IGNORED

FInding the right words & scriptures

Guest californialamb

Guest californialamb

My supervisor at work (I have been there 6 months) says she is a christian. She even said to me a few months ago that she thinks the reason I am there is for her and her relationsip with God. We talk about christinaity often but I don't push too much on her. Here are the problems...

She doesn't go to church because she doesn't want to fall into the wrong thing. She doesn't want someone dictating how her realtionship with the Lord should be. She thinks she can have a relationship that is personal to her and God. Which I understand but she is wrong in a lot of her thoughts and her general moral beliefs are in contradiction with scripture.

I will discuss more later but a little insight on what I have told you so far would help.

I am 41 she is about 52 or so. Sort of a hippe throw-back, spiritual (70's type), she is very sensative to human relationships, and wants harmony in her life.

anyway help if you can.

:t2:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Does she read her bible?

LT

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

Hi californialamb :t2:

You say she believes in some things that are against scripture? Maybe you should ask her if she thinks if the Words spocken by Jesus in the bible are true? Try and find out if her foundations are in the bible. You have not detailed her beliefs are that are contry to scripture? if you can get an aknowledgement from her that the Bible is the Guiding foundation of our faith then you can work from that solid base. :D

I would love to hear more about her beliefs and your future fellowship with her. :t2:

Blessings to you

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Guest californialamb

A few of the things she has mentioned is that if you are not happy in marriage you should just divorce, she has no problem with the lifestyles of same sex relationships, etc.. worldy beliefs.

I know the scriptures to back up the truth in the bible... I even have stories to show Gods Glor and what he can do in the lives of his people. I am the minority at the lunch table. what I am asking is a non confrontational approach to someone who is my delegated athourity in a mixed group of people. Lunch is our only tme to talk and there is usually only a ten minute time span or less in which the converstaion at the table is not dominated by people talking about other things.

Trying to bring up the subject at that time makes her uncomfortable and the others pretty much ignore me. She is so afraid of "wrong Teaching" and being led astray. She doesn't read the hardly at all but doesn't mind when I read things to her. She has read things I have given to her "about" God and christianity and desires to have a more intimate relationship with God.

Being confrontational, at least with her, will only send her scrambling. I do not feel led to pressure her logic, challange her in a direct way, or push her beliefs in her face. A soft sell for her, I believe, will be the way to invite her to increase her awareness and knowledge of Gods word.

Does that make more sense? : :t2:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,254
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If you can afford it, get a bible on cd (NT KJV read by alex scorby can go for $15 if you watch for sales). Give it to her during one of your discussions and ask her to just listen to it...... It takes about 18 to 20 hours. This might get some of the finer teachings into her subconcious and things can change.

People learn differently from the ears than they do from sight. Thigs sink in differently.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

Why not develop a relationship with her outside of work? Go to dinner or a movie, shopping, etc? I think you're doing great so far, just remember there is no rush. God is at work and using you. If she begins to trust you and feels like you care, she will listen to what you have to say. Sometimes I think we get in such a hurry to help ppl we forget that everything is in God's hands and His timing. I'd encourage you to get a book called "More Ready Than You Realize" by Brian McLaren. It's pretty short and discusses how he befriended a girl who had some very mixed up beliefs. It took a long time, but he tells specifically how he handled it gently and eventually led to her discovering the truth.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

I'm with Tess on this one. Be a friend. Have integrity, stand up for what you believe in and love her to death. When she sees your strength and good character, she'll start asking you the questions and approaching you for advice. Until then, just show her what it means to have Christ within you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

Show her the 2 lifestyles of Gal 5: acts of the sinful nature and fruits of the Spirit. Ask her which one shes in. If her lifestyle is the sinful nature, she must get right with God.

Gal 5:19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

And of course pray for her.

Guest californialamb

Actually I do consider us friends. She seeks conversations with me. She oftens schedules me things that are at the desk next to hers, and says she relies on me for the difficult times in the day to help keep her head straight with the difficulties we face with attitudes, conflicts within departments, and to reind her of the way we are suppose to be with those around us.

As far as a relationship outside of work; I am not so sure that would work. She is not a "lets go do things" kind of person. She is very private. Her best friend works at the same place as we do and in the same department, and often, I think, gets miffed about my realtionship with her , no matter how kind I am to the friend.

I have considered getting her a bible but then I am trying to listen to God as far as the timing on that. A bible on CD would be good but I am afraid that with her personality it would just be words with no expalination or life application to reference to. I am going to try to organize a small lunch time bible study and see what happens. There are only a few of us who have a non traditional lunch time (1:00) so it would not be very many people there.

I believe it is a time thing and I am very aware of the progession of our reltaionship and where whe is at in her beliefs. So.... I will take time. I don't want to blast her with scripture that shows how incorrect her thinking is because she is like china. I believe everyone is at different levels of belief and you can't treat everyone the same or you will loose ground with them. I am tring to see where she is on the scale and continue to appraoch from that angle.

Thanks for all your responses, it helps me to confirm what I am trying to do. Keep your suggestions coming.!!!! :D:o:o

Edited by californialamb