I Am Asking That People Don't Tag Me!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

At this fellowship I have been tagged a "KJV-onlyist" and a "fundamental" two terms that I have never identified with myself. It kind of stings in my soul to be delegated to a fringe group, so I am asking that those ones that would delegate me to a fringe group to be cease and desist because I am your brother. It's just my preference; not angry, it is just a thing I have.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

I don't like labels either.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  989
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  01/13/1959

I don't like labels either.

Me either. Unfortunately, sometimes people like to assume, without knowing others personally & labels get attached. Been guilty myself in the past & try to watch myself better now.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I've also been labeled by others (incorrectly) so I know how you feel. I promise not to do that to you, brother. Words can cut deeper than any knife, for sure. :)

I've also been labeled by others (incorrectly) so I know how you feel. I promise not to do that to you, brother. Words can cut deeper than any knife, for sure. :)

Thanks, MG, and others.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

Thanks, MG, and others.

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/18/1979

It is an unfortunate fact of life that we label people (often very quickly) on what little we know about them.

I actually find nothing wrong with a person preferring a KJV over other translations, I myself prefer the KJV to any other translation, but I will use others as they can help me understand (due to the language they use) more efficiently.

As to being a fundermentalist, revel in it. :D

The truth is, no matter what another persons view of us is. It is God's view of us that is the most important.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

At this fellowship I have been tagged a "KJV-onlyist" and a "fundamental" two terms that I have never identified with myself. It kind of stings in my soul to be delegated to a fringe group, so I am asking that those ones that would delegate me to a fringe group to be cease and desist because I am your brother. It's just my preference; not angry, it is just a thing I have.

I must be honest with you and say that in my opinion you tried pretty hard to label yourself as a KJV-Onlyist. Again - being honest with you - you did so well that's the first thing I think of when I see your user name. You made it the issue and put forth a great deal of effort into it. I'd say that it's all up to you - not others. Yes, you are my brother.

I must be honest with you and say that in my opinion you tried pretty hard to label yourself as a KJV-Onlyist. Again - being honest with you - you did so well that's the first thing I think of when I see your user name. You made it the issue and put forth a great deal of effort into it. I'd say that it's all up to you - not others. Yes, you are my brother.

So, what you are saying if I believe a certain way, then I am setting myself up to be tagged. I believe in baptism by immersion, so tag me a "dunker". Don't try to file me away in some folder and file drawer because you don't know me. If what you say of me is true, I should be tagged, then it is equally true of you, when I think of a tag name for those who believe in modern version I'll get back with you, until then I just call you a believer in Yeshua, and my brother.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

I haven't had any exchanges with you that would cause me to label you anything other than a fellow Christian. I share your dislike of labels. Too often they are based on prejudices that have nothing to do with the actual person they're being applied to. That being said, I also know that it is our human nature to lump each other into "groups" that make it easier for us to recognize and respond to one another. It isn't always right, but I think we all do it to one degree or another.

I'm not a KJV only sort of person, but I know plenty of others who are - my own pastor included - and it doesn't bother me in the least. I don't shove any other version I might happen to read down his throat and I don't take it personally when he shares his feelings about those other translations. He isn't wrong in many of the things he says. But my convictions are mine and I certainly won't judge another person for living by theirs.

As to being a "fundamentalist." I gladly accept that label myself. Though the Lord alone knows exactly what it's supposed to mean. Depending on who you ask, the definition will vary dramatically. I personally take it to mean someone who isn't fond of or participating in the "progressive" movement that is an increasingly popular trend in Christianity. I don't much care for "mega" churches, yet I do appreciate many of the "modern" forms of worship some of them use. I attended a small church as a teen that regularly sang what are called "worship songs" today and it was wonderful. I just watched a video the other day of a young man who created an amazing piece of artwork over the span of a few minutes as part of a worship service. It was incredible and clearly a profound God-given talent. I love traditional hymns, Southern Gospel, choral music, and a fair amount of more "contemporary" music. (But that's probably because I was raised to love music by two musically inclined parents and so my tastes are extremely eclectic. ;) ) I find it regretful that some churches, in an effort to resist the influence of the world, also resist any sort of change at all, including in how they worship. I know one pastor who I respect greatly and who is a very anointed preacher, that abhors "contrived" music like a soloist singing with an accompaniment track. That's his preference, but I also know that his views on the matter are skewed by his personal history. He's definitely a "fundamental" sort of preacher, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything he preaches. That's why God gave us discernment. :)

I'm a fundamental Christian in that I have definite traditional values and views on many things. However I'm not fundamentally stubborn to the point that I cut off my nose to spite it. Worship is like prayer. It is personal and should be so. Just as I would not beat someone over the head with my personal convictions, demanding that they share and practice them, I don't appreciate it when others try to force me in line with their beliefs. Still, fundamental isn't a bad word. I equate it with traditional.

In the end, we all need to be careful when applying labels to one another. Because labels are much too confining for the average person. None of us is ever as cut and dried as labels tend to make us seem.

And I'll just climb on down off my soap box now. :b: