I Am Asking That People Don't Tag Me!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

This has been a most interesting thread. I learned that I should not care what others tag me with and that I should only concern myself with what my Lord tags me with. Since He has tagged me as being His, I am happy to be a part of His family!

I am impressed that no one lost their temper in this discussion. Good job everyone. :thumbsup::wub:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

It is human nature to put things into categories.

Heh, if If scientists didn't put every speck they find into a category, they would know what it is!

It is as if we have to put things into categories to make sense out of them.

This includes beliefs people hold to.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

If I said that I thought of myself in term as kjvonlyis or fundamentalist, I would be lying, I never did. I am swimming up stream while most are swimming down stream, that is the position I took to defend the truth, so I guess I should glory in suffering with Christ. I know way too much about the post-modern version to shup up, and that is what people want me to do - shut up.

And here, I believe is the crux of the issue.

People who don't regard the KJV as "God's translation" really, really hate it when those that do treat us like heathens. OK, I'm exaggerating. But still, what you have said here truly grates our skin.

And this, I believe, is why you hate the "KJV only" label because you perceive yourself as the holder of truth and everyone else is wrong; the label points the finger back at you, and you don't like this.

So in essence, it isn't the label that grates you, but the implication that others perceive your view as not God's truth.

Am I correct?

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Good grief if I got all upset about being labeled I wouldnt be here at Worthy! As a Sabbath and festival keeper I get all kinds of labels dumped on me, by many here at Worthy some were down right mean and nasty in their responses also. As so many have said if you put yourself into a category you are going to labeled as such. I'm with Fez and the others as long as He calls me, daughter, child, faithful, I dont care what others label me with some I even wear with gladness. And as the others have pointed out, if you dont want to be labeled then dont stand in staunch defense of something and no one will ever know your position. Or you could learn to take things as they come, defend your opinons without getting defensive.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

If I said that I thought of myself in term as kjvonlyis or fundamentalist, I would be lying, I never did. I am swimming up stream while most are swimming down stream, that is the position I took to defend the truth, so I guess I should glory in suffering with Christ. I know way too much about the post-modern version to shup up, and that is what people want me to do - shut up.

People who don't regard the KJV as "God's translation" really, really hate it when those that do treat us like heathens. OK, I'm exaggerating. But still, what you have said here truly grates our skin.

And this, I believe, is why you hate the "KJV only" label because you perceive yourself as the holder of truth and everyone else is wrong; the label points the finger back at you, and you don't like this.

So in essence, it isn't the label that grates you, but the implication that others perceive your view as not God's truth.

Am I correct?

I have tried very hard not to address the person, but a inaccurate manuscript and post 1900 bible, If I have failed in that area then I do apologize, I am just trying to address the pollution of God's word. If you knew I had a tumor, wouldn't you want me to have surgery to cut it out. It's an untruth to say I've treat you all like a heathen, it is because you are not heathen, but my family, is the reason I post. Who is he that convicts me of sin, do they have a pure conscience regarding me, I have taken extreme heat for my stand.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Am I correct?

I have tried very hard not to address the person, but a inaccurate manuscript and post 1900 bible, If I have failed in that area then I do apologize, I am just trying to address the pollution of God's word. If you knew I had a tumor, wouldn't you want me to have surgery to cut it out. It's an untruth to say I've treat you all like a heathen, it is because you are not heathen, but my family, is the reason I post. Who is he that convicts me of sin, do they have a pure conscience regarding me, I have taken extreme heat for my stand.

Ever heard of the saying, "Steel sharpens Steel?":noidea: You ought to be prepared to give an answer in season and out and it should be seasoned with Grace.:thumbsup:

At this fellowship I have been tagged a "KJV-onlyist" and a "fundamental" two terms that I have never identified with myself. It kind of stings in my soul to be delegated to a fringe group, so I am asking that those ones that would delegate me to a fringe group to be cease and desist because I am your brother. It's just my preference; not angry, it is just a thing I have.

I'm not aware of anything where we've had issues, Monarchy, but if someone wants to call me a Bible Thumper, Holy Roller, Holy Joe, etc. it doesn't bother me when its done by the lost. Jesus told us to expect that kind of thing. In my neighborhood many of the street folks know me because I've shared Christ with them, and that's a good thing. I will also add that I have a habit of using what ever Bible version the person has on hand (since they are given out free to the homeless by many ministries here) if something comes up in a discussion. Why? Because it seems to work best in witnessing for me. For my walk with Christ and what He seems to have me doing at the moment.

Where I have a problem is this: When another believer starts questioning my service to the Lord based on some standard that's not a clear salvation issue. That would include things like whether I've spoken in tongues, have some kind of extreme prosperity gospel type "faith," and yes, KJV Only folks fall into that group as well. I don't really care what Bible version someone uses, but I draw the line when someone calls me or addresses me as a pagan when I don't agree with them. That's when I tend to react badly.

You have not done this to my knowledge, so its not an issue.

Edited by walla299

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Hmm. Tagging would be akin to name calling I suppose. They were called Christians first in Antioch. They were tagged! Which, once again, is just our testimony that other give of us, whether it be a true or false witness. I try to pay attention to 'who' is calling me 'what' for sure. For someone, who is consistently posting error throughout the forum, to tag me with some label, I take it for what it is worth. For someone who I deeply respect their ideas and opinions to tag me something, I take note.

