• Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Timeline puts your life in Facebook's hands

07 January 2012 by Jacob Aron

Magazine issue 2846. Subscribe and save

Facebook's Timeline shows the world your past since birth, if you choose – will you? Here are some things to think about first

Read here

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,134
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Thanks for the post Neb. I decided when I first read about it that it was a very bad idea

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  562
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,074
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/31/1966

uh oh I got the timeline mostly cause I like the way I can show my photos. It is very confusing though. :huh: Although most stuff I post on my fb are christian stuff. So if any one from fb wants to read it might bless them to. :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

I agree with other one..I feel its a bad idea and one should walk very lightly on what they share...as well as how they act on that site.

I'm enjoying the reconnection (if thats what it can be called) with childhood friends and old classmates.

But I never give detail or personal information out concerning my life... because...I haven't seen these people (nor they me) in ages..

Therefore, I trust as fast as my fingers can type...and that's very slow.

Thanks Neb, great article..thanks for sharing!

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

"It's time to adapt what we do in the offline world to the online world," says Chris Atkinson, a child internet safety advisor based in London. She says that just as people gradually give their children more independence when walking to school or meeting friends, parents should give their children more ownership over what they post online over time.

:blink: Something wrong with this picture.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Its not a choice from what I have been told, the timeline will be on everyones personal page. If people go and look at mine its going to be very boring! :laugh: I mostly post in closed private groups and well most of all my stuff is Yeshua orientated and anyone is welcome to read about Him.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Its not a choice from what I have been told, the timeline will be on everyones personal page. If people go and look at mine its going to be very boring! :laugh: I mostly post in closed private groups and well most of all my stuff is Yeshua orientated and anyone is welcome to read about Him.

yes your right

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

I see the warnings about Timeline in the same light as I do Facebook (and other social sites) in general. There are always warnings about posting too much personal information. This is just common sense. Never post anything on the web that you don't want the whole world to know. Including your future children, you current or future employer, you parents, grandparents, pastor, etc. This isn't a problem for me, since I don't have kids and my dogs haven't figured out how to work the computer, yet. ;) However, even if I did have kids, they wouldn't find anything horrible if they were to scan back through my social history. No pictures of me passed out drunk. No posts about partying all night or being stoned out of my head. Because that's not the life I live. Nor have I ever lived that way. I was raised to believe that it was my responsibility to not behave like some kind of animal and I never have. And therein lies much of the problem with so many of those who put their entire lives out there on the web. They have absolutely no sense of responsibility, no concern what-so-ever about the potential consequences of their actions. It's sad, disturbing, and a sign of the times in which we live, I'm afraid.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

I see the warnings about Timeline in the same light as I do Facebook (and other social sites) in general. There are always warnings about posting too much personal information. This is just common sense. Never post anything on the web that you don't want the whole world to know. Including your future children, you current or future employer, you parents, grandparents, pastor, etc. This isn't a problem for me, since I don't have kids and my dogs haven't figured out how to work the computer, yet. ;) However, even if I did have kids, they wouldn't find anything horrible if they were to scan back through my social history. No pictures of me passed out drunk. No posts about partying all night or being stoned out of my head. Because that's not the life I live. Nor have I ever lived that way. I was raised to believe that it was my responsibility to not behave like some kind of animal and I never have. And therein lies much of the problem with so many of those who put their entire lives out there on the web. They have absolutely no sense of responsibility, no concern what-so-ever about the potential consequences of their actions. It's sad, disturbing, and a sign of the times in which we live, I'm afraid.

Winsome,

You are so right...I have a cousin on there...who mouth would make a sailor blush...<(is that a truth)?

And pictures on there that would make you run for cover...I had to block her page from mine, so what she says and do wouldn't pop up. I have warned her as many relatives...one day this very thing will come back and bite her. Also letting her know...posting that stuff and talking that trash...she is just giving her DNA away to satan...and he mean and will use it against her. It falls on deaf ears. ;)

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1986

As others have said, it is, as always with Facebook, just going to be a case of watching what you put online. I know people that have everything from their hometown and current job to their phone number on there and it's just crazy. I have very little on my Facebook page - I have nothing regarding where I live, where I was born, my current employer etc and I don't plan too. As for my "entire life" being on Facebook...the people that need to know the things going on in my life do so without the help of Facebook. I'm not keen on the Timeline idea but it isn't going to change much for me really, as I have nothing embarrassing or shameful on Facebook anyway. I don't do drunken nights out or abusive/offensive/embarrassing statuses and the only embarrassing pictures I have on there are purely because I'm not very photogenic!