• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

As of late, finances have been a harsh reality for my husband and me. He has been working for nearly two years now at the same Restaurant as a chef....and he is still not being give above part time hours. He manages to get full time hours by working six days a week or taking any double shifts he can when they are presented. His checks...are bi-weekly and barely enough to pay for rent and bills. There is nothing really left after that to get anything. Be it clothes for our boys, household cleaning materials, or otherwise.

Please....before making any assumptions, keep in mind that these are things we do NOT have:

Cable

Basic Television

House Phone

Washer

Dryer (Clothes are washed in bathtub and hung up sort of Chinese Laundry...I guess you could say by me.)

We DO have:

A single vehicle (Family vehicle, thanks to taxes)

DVDs

Netflix

Two cheap Cell phones on monthly low rate plans which sometimes we sacrifice one to make it by which are also cheaper than a single house phone in our area (Sad, yes, but true)

He has been presented with a possible, not certain job opportunity out of state somewhere else. This would mean us packing up basically the clothes on our backs and essentials while getting rid of much of everything else. This would also mean possibly moving a long distance away from both his side and my side of the family.

Otherwise, he is considering finding himself another job on the side just to make sure we can get by better on our own. I worry for him that, this may be too much and have talked about doing the same...getting a job, but him and I both decided....our boys need their mother. What do we do? Prayer is something that I am going to be really spending a lot of time doing to the Lord over the next week or so. I have thought of fasting, but my body weight is....well....perhaps lower than it should be for my age and height.

If anyone has some words of wisdom to pass our way, they would be much appreciated. Thank you....

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

You and your family will be in my prayers.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Dani, I am by no means financially savvy or in a well to do position as I have extensive medical debt that eats up an extra income I receive. What I do have is a basic understanding that as I have sought to pick up my cross and follow after Christ seeking the righteousness of God in my life above any and all other things, God has provided all of my families needs. It is amazing how my wife and I can have a conversation with one another and God proves he was there listening by providing for the things we were discussing. And we never asked him to do so, he just volunteered. When I needed a truck, God not only guided me to an inexpensive one, he caused a man to give me $2000 of the $2500 that it cost. God working in my life and fulfilling his promises he made has increased my faith as well as my diligence to follow after his Son. I understand that God could make all of my bills go away but has chosen not to do so. He has chosen to supply all of my needs in his time as he desires them to be supplied.

Any way I can help you guys get a washer and dryer? There are usually places around that have used ones for as little as $100 a unit and therefore you can get a set for $200. Do you live anywhere near Indiana? Right now the only extra appliance I have lying around is a refrigerator. I admire the fact that you will wash clothes in a bath tub but would like to help you put an end to that.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Dani,

I dont have a lot of words of advice except to seek His word in prayer. My husband is our sole bread winner also, I am disabled so working would be pretty hard for me. My husband works by word of mouth, he is a plumber and here in Nevada any kind of construction, even service work is hard to come by. Our kids are grown even if one still lives with us! lol so we dont have the added expenses as you guys do.

Father Yahweh I earnestly ask for your covering and protection over Dani and her family, I ask Father that relief comes to them, that theirs and our prayers are answered, that Your will be done in their lives. Look after your daughter and son as they strive to bring their kids up in Your light. Amein

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,264
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, I don't know how much wisdom it might be, but I can tell you what we did in that same situation back in 1972. I went to a an employment agency with a very good reputation and explained our situation. We wanted to have a family, but knew in doing so we'd be in the place you are now. So I set a professional job hunter find me the best job I was qualified to do..... 40 years later we're retired and doing pretty good. Raised two kids and managed to keep out of debt and retired a year or so ago.

It's hard to find a really good job, for good jobs don't hire off the street; they go through people who screen folks so that they only talk to people who are qualified. If your husband has a good reputation, he may well find something that he has no idea exists.

As for me, I went to work for Xerox..... and I had no idea what it was before the agency set me up with the interview, and they never advertised for employment.

Dani, I am by no means financially savvy or in a well to do position as I have extensive medical debt that eats up an extra income I receive. What I do have is a basic understanding that as I have sought to pick up my cross and follow after Christ seeking the righteousness of God in my life above any and all other things, God has provided all of my families needs. It is amazing how my wife and I can have a conversation with one another and God proves he was there listening by providing for the things we were discussing. And we never asked him to do so, he just volunteered. When I needed a truck, God not only guided me to an inexpensive one, he caused a man to give me $2000 of the $2500 that it cost. God working in my life and fulfilling his promises he made has increased my faith as well as my diligence to follow after his Son. I understand that God could make all of my bills go away but has chosen not to do so. He has chosen to supply all of my needs in his time as he desires them to be supplied.

