Fez

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

No. We were never slapped, beaten, abused by my folks in anyway. We got the "Look". Even though neither of them, who were strong Christians, ever displayed anger or craziness.... there was some kind of wonder in all of us, if they could suddenly lose their minds and drop us off a building or something worse. We got a lot of time-outs... lots of lectures (talking to's as Mamma would say). Mamma was a master of guilt trips and always made you take a long long walk in other people's shoes ... I know I used to drive her crazy when I became a mom - I was "fussy"... she told me countless times I would one day regret being a 'yell-er' and being fussy .... I did and do.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Oh we got spanked with a wooden paddle when we were really really naughty. That is until my little brother stole the paddle and hid it, we never did find it. Then it became a wooden spoon. OUCH. anyway, we turned out ok. . .

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

Hubby reminded me last night, when I mentioned this thread, of a story I know he'd told me before but I'd forgotten about. He said he usually tried to run when he knew his mama was gonna smack him with something. Said one time he actually climbed a tree to get away from her. He said she was standing beneath him with a broom telling him he better get down there. He said he'd never come down, which she of course knew wasn't true. Said she went back in the house and went about her business and he finally got down, then got his rear end warmed for whatever he'd done in the first place, plus some extra for running. Boy, he was a stubborn kid. Still is a stubborn man. LOL His mama told me years ago that the best way to get him - or his daddy for that matter - to do something was to tell them not to. :21:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/20/1946

My mom would switch us for most anything and then later tell Dad who then gave us the belt so we usually got two for one wrong. went to school a million

time with rwd welts on legs and or back.

Oh that reminds me... when I was growing up almost all adults had authority over you. You submitted to their authority. You answered them yes ma'am yes sir no ma'am no sir. No exceptions. So if I got caught in the old man's apple tree next door (the one he told me to stay out of) he would take firm hold of my ear and drag me to my folks' who took me by that same ear while apologizing to the neighbor modified with embarrassment and once the door closed the beatings began for 1. disobeying an adult 2. for embarrassing my parents in front of the neighbors 3. general principles...

Today a kid does terrible things the only recourse is to call the police....

Which reminds me of the worst beating I think I ever had and my having to work off the replacement plate glass window I broke and ran and the police were called in and we (there were three of us) made up lies and then we confessed all. Only for the Grace of God... man oh man...

I was raised where we were expected to respect and mind every adult in our lives. If we needed to be 'tanned" as Daddy would say, the adult would do it. My Daddy would tan a neighbor kid as fast as he would us. Respect for elders was universal in my world. The only exception is if we felt the adult was telling us to do something we knew Daddy would not approve of and then we were to tell Daddy.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  348
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2

I forgot in school...

The principle and teachers had the power to paddle. In my day...Mr. Robinson (the principle) used the rubber from a tire shaped as a paddle...its name was John Henry. The teachers used strips of fan belts and rulers. The girls could only wear dresses or skirts when I attend school. We had to sit in a chair and they would whip us across our legs...boys backside. Rulers were used across our knuckles.

"John Henry" Every school needs a John Henry!!! "John Henry for school superintendent." Education with a fix.

:thumbsup:

That reminded me of our principals paddle also known as "The Board Of Corrections". OOOHHHH MY!!!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

I got it when I needed it; never when I didn't. It was that at one point, you could find in the five and dime, a paddle. It was a 1 x 4, shellacked/varnished on one side, plain on the other. A handle was carved into it. That shellacked side usually had a photo or drawing of a kid bent over awaiting his punishment and some witty epithet on it. That is what I got paddled with on my (still) ample butt. Through the pants, never bare. Dad was a Marine and had been through Guadalcanal. He never physically spanked me, mainly because he didn't trust himself and knew what his hands could do. His words were able to get me to do what he desired.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,168
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Yes, My dad with his leather belt when we were disobedient.

But he always held us afterward and prayed with us about it.

Wow me 2.... Love, Steven

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

My mom spanked me with a flyswatter once. I don't remember my dad spanking me. I never felt love from my mom, she would attack when she was mad, she reminded me of a child who lost her temper. She was out of control, emotionally abusive, and physically abusive. I had to drink liquid soap once while my mom and younger sister watched and laughed at me.Every time I threw it up I had to drink it again. So....I am disciplining with love, the old school way! I try not to spank when I am angry, but when my 3 year old says no more than twice with an attitude she gets a swat and timeout. But I always hold and hug afterwards and I tell them that I discipline their behaivor but I love them, and God put me in charge.

I bought this book by James Dobson called The New Dare to Discipline, and it is awesome! Parents are too afraid to discipline these days, they try and negotiate and 'talk' to their children, but that doesn't work. They need to know their boundaries and who the authority is from the start. When parents are passive and don't correct their children, their children grow up despising their parents and any other authority figure including God. My best friend is in this situation right now with her 2 year old, she doesn't discipline him at all, and he is turning into a brat. The other day he grabbed my cell phone and ran out into the middle of the street and smashed it on the ground! All she did was pick him up and put him back in the yard and say "no". There are no boundaries set for him.

My sister is a good example of how these children can end up being, my mom never disciplined her and now she can barely take care of herself, she can be very selfish and spoiled. And I am the result of emotional abuse, I had alot of mental issues and anger issues before I found Jesus. But, I admit that typing this brings it back the memories a bit. My situation could have been worse though, my birthmom (I was adopted) was way worse, I was tortured and beat and sexually abused before she dumped us off at the hospital and never came back. So I also suffered from post traumatic stress disorder, still have nightmares sometimes. But I thank God that he brought me out of that, and now I am transformed through Christ, and I have never been happier! Amen!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

we got spanked til we cried then spanked for crying then spanked til we could not cry then spanked for not crying

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  41,168
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

we got spanked til we cried then spanked for crying then spanked til we could not cry then spanked for not crying

Ok then then! Can we call ya spanky :red_smile: Love, Steven