• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Evidence of sea levels rising - things such as islands in the Chesapeake Bay are being covered over by water.

But I heard someone mention that ocean levels are falling around Africa. Is there any way to confirm or unconfirm this?

If this is true, it means we think the levels are rising because our tectonic plates are sinking while Africa's is rising (planetary effects).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are currently still coming out of a small glacial period since about 20,000 years ago and rising sea levels now are minor compared to previous rates.

I think the accepted rate now is about 1.8 mm/year and like you mentioned the movement of plates can effect apparent sea levels.

The coherent trends are from tide gauges not at collisional plate boundaries, and not located in or near areas deeply ice-covered during the last glaciation. Douglas (1991), using ICE-3G values for the postglacial (PGR) rebound correction, found 21 usable records (minimum length 60 years, average 76) in 9 oceanographic groups that gave a mean trend for global sea level rise of 1.8 mm/yr ± 0.1 for the period 1880-1980.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,218
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Evidence of sea levels rising - things such as islands in the Chesapeake Bay are being covered over by water.

But I heard someone mention that ocean levels are falling around Africa. Is there any way to confirm or unconfirm this?

If this is true, it means we think the levels are rising because our tectonic plates are sinking while Africa's is rising (planetary effects).

Neb, interesting you ask, somewhere this morning I read that southern Lousiana is still sinking slowly into the gulf.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,986
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  2

The article is ridiculous on it's face.:thumbsup: Groundwater is a renewable resource. Well's re-fill and are replenished.

So what if humans are pumping groundwater and it ends up in the oceans?:noidea: It will evaporate and return to the groundwater eventually.

Sounds like more Global Warming tripe.:wub:

Peace,

Dave

That's what I was thinking. As soon as I read, "Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change," I knew these knuckleheads were up to something, but what? Maybe a new government tax on people who own wells? Or worse yet, a tax on our drinking water which is pumped up from the ground?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

Groundwater greed driving sea level rises

25 September 2011 by Michael Marshall

SLOWLY and almost imperceptibly the seas are rising, swollen by melting ice and the expansion of seawater as it warms. But there's another source of water adding to the rise: humanity's habit of pumping water from underground aquifers to the surface. Most of this water ends up in the sea.

Not many scientists even consider the effects of groundwater on sea level, says Leonard Konikow of the United States Geological Survey in Reston, Virginia. Estimates were published as far back as 1994 (Nature, DOI: 10.1038/367054a0), but without good evidence to back them up, he says. The last report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said that changes to groundwater reserves "cannot be estimated with much confidence".

Konikow measured how much water had ended up in the oceans by looking at changes in groundwater levels in 46 well-studied aquifers, which he then extrapolated to the rest of the world. He estimates that about 4500 cubic kilometres of water was extracted from aquifers between 1900 and 2008.

That amounts to 1.26 centimetres of the overall rise in sea levels of 17 cm in the same period (Geophysical Research Letters, DOI: 10.1029/2011gl048604).

That 1.26 cm may not seem like much, but groundwater depletion has accelerated massively since 1950, particularly in the past decade. Over 1300 cubic kilometres of the groundwater was extracted between 2000 and 2008, producing 0.36 cm of the total 2.79-cm rise in that time. "I was surprised that the depletion has accelerated so much," Konikow says.

More here

I wish we could get some of that water in Texas. We are experiencing a seriuos drought. Please pray for rain or Texas.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,218
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

We need the rain in central Oklahoma also. We're 15 inches below normal for the year. The lake for our water supply keeps getting lower and lower..