Bold Believer

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

God's tabernacle is often discussed in relation to the Older Covenant with its types and shadows, but has anyone ever given thought to the body-temple?

As the tabernacle had 3 parts (Outer Court/Inner Court/Holy of Holies), so our body has as well.

The outer court is the flesh. Anyone is allowed access, it is seen by all. It is expected to be kept clean by the priest(s), but it is exposed to the elements in our world and can be stained and defiled.

The inner court is the soul. The thoughts of a man appear to be centered here. It too is expected to be kept clean by the priest(s). While covered by the outer court so that not everyone or everything can reach it, it too can be defiled, mainly by the priests' lack of discipline to keep out defiling elements, but also by others who manage to get through the outer court.

The Most Holy Place or Holy of Holies is the spirit. It is here that God dwells in the form of the Holy Spirit. As a believer, this portion of us is secured by Cherubim from defilement precisely because God dwells there. Access to the High Priest occurs here, as Christ is at God's right hand as High Priest, ever making intercession for us.

Are unbelievers also temples? Absolutely, because this is what they were created to be. Since unbelievers are godless in terms of knowing the Living God, their Holy of Holies is empty, OR...it is defiled by the presence of a heathen god, either what the unbelievers worships and holds most dear, or by a demonic entity in rare cases.

I must have to say this is a very creative doctrine. I'm not sure if you heard this from somewhere or you came up with it all on your own. But to me either way it has been overly spiritualized. Man is a three part being. These three parts are body, soul and spirit. These three parts of man has nothing to do with the outer court, inner court or the Holy of holies. The tabernacle was not a type or shadow concerning our human bodies being the temple of the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 - And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I wouldn't call it a doctrine but more of an understanding of who we are in Christ. Types illuminate the things we know from clear scripture. Our Bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit. The church is a temple of The Holy Spirit. Pagans had temples with an inner, outer courts and holy of hollies. It wasn't anything unknown in that world to have a temple with these principles but the difference was in the details.

As the church in the west compromises with other religions it defiles the temple. Many may see Christianity as just another way, just another temple but the difference is in the details. Ordination of homosexuals, defilement. Having Imams speak in the pulpits, defilement. Placing business models upon the sheep, defilement. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth. Same thing happens to us as believers as we eat spiritual things given to us to eat. Our body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. Remember the Bereans, they were more noble than those in Thessalonica because they excepted the word with readiness of mind but they searched the scriptures to see if it were so.

Elisha and the sons of the prophets had a problem with some stew during a famine. One of the sons of the prophets found wild gourds and put them in the pot. Realizing the stew was bad they cried out "there's death in the pot" and Elisha told them to "poor in the grain." The lesson being pouring in the word when we discover wrong in our spiritual food will heal our churches and ourselves. We turn to the cross, we turn to the word of God.

The verse you mentioned states we have a body, soul and spirit and as Jesus prayed in John 17:17 "Sanctify them in the truth, thy word is truth." Just as the Jews were not to defile the Temple of the LORD, we are not to defile the holy habitation of our Lord the church. It isn't a doctrine but a principle to extend the same to our bodies. It is an insight to help us realize and walk in the way the apostle Peter exhorted us to "Be ye holy as the Lord your God is holy." These things give us further understanding and hope in our walk.

Gods people in the Old Covenant had physical wars, ours are spiritual, They had swords of iron, our sword is the Word of God, they had a physical temple, ours is a dynamic temple a spiritual house which we are the stones that make it up. We can certainly over spiritualize texts but we must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Jesus was constantly speaking spiritually and the people had a hard time grasping His sayings. There is much meaning in the things of old for us today. But you are right about making doctrine from typology. We should never base a doctrine on typology but use typology to illuminate doctrine.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

If God wanted me to understand that man in his entirety was to be understood as soul, spirit, body the concept would be far greater than one verse. How many others are there to go along with this one to substantiate the 'doctrine' of man being these three parts. Man was said to be created in the image of God, yet God has no body. How does that work?

Gary

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  131
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,188
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  8

God's tabernacle is often discussed in relation to the Older Covenant with its types and shadows, but has anyone ever given thought to the body-temple?

As the tabernacle had 3 parts (Outer Court/Inner Court/Holy of Holies), so our body has as well.

