carlos123

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  4

I have been reading Matthew 6 lately and thought that talking about what it says respecting worry and trusting God for provision might make for some interesting and hopefully, edifying, discussion.

I have learned some things about what Matthew 6 talks of though I need and want to learn more about what the Lord meant to say so if anyone wants to add anything to what I say please do.

Here is the passage in question...

Matthew 6:24 NASB

“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

“For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

There are a couple of things that stuck out to me when I read the above this morning. Initially I had been thinking that perhaps working might not even be necessary if our faith could trust in God to provide such that He would provide for us as He does for the birds.

I am still thinking about the connection between work and trusting God. We cannot rely on ourselves and in God at the same time. If we rely on God we do not rely on ourselves but that also doesn't mean we sit around and do nothing at all and wait on God to drop whatever we need into our lap. Relying on self and relying on God are perspectives of the heart.

We can work and earn money and meet our needs while relying on ourselves the whole time.

We can work and earn money and meet our needs while relying on God the whole time.

Worry is also something that happens in the heart. I think the main thrust of what Jesus said is not NOT worry.

But what is the difference between worry and concern? The former is obviously not right...to worry I mean but is it okay to be concerned? If that is okay when does it cross into worry?

Will God provide for us only if we work? What about when we have ourselves not done all that we should have with respect to work? Will God make up the difference out of His mercy?

What about the unbeliever who has lived as a bum and in laziness up to the point of becoming a Christian? Will he continue to suffer need as a result of actions he might not have taken the very week before becoming a Christian with respect to looking for work? Can he trust God to provide for him despite his unbelieving failures of the past week?

Is God's provision completely dependent on God or is it a mix of God providing for us as we do our part to help ourselves?

I'd like to discuss these things if anyone has any insight on any of this.

Carlos

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  628
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  08/14/1984

We can work and earn money and meet our needs while relying on God the whole time.

This is something my husband and I are working toward as we already are on some forms of assistance and feel bad that we are actually in need of such services to help us better provide for our children.

I am the one who likely struggles more with this issue to as every time I ask if he is going to be able to manage or tell my husband that I am worried about our finances he says: It will all be alright. I got it covered.

Sometimes wonder if he has more faith than I do in that department and truly working towards trusting God with that more as every time I have sought Him in prayer in our hardest times, He has always been there to see us through.

Guest shiloh357
Will God provide for us only if we work? What about when we have ourselves not done all that we should have with respect to work? Will God make up the difference out of His mercy?

What about the unbeliever who has lived as a bum and in laziness up to the point of becoming a Christian? Will he continue to suffer need as a result of actions he might not have taken the very week before becoming a Christian with respect to looking for work? Can he trust God to provide for him despite his unbelieving failures of the past week?

Is God's provision completely dependent on God or is it a mix of God providing for us as we do our part to help ourselves?

There is a line bewtween faith and presumption. If a person is able-bodied, they really should work. To expect God to simply provide while we sit around and do nothing is presumptuous. God provides, but even Scripture it says if a man does not work, he should not eat. We should trust God to provide what we need and that includes providing some kind of gainful employment.

There are those whom God provides for who cannot work due to injury or infirmity, but for those of us who can work we should work and trust the Lord to provide in the process. God does not condone laziness. Proverbs 6: 6-11 gives a strong exhortation to work. Working and saving for the future is a biblical admonishment. It is wise to be industrious and to save up in times of plenty for the lean times. The Bible puts a high premium on the practical wisdom of hard work.

There is a line bewtween faith and presumption. If a person is able-bodied, they really should work. To expect God to simply provide while we sit around and do nothing is presumptuous. God provides, but even Scripture it says if a man does not work, he should not eat. We should trust God to provide what we need and that includes providing some kind of gainful employment.

There are those whom God provides for who cannot work due to injury or infirmity, but for those of us who can work we should work and trust the Lord to provide in the process. God does not condone laziness. Proverbs 6: 6-11 gives a strong exhortation to work. Working and saving for the future is a biblical admonishment. It is wise to be industrious and to save up in times of plenty for the lean times. The Bible puts a high premium on the practical wisdom of hard work.

I agree Shiloh except for the thought of saving for the future. I am not sure that such is biblical at least as far as what Jesus taught and New Testament Christians practiced is concerned.