If you get a large following, we shall have to start tagging them Monarchians! :blink:

In His Love,

Gary

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

What stand you take is as important as actually taking a stand.

Honestly, when one stands before Christ, do you really think that He is going to ask you which Bible translation you used or defended? Or is He going to ask you how you lived you life for Him, before others, and how you treated both non-believers and your brothers and sisters in Christ? Some positions we should always defend, no matter what, but a Bible translation is pretty low on the totem pole. All this nonsense about manuscripts and age are bogus. God doesn't care whether you are reading the LXX, the KJV or the ESV as long as you are reading His word, striving to know Him better and trying to live better for Him. The version of what you are reading is way less important than the fact that you are reading it. If you actually think that God is frowning because someone is reading the NIV or the NASB, you are 100% wrong, and spiritually, if you are a seasoned and well-versed Christian, you should already know that. Do you really believe that that is the mindset of Christ?

While I share much of your sentiments here, I feel the need to interject that to someone who is a KJV only believer, they would consider only the KJV to be the true, infallible word of God. I know this because my pastor is of this opinion. I don't happen to share that opinion, but I also respect that it is his and he is entitled to it. And I understand that in his mind, every other version or translation, whatever you want to call them, is corrupted and decidedly NOT infallible. Ergo, he believes that they are in fact NOT the word of God at all. His reasoning for this belief is unimportant. What matters is that it is his belief and the belief of many others.

I certainly agree that God isn't likely to ask us about which Bible translation we read, assuming we aren't pushing one of those awful abominations that deliberately strives to profoundly alter the Word so that it is more palatable to the masses. You know, the sort that remove all references to gender because they're so "offensive." I think God's going to be focused on more important things, like our relationship with His Son.

However, I think that we need to be careful in suggesting that anyone who has this belief or who thinks God does in fact care whether they are reading the KJV, NIV, ESV, etc. is somehow not spiritually mature or "seasoned." If it is their conviction that it is wrong to trust any other Bible version, then we have no right to berate them for it. By the same token, I believe they have no right to suggest those who don't share their beliefs or convictions on the issue are somehow "less" spiritual or mature.

I can't help but be reminded of a preacher I once knew who absolutely railed against Promise Keepers. (Remember them?) He belittled them for their mission to help men learn what it meant to be good husbands and fathers, and harped on Amos 3:3 (Can two walk together except they be agreed?) which he regularly misquoted as, "How can two walk together except they be agreed?" (This was hardly the only issue he was emphatic, yet absurdly wrong about, but that's an entirely different discussion.) My husband and I were discussion one of these rants on the way home one day and could only shake our heads in amazement at his deliberate misunderstanding. First, many men do need Godly counsel from other men on the correct role of a husband and father. They need it because they didn't get it from their own fathers. Second, even if his misrepresentation of Amos 3:3 were correct, the fact was that Promise Keepers do agree with one another in the "Seven Promises" that are the core of their mission.

The point here is that he was so hardened to his position that he had no room to even share basic fellowship with those who didn't share it. I think this is a very dangerous place for a Christian to get to. My current pastor may be KJV Only, but he doesn't accuse me of not being a "good Christian" simply because I don't happen to share that opinion of his. And believe me when I say he's just about as fundamental as they come. Ultimately, we must allow one another to live by our own convictions and do our best to not get upset or offended when we don't all agree on every single detail.

I realize that many see these "small details" as the first step toward abandoning the core principles of the Bible as a whole. And certainly we must be on guard to ensure that doesn't happen. But becoming frustrated and insulting of one another because one believes in KJV only, or women being forbidden from speaking in church or being pastors or men having long hair while another holds a different or opposing view is pointless and ultimately harmful to the body as a whole.

NOTE: I am NOT pointing fingers at anyone in particular, so if you're out there reading this and feel like I'm talking to you, be assured that I'm not. And then consider if perhaps you need to do a bit of self evaluation to determine if you need to work on this issue. I am in truth speaking to myself, as I have let my emotions get the better of me more than once and had either another member here or the Holy Spirit itself call me on it so that I found myself feeling ashamed of my angry responses and needing to apologize for them.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/18/1979

You know this has been a most interesting thread. And I am going to try and stick my oar in again :D.

It is in our nature to label a person on certain characteristics that they display, in truth my handle came from such a label.

If we allow these labels to effect us, then we in effect confirm those labels in other peoples eyes. For example, Monarchy has stressed he hates being called a KJVO kind of guy, yet the more he has argued against such a label, the more it makes me think that it is an apt label (just using it as an example man. As far as I am concerned you are a fellow bro who prefers a particular translation above all others).

So what to do about it? Well as childish as this may seem, there is an old kids rhyme that I think does apply here; "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words cannot hurt me".

I personally have been given more labels than i care to think about, and most of them have not been attractive or good, and when I allowed them to hurt me I would get all agnry and just feed the fire. once I learned just to ignore the labels, then I began to see that people would be willing to change that label once they began to know me.