The outer court is the flesh. Anyone is allowed access, it is seen by all. It is expected to be kept clean by the priest(s), but it is exposed to the elements in our world and can be stained and defiled.

The inner court is the soul. The thoughts of a man appear to be centered here. It too is expected to be kept clean by the priest(s). While covered by the outer court so that not everyone or everything can reach it, it too can be defiled, mainly by the priests' lack of discipline to keep out defiling elements, but also by others who manage to get through the outer court.

The Most Holy Place or Holy of Holies is the spirit. It is here that God dwells in the form of the Holy Spirit. As a believer, this portion of us is secured by Cherubim from defilement precisely because God dwells there. Access to the High Priest occurs here, as Christ is at God's right hand as High Priest, ever making intercession for us.

Are unbelievers also temples? Absolutely, because this is what they were created to be. Since unbelievers are godless in terms of knowing the Living God, their Holy of Holies is empty, OR...it is defiled by the presence of a heathen god, either what the unbelievers worships and holds most dear, or by a demonic entity in rare cases.

I never found the explanation of the Temple of God written in parts that way in the bible. This is your way only... to how you see it .

2 Corinthians 6: 16

And what agreement has the temple of God with idols ?

For you are the temple of the living God. As God said;

" I will dwell in them

and walk among them.

I will be their God ,

And they shall be My people. "

1 Corinthians 6 : 19 -20

19- Or do you not know that your body is the temple

of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you

have from God, and you are not your own ?

20- For you were bought at a price;

therefore glorify God in your body

and in your spirit, which are God's.

Acts 7 : 48

"However , the Most High does not

dwell in temples made with hands,

If God wanted me to understand that man in his entirety was to be understood as soul, spirit, body the concept would be far greater than one verse. How many others are there to go along with this one to substantiate the 'doctrine' of man being these three parts. Man was said to be created in the image of God, yet God has no body. How does that work?

Gary

For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

This isn't a new concept, I have a copy of a book from early last century that speaks about this.

I've always looked at it as basic.

We are body, soul and spirit.

We are called the temple of the Holy Spirit.

The temple has three parts.

It doesn't change or add to anything doctrinally. It does help in way of an analogy to understand the need for proper spiritual food.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Gary

Hi gary, do you not think that you have #1) a body, #2) a soul and #3) a spirit? do you not think that those three parts make up who you are as a whole created being? If you think you are any different than a body soul or spirit then I am most curious to know more of your thoughts on the matter.

I can give you examples that shows how the three parts are used to sin from the book of......

Galatians 5:19-21 - Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleaness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murder, drunkenness, revellings, and such like:

All of the sins that are listed above being the work and lusts of the flesh. In order to commit any such sins. A person would have to yield give or use their own body in order to commit certain of the sins listed. A person would also have to yield their spirit to commit some of these types of sins mentioned. It will be a persons soul or will that will determine or decide if they will commit and do the works of unrighteousness. Being the lusts of the flesh the sins within their own hearts which will cause them to reap eternal damnation. It also is the soul a persons will that will determine or decide if they will obey God yielding or giving their body and spirit over to the works of righteousness. Which is walking in the Spirit doing what is right which will cause them to reap everlasting life. It is the will our souls that the fight between the body and spirit is over. A person has to guard and watch over their own soul keeping check so that the will of God prevails in both their body and spirit. A person can use their body and spirit to commit sin or they can use their body and spirit to do the things that are right. It is the soul part of our being that determines what our walk in this will be.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I have always like the scripture (my words), it is not what you ingest, it is what you express that is important.

Only purity should come out of a temple, although, through our fallen nature, sometimes what we allow in is not pure (sometimes in a temple we should allow that which is unclean in, and purify it before exit?).

I have always like the scripture (my words), it is not what you ingest, it is what you express that is important.

Only purity should come out of a temple, although, through our fallen nature, sometimes what we allow in is not pure (sometimes in a temple we should allow that which is unclean in, and purify it before exit?).

Agreed, that's why it's so important to pick up the manna that falls every day. We have contact with the world, can't help that, we are in the world but not of it. Pouring in the grain is what keeps us, sanctifies us, any one of us can testify to what happens when we neglect His word and also fellowship as in washing each others feet. Our feet having direct contact with the world all day and isn't it something the days we come into fellowship and all the burdens of the world seem to wash away.

