than in a house shared with a quarrelsome wife.

Pro 27:15 A continual dripping on a rainy day and a quarrelsome wife are alike;

Good advice in the scriptures eh?

So? arguing with the wife?

Hop on your camel, go to church, get served a calming whiskey and listen to the silence!

I can do that :whistling:

(now I think I will retire from Worthy for a year or two while I try and make peace with South :cool: )

• Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Gal 3:26 is about equality of access to the Lord and salvation, not equality in terms of roles and responsibilities. Males and females still exist, that distinction is made in scripture written after Gal 3:26. Likewise jews and gentiles still exist, they just have equal access to salvation. The wall between them is broken down.

The bible talks about women's roles teaching the younger women and children, that I believe is their primary role in the church. I stop short in supporting something when their role puts them in authority over men.

This is not just from a few selected verses, but from the model the Lord has set up right from Gen 1.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

They serve the man whiskey and take care of his animals.

19 After she had given him a drink, she said,

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I seem to have misplaced my hammer but.....I WILL find it. :foot-stomp:

• Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

I seem to have misplaced my hammer but.....I WILL find it. :foot-stomp:

:yadda::sneaking::beehive::horse:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I believe that scripture is very clear that women should not be preaching or teaching. Women can pray in public and share the Gospel with the lost, women can also teach other women as well as children. Those who follow the feminist movement think they are permitted to do whatever they please.

1 Tim 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.