I guess the issue is whether or not we are trusting in God or trusting in our retirement accounts to meet future needs.

Carlos

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Combine those verses with Philippians 4:6-7

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Matthew 6 must be understood in it's complete context, which is the sermon on the mount. This discourse builds precept upon precept as Jesus is teaching his disciples who they must be and what they can expect in return. It ends when he explains to them in no uncertain terms that a disciple must actually do the things he taught in order to have a firm foundation for his house.

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

Seeking the kingdom and His righteousness is the precursory requirement for having your meals and clothing provided unto you. So one has to develop what those two things consist of in order to know if one must absolutely get a job in order to make ends meet.

There are many passages in scripture that explain who inherits and how they inherit the kingdom of God, just as there are many passages that state who will not and why not. A cursory run down of these scriptures would be telling of what is involved in the process.

Jesus Christ is the righteousness of God manifest in the flesh. Seeking His righteousness is quite simple. Love God with all your heart, mind, soul and body, while loving your neighbor as yourself. So you live a selfless life unto God and God in turn provides every need you might have.

If one is presenting their body as a living sacrifice unto God, then it only makes sense that God would supply all the needs of that person, whether it included having a job or not. One who preaches the gospel is allowed by God to live off the gospel.

There are some verses that speak to working for a purpose as well. Were you a thief? God commands that those who formerly were thieves to find something to do with their hands that they may have to give to them that have not.

We work for God in his garden, which is the earth. We are here to bring forth fruit out of the garden unto him. Adam was told that he would have to till the ground to provide food for his family by the sweat of his brow until he returned to the dust of the ground himself. To make a move from tilling the actual earth to produce food for eating to tilling the soil of the hearts of men and producing fruit for God is only a change in career. Its still working. Doing the work of an evangelist, teacher etc. I personally pray to our Father and ask him to remove me from the carnal workforce and plant me in the spiritual one full time.

Considering the fact that we are about to experience an upheaval in the norm as God switches the light off for the gentile church and sends them into great tribulation to purify that which has lost its desire for purity, this topic is going to be one most will wish they were settled upon before they had to learn about it the hard way. Many will wonder what they are supposed to have to eat as they wait for some secret rapture in the night that doesn't manifest as they believed it would. Those who have been working diligently to live up to the call they have received will be here to aid the lost Christians to the obedience unto righteousness that they didn't crave before the trials began.

I have give up worrying about provisions or needs. The revelation of God's sovereignty has been applied unto my heart. I know that as long as I am doing my part, seeking entrance into the kingdom and His righteousness, that he will not fail to do his. But as is always it is all about the 'works', the 'works' that many want to say are unnecessary. The things of God are conditional not unconditional. Always have been always will be. Jesus, the same yesterday, today and forever.

In Jesus Name,

Gary

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/15/1990

I'm jobless and i've tried alot but couldn't make one.. and i'm so worried knowing not what to do... I'm so sick & tired of sitting in home... i'm trusting Him to provide a job for me... Don't know what to do......?

I'm jobless and i've tried alot but couldn't make one.. and i'm so worried knowing not what to do... I'm so sick & tired of sitting in home... i'm trusting Him to provide a job for me... Don't know what to do......?

Hi Nitish.

I would suggest trusting Him to provide for your needs not a job. I am not aware of any verses that promise us a job per se (though there is one that says to make it our ambition to work with our hands).

If you trust Him for a job and don't get one you may get frustrated and miss the provision that God has for you in regard to your needs.

It is our needs that He promises to provide for those who seek His Kingdom and His righteousness first in their lives. He does not promise to provide for us in any one way in particular though normally that would be through a job of course. But sometimes as may be the case in your situation a job may be next to impossible to get (depending on your circumstances).

Incidentally Nitish I hope you don't think I am being too forward to ask you this but it's important that your trust of Him to provide for your needs be based on the solid foundation of trusting Him for the forgiveness of your sins. May I ask...are you a Christian? I mean one who has trusted in God through the Gospel and has surrendered to His rule in their life and follows Jesus as His disciple as a result.

Carlos

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/15/1990

Hi Nitish.

I would suggest trusting Him to provide for your needs not a job. I am not aware of any verses that promise us a job per se (though there is one that says to make it our ambition to work with our hands).

If you trust Him for a job and don't get one you may get frustrated and miss the provision that God has for you in regard to your needs.