Edited by ZEMKE

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

I think this is what's called bringing a spiritual application out of a text (I forgot what type of teaching that is called lol ). Scripture does not teach that our body or inner man is the Holiest of all, that is Heaven itself, where our great High Priest is on the right hand of the Father.However I don't know if it is quite that complicated as the OP presented, but it is a good teaching and can help one apply the biblical truth that we are Holy because God dwells in us. Anywhere God dwells is Holy grounds and must be consecrated to him and his purpose.

Rom 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

Gary

Here is how I was taught concerning man as having three parts that completes the whole. Our Body is the vessel, the instrument. It can be used for good or evil.

Rom 6:12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts,

Rom 6:13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as

The Soul is the seat of emotions. In most instances the Soul is tied to some type of emotion.

Mat_12:18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

Mat_26:38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.

Mar_14:34 And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.

Luk_1:46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord,

Luk_12:19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

Joh_12:27 Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.

The spirit is that part that is the inner most being. Your thought life, your ability to reason out as a man. It makes us distinct from animals and other creations. It is the "material" part of man that makes him a man. Unlike other earthly life forms, somehow because we have a spirit (of man) from God, we have a consciousness or the ability to be conscious of God.

1Co 2:11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.

Pro 20:27 The spirit of man is the lamp of the LORD, Searching all the innermost parts of his being.

Job 32:8 "But it is a spirit in man, And the breath of the Almighty gives them understanding.

Job 35:11 Who teaches us more than the beasts of the earth And makes us wiser than the birds of the heavens?'

Rom 2:14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves,

Rom 2:15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

God is concerned with our entire well being. As Christians we should not fret, or fear , or worry. (Soul)

Our whole duty as human beings is to worship God. To please him in all things Bringing every thought into captivity to him. (spirit)

And we then yield up our bodies as living sacrifices to him, doing those things that are pleasing to him. Denying ungodliness and worldy lusts in this present age. Hating the world and abstaining from fleshly lusts. (Body).

1Th 5:23 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Gary

Hi gary, do you not think that you have #1) a body, #2) a soul and #3) a spirit? do you not think that those three parts make up who you are as a whole created being? If you think you are any different than a body soul or spirit then I am most curious to know more of your thoughts on the matter.

I can give you examples that shows how the three parts are used to sin from the book of......

Galatians 5:19-21 - Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleaness, lasciviousness, idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, envyings, murder, drunkenness, revellings, and such like:

All of the sins that are listed above being the work and lusts of the flesh. In order to commit any such sins. A person would have to yield give or use their own body in order to commit certain of the sins listed. A person would also have to yield their spirit to commit some of these types of sins mentioned. It will be a persons soul or will that will determine or decide if they will commit and do the works of unrighteousness. Being the lusts of the flesh the sins within their own hearts which will cause them to reap eternal damnation. It also is the soul a persons will that will determine or decide if they will obey God yielding or giving their body and spirit over to the works of righteousness. Which is walking in the Spirit doing what is right which will cause them to reap everlasting life. It is the will our souls that the fight between the body and spirit is over. A person has to guard and watch over their own soul keeping check so that the will of God prevails in both their body and spirit. A person can use their body and spirit to commit sin or they can use their body and spirit to do the things that are right. It is the soul part of our being that determines what our walk in this will be.

Hi OC, it isn't a question of whether we have a body or not. It is a question of whether we are our body or not. I do not need this body to exist except in the temporal realm. I don't cease to exist when my body dies. To the contrary, my life continues on just as Abel who spoke though his body had died. Our bodies are just vessels that we are in. We are, just as you say, responsible for what goes on in them as we are ultimately the ones who control the body. The texts that I see tell me that though the body die, I shall continue to live and at some point be given a new body upon the resurrection from the dead. At that point I will be able to once again interact on my own in a body given to me but this time free of sin. The rest of the time in between bodies, I believe I will simply be 'in Christ' awaiting the resurrection. I believe that I am created in the image of God and God has no body. I was simply given a body for the purpose of being in the 'form' that God chose me to live in. He could have made me an angel and given me an angelic body but he did not. This is the way I am led to see it.

Gary