taylor30

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

I already have an opinion about this, but I think it makes an interesting topic.

Is Hell and Hellfire real, or is the doctrine of eternal suffering contrary to a loving God. Jehovah's witnesses teach annhilationism which means unsaved cease to exist at death. Unitarians teach that God is too loving too create a Hell, and will ultimately let EVERYONE into Heaven.

So, what do YOU think?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hi, welcome to Worthy!

Is Hell and Hellfire real, or is the doctrine of eternal suffering contrary to a loving God. Jehovah's witnesses teach annhilationism which means unsaved cease to exist at death. Unitarians teach that God is too loving too create a Hell, and will ultimately let EVERYONE into Heaven.

So, what do YOU think?

Looking at Hell from what the Bible says actually paints a different picture than our image which is often mostly inspired by Dante's work, I believe it was?

Anyway, the OT never mentions "Hell", only sheol, which is translated as "the grave". Unfortunately, one has to look to other sources to discover what the ancient Hebrews thought of the afterlife.

In the NT, the Greek word used is hades. When Jesus spoke of "Hell" as we call it, the visual analogy was the Valley of Gehenna, which was the valley outside the wall of Jerusalem used as a trash dump ("where the worm dies not and the fire is never quenched").

In the parable of The Rich Man and Lazerus, Jesus mentioned the rich man going to "Hell" and Lazerus going to "Abraham's bosom."

In Revelation, the souls of all men are brought before the Lord for judgement, and those whose names are not written in the Book of Life are cast into the Lake of Fire.

So whatever your theology, you have to consider these as they are written.

We know from scripture that those who die in their sins today will be held in hell until the final judgement. At that time, death and hell will be thrown into the lake of fire. We know you won't be burned up while in hell, and we don't know how long that will be till the final judgment. We know that hell is a place of torments, based on scriptures like Mark 9:43,44, where Jesus said,

43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

The very way this is worded, it seems to indicate that you will not be destroyed in hell, but that you will be tormented forever. In Revelation 20:14,15, it says,

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Some question whether or not you are immediately burned up when you hit the lake of fire? I would say no, but regardless, is being tormented in hell till the final judgment, and the thought you will eventually be destroyed completely any consolation for having to go through that? Revelation 21:7,8 says,

7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

This could indicate that you will spend a certain amount of time in torment or that you will be punished to differen't degrees based on your sins, while in the lake of fire. It depends on what God means when he says they "shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone..." What exactly does "their part" mean? The good news is that Jesus made a way where we don't have to have any part in the lake of fire. We just have to put our trust in him and follow him to the best of our ability. The overcomers will inherit all things, and Jehovah will be their God.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Hell is real. The Lake of Fire is real and eternal.

The flames, torment, worms that never die, are real.

The Seventh-day Adventist also in vain believe in "annihilationism."

Kinda like "poof" and they are all gone... How sad.

The Lake of Fire is for ALL OF ETERNITY!

The richman still awaits for a finger tip drip of water from Lazarus that he will NEVER RECEIVE.

This is not a parable, but 3 eternal men: The "rich man, Abraham, and Lazarus.

Luke 16:23-25

And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

The only way of escape from Hell, and the coming Lake of Fire is through God's true love. Entry into "The Book of Life" through Jesus Christ:

John 3:14-21

And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Mar 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

The KJV mentions "Hell" 31 times in the O/T

The KJV mentions "Hell" 23 times in the N/T.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

I already have an opinion about this, but I think it makes an interesting topic.

So, what do YOU think?

Hell and the Lake of Fire are real.

What is your opinion?

• Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  342
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  01/25/1945

So, what do YOU think?

I see that Butero beat me to the correct answer. The problem I seem to run into the most in discussions about Hell is the definition.

So many think the Lake of Fi9re, a.k.a. the Abyss is Hell and it just ain´t so. (Being Texas born I love that word.) Iĺl not elaborate ecause Butero already covered the ground.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.06
  • Days Won:  78

We know from scripture that those who die in their sins today will be held in hell until the final judgement. At that time, death and hell will be thrown into the lake of fire. We know you won't be burned up while in hell, and we don't know how long that will be till the final judgment. We know that hell is a place of torments, based on scriptures like Mark 9:43,44, where Jesus said,

43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:

44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

The very way this is worded, it seems to indicate that you will not be destroyed in hell, but that you will be tormented forever. In Revelation 20:14,15, it says,

14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Some question whether or not you are immediately burned up when you hit the lake of fire? I would say no, but regardless, is being tormented in hell till the final judgment, and the thought you will eventually be destroyed completely any consolation for having to go through that? Revelation 21:7,8 says,

7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

This could indicate that you will spend a certain amount of time in torment or that you will be punished to differen't degrees based on your sins, while in the lake of fire. It depends on what God means when he says they "shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone..." What exactly does "their part" mean? The good news is that Jesus made a way where we don't have to have any part in the lake of fire. We just have to put our trust in him and follow him to the best of our ability. The overcomers will inherit all things, and Jehovah will be their God.

That's pretty much my take on the question as well so I won't add to your answer. :cool:

• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

So, what do YOU think?

What is your opinion?

Thank you for asking. I believe there is a literal fire called the lake of fire. The lake of fire is clearly NOT the same as Hell, since Revelation says Hell will actually be cast into the lake of fire. I don't claim to know what actually Hell is, but it clearly is some form of place of torment, seperate from the actual lake of fire, where lost souls are currently waiting for the final judgement. Its as if Hell is a temporary jail, and the lake of fire the eternal prison.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

So, what do YOU think?

What is your opinion?

Thank you for asking. I believe there is a literal fire called the lake of fire. The lake of fire is clearly NOT the same as Hell, since Revelation says Hell will actually be cast into the lake of fire. I don't claim to know what actually Hell is, but it clearly is some form of place of torment, seperate from the actual lake of fire, where lost souls are currently waiting for the final judgement. Its as if Hell is a temporary jail, and the lake of fire the eternal prison.

Yes, you will find just about every here will agree with you.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

So, what do YOU think?

What is your opinion?

Yes, you will find just about every here will agree with you.

Gehenna (pronounced Gee-enna) is the ultimate destination of the reprobate, be they angel or human. Hades or hell could be thought of as a holding cell on death row, where the individual knows his/her fate and awaits it. There will be no midnight call from the governor in this case though. This Judge is perfect. There IS no appeal.