• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

1 Corinthians 12:1-11

Spiritual Gifts: Unity in Diversity

Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I don't know how any Christian cannot believe that Holy Spirit doesn't gift people with the ability to discern spirits, as that is one of His jobs. I have that gift, and I don't believe God wants me to announce to everyone what I have discovered. These gifts are to help the Body of Christ, and often, it is for my own benefit as well as others' to wait on God to tell me when and where and to whom to speak out about what has been discerned.

Although I feel the same as you regarding keeping things to myself, I can not help but wonder...

Is discerning spirits a "personal" gift, or is it intended for the church, in order to point out apostate teaching?

I'm not aware of any gift of the spirit that was meant for personal use.

It is for the edification of the Church. I am part of that Church, and the people I minister to are also. We are to be wise in the use of the gift, or it can become convoluted and involve more people than necessary, so that it becomes a side show.

I never said it is for personal use. Often if I discern an evil spirit, it is for me to know so that I will know how to conduct myself around that person. God is interested in me being wise, safe and unmolested by evil spirits. He is also interested in others being safe, too, and He tells me to warn another, I will, and I have.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

Hello TrackerJack.

My name is Dennis.

Yes I believe in the gifts that the Lord told us about in 1 Corinthians 12:1-11, I also believe that my Lord and Savior Jesus would never bless anyone with one of those gifts without giving them a clue on how to use it. As humans we, at times, get carried away with what we think and do. We get feelings and sometimes we let those feelings tell us things that are true and sometimes they are not. If one has been blessed with a discerning spirit, the truth that it will show you is not only of the world around you, but within you as well. One of the biggest thing to remember is that no gift from God will ever go against what God has told us in His Word. OneLight, has listed the gifts so I need not repeat that part of the post.

Sometimes as humans we open our mouth when we should be opening on ears to hear what God is telling us.

I pray that your confusion will be replaced with peace and truth for my Lord is not the author of confusion. The gifts are not to confuse but to build up the church and to warn us of dangers.

1Co 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Gal 5:24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Gal 5:26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

ICL~~~Dennis

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

I used to think along traditional charismatic lines concerning this gift...namely that you could tell if a 'spirit' was operating in a person, or meeting.

I have shifted my understanding and believe it is a reference to discerning the motivation behind a persons words, albeit still a supernatural gift

and one that seems to be desperately needed in these days. I think this is what believeinHim touched on.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1966

The gift of 'Discerning of Spirits' is for use within the body of Christ. This gift will not be given to those young in faith or lacking clear biblical teaching because they would not understand nor know what to do. This gift is used more within the bounds of leadership in the body and is very important in knowing how to pray for people as the Lord reveals the full extent of what is happening with another. Also with this gift, other gifts can operate and so see any person delivered completely.

Sometimes this gift will operate and you will have to go and pray privately for deliverance for someone until the right moment comes when you can approach the person and share what God is revealing. This gift also opens up the term 'Spiritual Warfare' as evil forces are revealed and because of the anointing present they have to flee...

Please remember, although we speak of one gifting of and through the Holy Spirit, the others also are in working order today. I call them 'Gods Toolbox' and when He is ready the gift of His choice will operate and fix whatever it is that needs fixing at that time.

This is just a small contribution to this thread.

God bless all, Laurence.

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Having just read a heated topic where believers were accusing each other of being judgemental, I would like to ask the reader if they believe in the gift of discerning spirits.

If you do believe in discerning spirits, how is that different from judging someone or something?

If you have the gift of discerning spirits, are you not obligated by that gift to inform others what is a true spirit and what is a false spirit?

Lets try to keep this thread uplifting and informative, so that we can grow in Christ. If you feel the need to mention names, do it in the other thread. (That way this thread wont be closed down)

Theres is a difference in discernment and judging, we can come to understand something, given insights as to why someone is doing something, and or seeing darkness where there should be light. What people sometimes do not see about jugding is that judgment is based solely on Gods commandments and nothing more. Its not about confronting someone with what we think is wrong but completely and utterly based on what God sees as wrong. We can discern that there is something wrong, we go to the person and speak to them, we are to do things biblically and not emotionally. Its all based on His words not our opinions. If we use our discernment as some kind of strong arm or voice to brow beat we are in err, when we use our discernment and then judge with the complete understanding it is Gods righteous instructions that we are to use then we find He is there as a witness.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Having just read a heated topic where believers were accusing each other of being judgemental, I would like to ask the reader if they believe in the gift of discerning spirits.

If you do believe in discerning spirits, how is that different from judging someone or something?

If you have the gift of discerning spirits, are you not obligated by that gift to inform others what is a true spirit and what is a false spirit?

Lets try to keep this thread uplifting and informative, so that we can grow in Christ. If you feel the need to mention names, do it in the other thread. (That way this thread wont be closed down)

Best to keep the judgement side of things out of this one IMO, but I'm sure that won't happen :rolleyes:

Anywaaaaaay.........

No one is under obligation to use any gift given unless it is for the edification of the body of Christ. Even then, we ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a choice.

People who try to convince themself and others they have no choice in their words or actions and they are 'under' the power of the Holy Spirit, are either

untaught or under an influence that is NOT the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit does not force people nor does He want them to abandon their own

reasoning and empty their minds.

The main prob with believers (the way I and many others see it) is the 'Lone Ranger' mentality. As in, since I have this gift I cannot ever be wrong and

therefore I must enlighten everyone (especially other believers) and tell them all about my gift, my giftings and my special revelation knowledge.

The only reaction anyone should have to that scenerio, is :whistling:

While the Bible most definately does describe the gift of discerning of spirits, there is also the very practical side of actual STUDY of the Bible.

A person who is knowledeable about the Bible, understands how God speaks and what will be in keeping with His revealed Word. That person

will have a far greater tendency to the actual PRACTICAL and OBJECTIVE and GENUINE gift of the discerning of spirits. Remember, the Holy Spirit BRINGS TO MIND the

scriptures..He DOES NOT pop stuff into our minds and voila we know more than Paul, Peter and others who have gone before.

This gift is often unfortuneatly used to clobber other believers and accuse them...the devil's little helper.

EVERY Christian needs discernment. Anyone who charges out of the starting gate flinging discernment in every direction most likely does not have that gift OR

again, needs TEACHING. While I am at it, some people with 'gifts' have an unteachable spirit. They may have started out with the real thing, but end up

with something...not real....just really nasty.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are NOT as mysterious as some would have us to believe and they DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT make anyone special or worth more

nor do they give ANYONE (but especially those who insist the opposite) the final say in ANY MATTER. The spirit of the prophets are subject to the prophets

(yes I know we are not discussing that in particular) and with any gift, if everyone else disagrees with you (generic you) you should most likely sit up and take

notice and revise what you think you have heard or understood.

The gifts are for practical application...not making Christian superstars or for the use of the individual...even when used one on one, it is still the body of Christ...right?

Sometimes people confuse which gifts are in operation or mislabel their own gift. That may be a topic for another thread tho

DISCLAIMER: I HAVE NOT READ ANY OTHER POSTS SO KINDLY DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SAY I AM ARGUING WITH YOU, JUDGING YOU OR OTHERWISE SINGLING YOU OUT :sneaking:

I'll go back and read now