It is our needs that He promises to provide for those who seek His Kingdom and His righteousness first in their lives. He does not promise to provide for us in any one way in particular though normally that would be through a job of course. But sometimes as may be the case in your situation a job may be next to impossible to get (depending on your circumstances).

Incidentally Nitish I hope you don't think I am being too forward to ask you this but it's important that your trust of Him to provide for your needs be based on the solid foundation of trusting Him for the forgiveness of your sins. May I ask...are you a Christian? I mean one who has trusted in God through the Gospel and has surrendered to His rule in their life and follows Jesus as His disciple as a result.

Carlos

Yes, I'm a born again Christian..... And i depend on Him, for all the necessary things. Only to Glorify God.... And i try my best to get a job....

Yes, I'm a born again Christian..... And i depend on Him, for all the necessary things. Only to Glorify God.... And i try my best to get a job....

That's wonderful Nitish! I would like to share a couple of other thoughts that the Lord seemed to give me this morning as I asked Him for further insight so as to be a better encouragement to you and others reading this thread.

Please take what I say and prayerfully consider it in the light of what the Word says for I am still learning and may not be entirely Scriptural in some particulars from time to time though I will try and stick only to sharing what I believe is supported by the Word.

First off I would like to draw attention to something said by Jesus in the verses I previously quoted. While the thrust of these verses is to NOT worry there is also an underlying truth that will enable us and help us not to worry in the verses.

And that truth is this.

God is NOT dependent on us to meet our needs. His provision is a factor of Himself. He is the provider. And He CAN provide for us as He provides for the birds of the air. Without our doing a thing to work into that provision.

I know that some of you might have a problem with what I just said but hold that thought and hear me out.

I am NOT saying that we are not to work. Not at all. It is a righteous and godly thing to work to meet our own needs and to have something to give others.

But God's provision is NOT dependent on us perfect working.

Look at salvation itself. Let me rephrase what I said above but this time respecting salvation.

God is NOT dependent on us to save ourselves. His salvation is a factor of Himself. He is the Savior. And He CAN save us as He saved Jesus both during His life and when He resurrected from the dead. Without our doing a thing to save ourselves.

True isn't it? Absolutely.

Faith in God in one area is faith in God in another. The principles by which we act in faith in one area are tranferrable to any other I think.

And just as we must be dependent on God for our salvation so too we must depend on God for our provision. Just as we cannot save ourselves so too our provision is NOT dependent on what we do. It IS dependent on what God does for us.

But just as the Gospel does not give us a licence to sin under grace so too the fact that the source of our provision is God does NOT give us a license to sit around drinking coolaid while waiting for God to provide.

We must act righteously under the Gospel and we must look for and work to whatever degree we are able to find it under the truth that God provides.

He may provide through a job or not but God DOES provide. HE is the source of provision. Not our job, our bank accounts, ourselves, or anything else. HE IS!

That means that if we lose our job and are laid off...God will still provide but through some other means.

That means that if we are injured and can no longer work that...God will still provide but through some other means than work.

That means that if a client who we were counting on to pay us, fails to pay us that...God will still provide but through some other means than that client.

That means that if our bank fails and the country falls over a cliff into all out Depression that...God will still provide for us despite our no longer having money in the bank!

God is the source of provision and He is NOT dependent on our job, our bank, our will to work, or even ourselves to provide!

Just as He is NOT dependent on us to save ourselves.

On our part we must act righteously and work if we can. We must be diligent in looking for work and doing whatever else we can but IF we fail in some way that does not mean that God will not provide for us still.

Just as our failure into some sin after becoming Christians does NOT mean that God will no longer save us.

God can provide through coin in the mouth of a fish as readily as He can provide for us through a job. But our DEPENDENCE MUST BE IN GOD! Not on ourselves, our job, our bank accounts, our retirement nest eggs or whatever.

The dependence is like faith in that it results in works. Works in line with looking for work, working, and doing other practical things. If we are dependent on God as we ought to be we WILL do things in line with that dependence to act out faith in God to provide but OUR HEART DEPENDENCE will be on God and not what we do to provide for our needs!

We will not get all anxious if the particular thing we are doing starts to unravel or fall apart whether it be a job, bank, or otherwise. Because God is the source of provision and He CAN provide for us as readily as He provides for the birds of the air.

Carlos