• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everone

I think I've or maybe we have been dicived by parents and the church about Christmas what's your thoughts on this issue ?

For a lot of unsaved people, it's the only time of the year when they will talk about Jesus. For that reason, my answer is "yes, it does"

Other than that...might as well find a way to enjoy giving or people will just think you're a stingy grouch.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Thanksgiving is more religious to me than Christmas. I look at it more as a secular holiday though. I enjoy it anyway. There are a lot of misconceptions about Christmas, but I dont see that as meaning that Christmas has nothing to do with Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

Each individual person and/or family can make any day bad or good - in service to or against God. So, it really doesn't matter what day it is. So, one could ask "Does the first Wednesday in May have anything to do with Jesus? The same answers would apply. All of the same applies to your church also. I hope this isn't going to be one of those Christmas bashing threads. If so, count me out. Ask yourself, "Does today or tomorrow have anything to do with Jesus?"

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Welcome to the Board Agopy!

Some things with Christmas are about Jesus, i.e. manger scenes, some Christmas carols (even if several are theologically inaccurate), church plays.

But most of our traditions are not.

BTW, if you are interested in a little fun, check out these threads:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not hear to bash anyone just struggaling with some scripture that I have read that says not to do as the pagans do and just trying to get some diffrent opinions on what is consider pagan holidays. Was also wondering why we and why the church doesn't teach about the holidays they celebrated in the old testament or were they done away with at the cross.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I know that those who are not Christian and visit church only at Christmas, Good Friday and Easter, if you do not celebrate Christmas with a tree and the 'trimmings' you are not a Christian. Wrong or right those 2 days have become known to the non believer as days that Christians celebrate the birth, death and resurrection of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. That is the only reason that they are taken out of schools, public places and government. That has become the one witness to the non believer. Otherwise you are known as a JW or someone who does not believe in the Lord. With those 3 days NO ONE can say that they have not heard of the Lord and His coming, sacrifice and victory over the enemy for us.

Don't get me wrong I do not say to put up a million lights on the house and a great big Santa and reindeer but the Christmas tree has become a symbol of Jesus birth.

I know that many disagree with me but in our neighbourhood this is true.

Guest shiloh357

The problem is that most Christian traditions are not pagan. In fact, much of the claims that our traditions go back to ancient pagan customs have not been borne out in the archeological record. The Christmas tree only dates back to Germany during the Reformation period. Santa Claus is based upon the true story of St. Nicholas who looked after the needs of orphans.

I do not like the way Christmas has been secularlized and the retail industry has made us believe that unless the kids have 48 presents each under the tree, we have not had Christmas. I am suggesting to my family that our gift giving be revised to being more token in nature. Something thoughtful, but not extravegant. We need to take Christmas back from the retail industry and put the focus squarely on Jesus.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I'm not hear to bash anyone just struggaling with some scripture that I have read that says not to do as the pagans do and just trying to get some diffrent opinions on what is consider pagan holidays.

Not a problem. Every year we have our "Is Christmas evil?" discussion - as well as our "Is Easter evil?", "Is Halloween evil?", etc.

It's a tradition. :P

Was also wondering why we and why the church doesn't teach about the holidays they celebrated in the old testament or were they done away with at the cross.

You've come to the right place for asking this question. :grin:

By the end of the First Century, Gentile Believers had begun distancing themselves from the Jewish Believers on account of the Roman campaign against Jews and all things Jewish in retaliation to the Jewish revolts against Rome. A part of this distancing included their religious practices. Then when Constantine made Christianity the state religion, whether to make the religion palatable to the populace or to "Christianize" paganism (this is an old debate we have around here), he and company converted pagan holidays into Christian ones (i.e. Christmas - worship of the sun - and Easter - worship of a Babylonian fertility goddess). The Feast of the Lord (Passover, Feasts of Weeks, Feast of Booths, Feast of Tabernacles, etc.) were either by then long forgotten or intentionally eliminated - take your pick.

But to answer the second part, no they were not done away with at the cross.

The Feasts were actually a shadow of things to come, prophetic illustrations for the plans and purposes of God.

Jesus was crucified during the week-long Passover celebration - which contains many types and shadows to His death and the purpose for it. He resurrected on the Feast of First Fruits day.

Pentecost is actually the "The Feast of Weeks," or Shavuot. You can read about this Feast here.

There are many reasons to believe that just as the Spring Feasts illustrate Jesus' first coming, the Fall Feasts illustrate His second coming.

Hope that helps!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/12/1978

Shiloh, I could not agree more with your 2nd paragraph. Instead of a time of celebrate the arrival of God on earth in physical human form to accomplish the mission He set in motion, we bow to the altar of Tickle-Me-Elmo and status upgrades. We must return to the manger and understand that we are in the presence of ultimate royalty. There are families that can barely afford the Christmas dinner they put on the table. What if, as a family, we were to give the money we would use on gifts to pay to allow a less fortunate family celebrate with a dinner thye otherwise could not, or to fill the heating fuel tank for their house and keep them warm. Jesus came to sacrifce for us. I think that is what we forget most often at Christmas. Jesus did not come to "get", He came to give. As people that are to follow His example, should we not also give so as to share the relentless love of Jesus Christ?:blink: Wow, sorry for the rant. :b:

And Nebula, thank you for your post. Much of that I did not know. I always considered that the jewish festivals were fulfilled with the cross, as they pointed to some aspect of the life of Christ. Very interesting!:thumbsup:

Blessings in Christ Jesus,

Tin