Any way I can help you guys get a washer and dryer? There are usually places around that have used ones for as little as $100 a unit and therefore you can get a set for $200. Do you live anywhere near Indiana? Right now the only extra appliance I have lying around is a refrigerator. I admire the fact that you will wash clothes in a bath tub but would like to help you put an end to that.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

Gary,

Thank you for your generousity. There are some places. The only thing is....even $100 is something we just do not have that can be thrown that way. Rent alone...is equal to one of my husband's checks. We are going to try to look into some ministries that are giving to families like ours. There is a church that was willing to help us, but we just do not feel right asking for help. Especially when all we can give in return is some of our old clothes, canned goods, and nothing...that could equal up to the amount of a single washer or dryer. This is...just really embarrassing. Already on goverment assistance and feel like we are less of parents because of it. We really do want to get to a point where we will not need help anymore. Just...it is taking forever to get there.

Thank you....again. Thank you everyone too...for reading....praying...everything.

May God Bless You

Dani

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1

Dani,

My advice would be never to let an opportunity pass you by. I have at times been very loyal and set in my ways and watched a great chance pass me by. I think that its important that you dont get caught up in materialistic things in what you dont have. I am as you know too frantically looking for work and I know my intentions in getting this new job is to start over and have one that allows me to have a good work life balance. I think in a similar way its important that as a family you make the move to a new state. You have to work out how grand the benefits would be in taking up an opportunity in another state.

Weigh up the pros and cons, Its tough to not have a endless source of income but I think its important that you keep the most important thing to you (family) at the center of it all.

Edited by freeinnocentspirit

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Hi Dani,

I too was always and still am a stay at home mom...it wasn't always easy...but I was convicted just as you are, that *I* was the best one to mother my children, no one else. And you are soooo right about this. There is nothing wrong with living with just your basic needs met...i know that society tries so hard to convince us otherwise, but the truth is, as long as you are eating, have a good roof over your heads, and a happy disposition, you are doing great...especially if you have Christ in your life!

Some things you can do, however, AND stay home with your children, are-

In home childcare...provide quality care for other moms who have to work. I did this when my children for young. You can even do just before and after school care...then your days are still yours but you make a good amout for those couple of hours a day.

Do you sew? Can you perhaps do hemming etc for others.

Can you do cakes? Special occasion cakes

Paint?

The point is, take your talent and use it to your advantage. And do it from home. There is alot of free advertising out there. The Proverbs 31 woman used her talents to make money to buy land and feed and cloth her family...so can you

I will be praying that the Lord shows you what YOU have to offer:)

• 3 weeks later...

Did your husband decide to take the job opportunity out of state? Something has got to give if you can not afford basic medication for your son. I understand you wanting to be a SAHM. But is that really smart when you can't afford medicine for your child? Could you not work part time during the hours your husband is home, at least until you get on your feet? Sometimes we have to do what we have to in order to take care of those we are responsible for.

Please know that I do not mean this as criticism. I am genuinely concerned.

I am a work at home mother for Avon already and he is already looking for a second job. The internet sadly is required for my job. So that is why we have it aside from it being the best means to keep in touch with family. Otherwise I am working on possibly getting some flyers out to maybe bake some cakes for a small fee. Especially seeing as unless you bake one yourself from home...you are going to have to pay anywhere from $15-$40 for a cake here depending on how many you need to serve. It has already been decided that he does not want me working outside the home as I have two small boys. One with special needs who really needs some form of stability and regularity at home as too much change overwhelms him.

Something has got to give....the only luxury we have.....is really the internet if even that...as it is our children's only means to watch some of their favorite shows as we do not have basic television or cable. We do not go out at all. What can I say...? My husband barely gets full time hours even after pushing for them. He has been working for the same place for two years now which is longer than more than half the staff, and still gets treated like a part time new employee. Hence half the reason why he is out looking for another job to have along side this one.....

Think I really need to stop trying to explain myself....it is a bad habit....and no matter what I say...some people are going to see us as less than hard working people.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I know so many families looking for safe, loving and consistent child-care for their kids while they work. Have you ever thought of offering babysitting services for others? Your children would derive a lot of pleasure with having other children around and you could supplement your income. Also, what about an outdoor vegetable garden or container garden to grow some vegetables? Sometimes if you cannot cut anything else from the budget, your only alternative is to add to the assets with a job. It would be an opportunity to have your children with you and to help others. Blessings!