IGNORED

What did Jesus mean when He said "It Is Finished"?

Ddavid from NC

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

So many read the Biblical narrative too casually and without thorough examination. When Jesus declared from the cross, "It is finished"...what do you think he was declaring and what does that mean practically in my faith and practice? Is there a clue in the original language? Is the sacramental understanding of many in conflict with His declaration. Was He announcing that His earthly ministry was accomplished or was He announcing the debt paid and no further sacrifice or merit needed? Did He make a downpayment or pay the bill?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

Are you asking if we are saved by grace or by works?

I am asking in your understanding what did Jesus mean when He said, "It is Finished"?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

I am asking in your understanding what did Jesus mean when He said, "It is Finished"?

I believe I do, but will never be 100% sure until I ask Him.

So many read the Biblical narrative too casually and without thorough examination. When Jesus declared from the cross, "It is finished"...what do you think he was declaring and what does that mean practically in my faith and practice? Is there a clue in the original language? Is the sacramental understanding of many in conflict with His declaration. Was He announcing that His earthly ministry was accomplished or was He announcing the debt paid and no further sacrifice or merit needed? Did He make a downpayment or pay the bill?

If I have to lean on the the original language to gain understanding, I'm pretty much lost.

When Jesus said, "It is finished", He could have been alluding to this. All the prophecies concerning Him while He was still living had been fulfilled.

Psalm 69

21 They also gave me gall for my food,

And for my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.

Or He could have been saying that His work here was done. His mission to subdue death was complete.

How you interpret this determines a lot about your faith

Explain that.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,925
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

I believe Christ was declaring that the redemtive work that God began - first through the Law, and then the supreme sacrifice of His one and only Son - was finished. God was not going to do anything further.

Free will dictates that our part is to accept or reject His sacrifice. I happen to believe that accepting Christ's sacrifice will result in a changed life (apparent to others) for the Christian.

But that apparently is an area of controversy.

Blessings!

-Ed

Explain that.

I would encourage you to follow the thread and you will see evidence hopefully that what a person believes or understands abut that declaration from the cross become their practical theology. Many believe that we have to continually return to the cross to ask for forgiveness and many believe he died once for all sin, past, present. This often determines their belief about the security of a believer, how they view the Lord's Supper, and their work ethic in the Kingdom. As people express themselves if they are transparent they will tell you what they understand or feel about that one phrase..."It is Finished"

Explain that.

I would encourage you to follow the thread and you will see evidence hopefully that what a person believes or understands abut that declaration from the cross become their practical theology. Many believe that we have to continually return to the cross to ask for forgiveness and many believe he died once for all sin, past, present. This often determines their belief about the security of a believer, how they view the Lord's Supper, and their work ethic in the Kingdom. As people express themselves if they are transparent they will tell you what they understand or feel about that one phrase..."It is Finished"

From my answer to your post, what have you learned about my faith?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

That statement can hold so many meanings to us. In my inspirational reading, here is one way it was shared:

It Is Finished

Today's Scripture

I am certain that God, Who began the good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns."

Today's Word

It's interesting that the last thing Jesus said on the cross was "it is finished." It certainly looked like the end. It looked like it was over. But I believe that wasn't just a statement of fact; it was a statement of faith. He was saying to His Father, "I've done My part. I've fulfilled My destiny. Now I've got total trust and confidence in You that You are going to finish what You started. "Even through it looked like the end, in reality, it was only the beginning. When it looks dark in your own life and things aren't going your way, dare to make that declaration of faith just like Jesus..."It is finished!" What you are really saying is "God, I know You are going to turn this situation around. I know You are going to heal my body. I know You are going to restore my family. I know You are going to give me that break through I need. Don't go around complaining. Speak victory over your circumstances. Trust that He is faithful and that He will complete what He has started in you!

A Prayer for Today

Father in Heaven, I thank You for Your faithfulness in my life. I thank You that You will complete what You started in my life. Today I choose to put my trust and hope in You knowing that You are working behind the scenes to bring victory to every area of my life!

In Jesus Name, Amen.